MusicGuyMic Pre-order - Please Help, Advice Needed

MrWally

Reaction score
First off, I wanted to say "thank you" to everyone here. I know I'm one of those jerks who just lurks around and never contributes, just feeding off the community, but nonetheless you all have been amazing and have constantly helped me ever since I started getting interested in ukulele back in 2009.

Also: If there is already a thread about this, I'm sorry. I searched around, but couldn't find anything.

My Problem: I ordered a Kala Acacia Tenor from MusicGuyMic back in January. It was my first "big" purchase when it comes to the uke (I've been using a GC Lanikai since I started). I chose to go with MGM over other sites, even though he had none in stock while others did, because I had heard of his incredible service. Unfortunately, this was a mistake.

He told me the order would come in about 45 days. When there was a delay I didn't worry, I trusted it would show up. We emailed back and forth every few weeks and he kept telling me that it would probably be on the next shipment.

Then, as you all know, MGM's battle with liver failure took a turn for the worse and he had to shut down his business. He sent me an email saying that all of his shipments had arrived and I could expect my uke later that week or so, then a week later he apologized saying that he was mistaken and had never received it.

By this point I was getting a little worried, so I asked if I could just get a refund. He told me that his accounts had been shut down and that I would have to wait. This was almost a month ago. I haven't heard from him sense, despite trying to reach him.

Now, I know Mike is a reputable seller, and he seems like a great guy, and I can't imagine what he might be going through. But I also know that I'm a poor college student, my computer just failed, I need to buy a new one for my studies and my work, and I seriously need my $325. It would also be nice to get the ukulele I've been looking forward to since January.

Has there been any update on Mike's condition recently? Is there someone else who was a part of his business that I could contact? Does anyone have any suggestion?

tl;dr - I pre-ordered a ukulele from MGM almost half a year ago, haven't heard anything in weeks, and would really like a refund for school expenses (considering the uku is most likely not an option).

Again, I know that Mike is in critical condition and I was really worried about posting this and coming off as a prick, but my parents recommended that I had waited long enough. Does anyone have advice for what I can do?

First off, I wanted to say "thank you" to everyone here. I know I'm one of those jerks who just lurks around and never contributes, just feeding off the community, but nonetheless you all have been amazing and have constantly helped me ever since I started getting interested in ukulele back in 2009.

Also: If there is already a thread about this, I'm sorry. I searched around, but couldn't find anything.

My Problem: I ordered a Kala Acacia Tenor from MusicGuyMic back in January. It was my first "big" purchase when it comes to the uke (I've been using a GC Lanikai since I started). I chose to go with MGM over other sites, even though he had none in stock while others did, because I had heard of his incredible service. Unfortunately, this was a mistake.

He told me the order would come in about 45 days. When there was a delay I didn't worry, I trusted it would show up. We emailed back and forth every few weeks and he kept telling me that it would probably be on the next shipment.

Then, as you all know, MGM's battle with liver failure took a turn for the worse and he had to shut down his business. He sent me an email saying that all of his shipments had arrived and I could expect my uke later that week or so, then a week later he apologized saying that he was mistaken and had never received it.

By this point I was getting a little worried, so I asked if I could just get a refund. He told me that his accounts had been shut down and that I would have to wait. This was almost a month ago. I haven't heard from him sense, despite trying to reach him.

Now, I know Mike is a reputable seller, and he seems like a great guy, and I can't imagine what he might be going through. But I also know that I'm a poor college student, my computer just failed, I need to buy a new one for my studies and my work, and I seriously need my $325. It would also be nice to get the ukulele I've been looking forward to since January.

Has there been any update on Mike's condition recently? Is there someone else who was a part of his business that I could contact? Does anyone have any suggestion?

tl;dr - I pre-ordered a ukulele from MGM almost half a year ago, haven't heard anything in weeks, and would really like a refund for school expenses (considering the uku is most likely not an option).

Again, I know that Mike is in critical condition and I was really worried about posting this and coming off as a prick, but my parents recommended that I had waited long enough. Does anyone have advice for what I can do?

nothing wrong with what you are doing. If your story is true, don't be ashamed to ask for help. Here is MGM's current contact info in post 14 in this thread http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?47533-Where-to-buy-KoAloha/page2
That is a long time. I know that when one buys a pre-order, you are at the mercy of ths ships coming over from china, but you have waited long enough. Good Luck, and remember, you catch more flies with sugar/honey than with vinegar.

Last edited:
Luck, and remember, you catch more flies with sugar than honey.

I kind of did a double take on that one - I think the expression you're thinking of is, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Kinda made my day, though. :)

I kind of did a double take on that one - I think the expression you're thinking of is, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Kinda made my day, though. :)

buhahahaha!!You are so true. I guess this is just my heart. Viegar isn't even in my language:) LOL!! I spent all day outside in the sun today so I am a little off.

Should you really even be attempting to purchase instruments if your funds are that tight?

Should you really even be attempting to purchase instruments if your funds are that tight?
Uke will see you through times with no money better than money will see you through times with no uke.

Was that bit of moralising really necessary? A fella is trying honestly, respectfully and with much patience and care to air his legitimate concerns and ask for some advice, and you say that? Seriously....

I agree with John, contact him ASAP...it probally was an oversight with all his issues....John left the page with his current phone number...

Was that bit of moralising really necessary? A fella is trying honestly, respectfully and with much patience and care to air his legitimate concerns and ask for some advice, and you say that? Seriously....

:agree: :agree:

Thanks Eugene, that needed saying :p

My funds weren't tight when I pre-ordered the ukulele, and like I said in the post, the main reason my funds are tight now is because I'll have to purchase a new computer in the Fall if I would like to continue with my business.

Thank you all so much for the help and the support! I'm glad to hear that I'm not coming off too harsh or forward. I just really want to get this whole mess solved as soon as possible so I can stop worrying about it! :)

I'll definitely update you all on how the process goes and if it gets worked out!

Top Bottom