help deciding on 1st uke!

ryanmalone69

Reaction score
okay, so i have no musical ability with a uke or guitar, but i realllly want to learn to play the uke. i dont want a cheap one or one thats too expensive. so i thought i had the one i wanted all picked out. i was going to get the Cordoba 15CM Concert Ukulele

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cordoba-15CM-Concert-Ukulele-H63578-i1559526.gc

but then i found this Epiphone Les Paul Acoustic-Electric Concert Ukulele

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...ric-Concert-Ukulele-Outfit-H69840-i1689587.gc

i really like the idea of being able to use an amp with the les paul uke, but im wondering if that will take away from its natural sound and even that natural uke look.

so give me some suggestions and tell me what you guys think i should do! thanks!!

I would recommend spending just a tad more and getting a solid top uke. I'm no expert but have read a lot of forums before buying my first Uke 3 weeks ago. I purchased a second uke 2 days ago so as you can see it's very addicting. Can you say UAS!!!

Lots of people say Ohana or Mainland for about a $120 more...if you want to stay in that $100 range, it's best to go to several stores and try them out since at that price range, they should be comparable. MM Stan made a very good point to me last time as it's going to cost about $40 to setup so it's better to pay a little more for a ukulele dealer who will setup the uke. Several out there. GLWS!!!

With no musical ability, it'll be tough to choose. Do you have any friends that play guitar or ukulele who'd be willing to head to a music store with you? They could play all the ukes in your price range (and even teach you a couple chords!), then you could decide. If that's not possible, consider contacting Uke Republic or Mim about getting a nicely set-up starter ukulele. Lanikai, Makala, Mainland, and Ohana all make good ukuleles that cost less than $100.

With no musical ability, it'll be tough to choose. Do you have any friends that play guitar or ukulele who'd be willing to head to a music store with you? They could play all the ukes in your price range (and even teach you a couple chords!), then you could decide. If that's not possible, consider contacting Uke Republic or Mim about getting a nicely set-up starter ukulele. Lanikai, Makala, Mainland, and Ohana all make good ukuleles that cost less than $100.
mainlands are a little more than $100 unless you wanted a gecko one.
I second this opinion though. Contact a uke dealer www.ukerepublic.com or www.mimsukes.com for a nice ukulele that is set up and cared for.

Ditto ditto ditto!!! I have had nothing but good luck with my ukes but that is because I have purchased pre owned from the good folk of uu or reputably dealers that do professional set ups. Good luck and be careful they are addicting.

The epiphone sounds better with an AMP. It doesn't sound so hot as an acoustic in my opinion. Did you compare the two? Those are just my ears sayin' that.

Aloha Ryan,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..have fun and enjoy...I would suggest you go down and try them, because all uke differ in sound and even in the same brand and model..if you cannot distinguish
the good ones, ask for help and ask a salesman play them side to side for comparisons for you to listen which one pleases you... even the cheap ones you can find gems but more inconsistant in
quality and sound.. I started off with a real cheapie...A rogue soprano from Musicians friend for 24.99..but you do know how to tune them by ear...they dont sound too good in regular tuning..
but I play it still everyday and love it...from my other more real expensive ukes..it has a traditional non comples sound which I like....Hope it helps,,good luck,,,and ask for more help if needed..
Lanikai Lu21 and Oscar Schmit Monagany lams are good staters and bargins....unless you want to spend more which is good too...A better instrument will sound better, have better playability,
and comfort and be more consistant in sounding good, but not always..and built bettter with craftsmanship..and improved looks..and have a better learning curb...at least hope so...ha ha

I'd suggest any Kala Uke with or without a pickup.

Kala Ukulele's are well constructed, very affordable well respected Uke's that are available in a wide range of sizes and styles for beginners too, experts.

Last edited:
I just bought my 2nd ukulele yesterday, it was a Vineyard Zebrawood Concert ukulele Ck-Z-88, cost me $129 at my music store and you can buy it online, one of the best ukuleles for under $150 and it has a nice gloss finish and delicious sound haha.

I used the same guidelines when I bought my first uke as I did with my guitars. Decide the amount you're willing to spend then look for the best for that price. Stick with acoustic, pick a size and try to stick to solid woods. A solid top is a must, a solid back next in importance then the sides. Although not necessarily a traditional ukulele wood a solid spruce top seems to give the best projection. If you're willing to spend $200, I'd recommend a Mainland. I recently bought one from Uke Republic and have been more than happy with it. Also the cheaper the uke the more important a professional setup.

I too would stick with a dealer and ask what they can do for you. As for amplifying your playing, it might be better to wait till you played a while since you are new:)

I agree with what some others have said. The Cordoba wouldn't be my first choice although I'm pretty sure it's got a solid top. I know first hand that Kala makes a good uke at pretty good prices.

Top Bottom