My next uke

Laouik

Reaction score
So I thought I'd share a beginner's uke-decision process.

I've been playing for about 8 months. I picked up a solid top Mahalo at a local music store here in Toronto (12th Fret on Danforth) and started exploring the ukulele.

After going to a uke jam night at the Dominion pub, I left with brow furrowed as I couldn't hear my little Mahalo, the instruments next to me (mostly Kalas and Oscar Schmidts) just drowned it out. And most were other sopranos, not concerts.

I did a bit more research, managed to sell my Mahalo for 80% of what I'd paid for it and bought a Kiwaya KTS-4. I love this little marvel. It's made by T's Guitars in Japan and essentially a copy of a Martin ukulele from the 1930s. I play it almost every day. Though I wish that the time spent playing it was more representative of my ability, I don't care how good I am - I simply love playing it.

After playing the uke for about 6 months I finally left home with it and played with some friends. One person noted that perhaps a tenor might be an eventual upgrade for me. Given that I'm 6'5" and have rather large hands, the longer fretboard may prove advantageous if I'm struggling with the soprano.

I gave it some thought and started saving up to double my uke collection. I was torn. The Kiwaya wasn't cheap, and I wanted something of similar or better quality as it's clear that I'll be playing the uke for years to come. My first instinct was to aim for one of the big Ks. Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanile'a. I read the websites. Scoured YouTube for decent-quality clips (hoping there's be 720p videos with better sound). There are no stores in Toronto that carries them, you see. It would be a gamble.

I was initially set on a Kanile'a Tenor. On paper, everything about it was right to me. Aesthetics, engineering, etc.

Then I stumbled across something. A local luthier makes ukuleles! The appeal of a Hawaiian uke was immense, but my curiosity was piqued. I looked it up. It's in the style of Maccaferri guitars. He uses different woods depending on the person's choice. It takes him about 120 hours to make one.

The name of the man is Luis Feu de Mesquita. After some e-mail exchanges, where he sent me numerous pictures, I went over and had a look. He had two he'd made for the upcoming Montreal Guitar show and was willing to let me have one. Wow.

One is a cutaway and the other standard. Both with western red cedar top, Malaysian rosewood sides and back, slotted headstock. I opted for the standard and put a deposit down. I'll be picking it up this coming Friday. :D

Bracing method he uses:
Untitled-1.jpg

Front:
IMG_0022a.jpg

Back:
IMG_0023b.jpg

Last edited:
Great story, Laouik! Very cool to end your search with a locally-made ukulele! The oblong soundhole is unique, and the extended fretboard cries out, "Reach all the way up here and see how this note sounds!" Now you'll have your choice of two wonderful ukes each time you sit down to play. Enjoy it!

Very cool looking ukulele, I've wanted to play one like that since I got the Learning to play fingerstyle solos book, it has a Macceferri style uke on the cover. Congrats!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm in love with this uke!

Wow. The uke and its lattice bracing look amazing. we'll definitely expect some more pics and a sound sample!
That uke reminds me of Kepasa's Gypsy Rose.

Verrrrrry pretty ukulele. The neck appears to be rather thick and boxy shaped. Having owned a KTS-4 in the past, I know their necks are on the slender side. Very nice.

I'm curious how you find the neck on your new custom?

I myself having a madagascar rosewood side and back and spruce top uke, it is bright, clear, clean and crisp notes.. I've noticed it has a huge sound hole too...wonder how that will sound ...
yes someone mentioned the boxey C shaped neck like Kanilea.. Wasn't too comfortable for me either...other than that it looks awesome..Congratulations..have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings
Let us know how it turns out...MM Stan

Just noticed it has zero fret too....a thinner neck will improve playability ...maybe you can ask for changes now.....

Last edited:
yes someone mentioned the boxey C shaped neck like Kanilea.. Wasn't too comfortable for me either...other than that it looks awesome..Congratulations..have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings
Let us know how it turns out...MM Stan

Verrrrrry pretty ukulele. The neck appears to be rather thick and boxy shaped. Having owned a KTS-4 in the past, I know their necks are on the slender side. Very nice.

I'm curious how you find the neck on your new custom?

When I tried it out, the size of the neck felt really good in my hand and allowed me to manoeuvre with more precision, even though I need to move my hand more... perhaps has to do with my large hands!

Wow. The uke and its lattice bracing look amazing. we'll definitely expect some more pics and a sound sample!
That uke reminds me of Kepasa's Gypsy Rose.
Indeed it does! Both appear to be Maccaferri-inspired. I'll be doing a comparo with the soprano KTS-4. It's not apples to apples, but it's what I have... If I can get my hands on another tenor I'll be sure to compare. You can see my clumsy first videos on my YouTube channel (Laouik).

As for the lattice bracing, he noted that most ukes have a fan-type bracing which he didn't feel did them justice, but at the same time doesn't want to impose on the sound too much. He makes classical and flamenco guitars, mostly.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm in love with this uke!

That makes two of us :D
Here's some details of the headstock. This is for the cutaway uke... mine has blue and green detailing whereas this one just has a beige line where the two woods meet.

IMG_0008.jpg

Very cool looking ukulele, I've wanted to play one like that since I got the Learning to play fingerstyle solos book, it has a Macceferri style uke on the cover. Congrats!
Now you know where you can get one! :D
www.lfdmguitars.ca!

Great story, Laouik! Very cool to end your search with a locally-made ukulele! The oblong soundhole is unique, and the extended fretboard cries out, "Reach all the way up here and see how this note sounds!" Now you'll have your choice of two wonderful ukes each time you sit down to play. Enjoy it!

I know! I was so set on a Hawaiian one, too. I even had a Kanile'a logo on my savings box hidden in my home in anticipation. My blog post about the selection process details what happened.

And yes, I plan on having fun with that extra little fret. Before I leave his workshop, I'll be testing it out, making sure it has the sustain I expect, even all the way up that fretboard!

easily the most interesting ukulele i've seen here for ages.

great that your supporting a local too. (they tend to always be better value too)
does he have a guitar making background?

Cheers

Cliff

easily the most interesting ukulele i've seen here for ages.

great that your supporting a local too. (they tend to always be better value too)
does he have a guitar making background?

Cheers

Cliff

You should see the cutaway version :) Doesn't speak to me as much as the standard, but it's certainly an eye-catcher. He'll be taking the cutaway model to the Montreal Guitar Show (he was going to take both, but he was kind enough to let me acquire the standard one). He can't believe how popular his ukes are, though he doesn't make many (mine took him about 120 hours to make, he said).

The fact that it's local did have a notable factor in my selection. Why purchase a factory-made uke when I can get a hand-crafted luthier-made uke and drive to his workshop!

He makes guitars, yes. His website shows his general selection. I'll be taking high-res pics when I get it on Friday to do it better justice. You should see how good the curly maple purfling on the back looks in juxtaposition to the madagascar rosewood!!

that is sweet! Really cool supporting the local economy.

Good for you, its a very interesting looking Uke and knowing that its made by a local Luthier is certainly quite special.
Cheers -F

Wow your uke is awesome....amn I think it<s been a while that I don<t have UAS but seeing this one make my UAS coming back again!!! Specially when I know it's build by Luis Feu de Mesquita!!! I don't know how his uke sounds like but man, I have the chance to try his Negra Flamenco guitar....and.....it's insane!!!!!!!! It cost around 4000-5000$ too!!!!

If it's not too personal, how much is your uke go for?

I'll try to go check them out at the Montreal Guitar show since I'm from Montreal...

Thanks for sharing this!

Wow your uke is awesome....amn I think it<s been a while that I don<t have UAS but seeing this one make my UAS coming back again!!! Specially when I know it's build by Luis Feu de Mesquita!!! I don't know how his uke sounds like but man, I have the chance to try his Negra Flamenco guitar....and.....it's insane!!!!!!!! It cost around 4000-5000$ too!!!!

If it's not too personal, how much is your uke go for?

I'll try to go check them out at the Montreal Guitar show since I'm from Montreal...

Thanks for sharing this!

Once Ukulele Acquisition Syndrom hits, there's only one cure!

Il a des prix sur son site web (http://lfdmguitars.ca/choosing-a-custom-guitar#ukulele) mais tout dépend des bois, accoutrements, etc. When you consider that he puts in over 120 hours to make one, he's really giving them away!

He played one of his Brazilian rosewood guitars when I was there. The high notes have an incredible, pitch-perfect, endless sustain. I couldn't believe the sound. As for the uke, I won't lie. I was a little timid, overwhelmed, when he handed it to me. I'll be playing it more before leaving his workshop this Friday, but the tone I heard when I tried it was remarkable.

Plus, knowing I'm getting an instrument made by one person, from start to finish, rather than a factory-made instrument really speaks to me. I was so set on a Kanile'a, but coming across his ukes changed my perspective. And I shook the hand of the magician who created it.

She's a beauty!!!

Mason671

Simply stunning. Congratulations on your custom uke! Can't help that jealous feeling inside!

Top Bottom