PDA

View Full Version : What should my first Uke be?

mynameisHANNAH
05-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I have recently moved to america from england and as I don't know many people here yet, I would like a project to fill my free time with.
I am really attracted to the idea of buying and learning to play the ukelele, obviously. I went into my local music store and there was a wall filled with uke's one of them being a gorgeous epiphone les paul, I have heard mixed reviews on it, my big question is, is it worth buying? as a starter uke, which brands should I look for?

savagehenry
05-29-2011, 09:12 AM
The first thing you need to do is figure out a budget, how much are you comfortable spending. Next, go to the store and play as many ukuleles as possible. You need to figure out which scale suits you best. Then you have a budget and know what size uke you want, the shopping begins.

mynameisHANNAH
05-29-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't really want to spend more than $150, the only thing about going and playing them is can't play a chord so I'd have no idea what I was doing.

Also I am quite attracted to an electric as I live in my employers house so it would be nice to plug the uke into an amp & listen to it through headphones, what I like about the epiphone is it has an acoustic part to it, so when I get better at it I can take it places and play without an amp, plus even if I were to play it at home as I believe, its not too loud, therefore would hopefully not bother anyone else in the house.
This being said if this is not really a good buy I am open to suggestions on other types.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-29-2011, 09:29 AM
It'd be a good idea to ask someone who works at your music shop to strum the ukuleles you find appealing. You'll quickly recognize the ones that sound good to you. He or she should also be able to show you how to play one or two chords, so you can get a feel for which size you'll prefer to start. There are many nice ukuleles (Lanikai, Kala, Mainland, Ohana) available in your price range, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a great one.

If the music store experience doesn't work out (some employees may not be helpful), try contacting Uke Republic, Mim, or another online retailer that sets up the ukes they sell. A uke that's properly set up is much more fun to play.

savagehenry
05-29-2011, 09:38 AM
They may be a little above your price range, but check out an Eleuke. They are electric ukuleles with built in jacks for headphones and even one for an mp3 player so you can play along with your favorite songs. Try contacting Mim from Mims Ukes, she's the person to get a Eleuke from, she's on eBay and is a member here. I got an acoustic Eleuke from her and it came set up beautifully and she was very cool to deal with.

PhilUSAFRet
05-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Welcome, Use Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp to learn chords (it's free) Good luck with your uke shopping. Sooooooo many choices. Most of what you need to know can be found right here.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/QB7udDJq/Free_Booklet_.html

JoeUke
05-29-2011, 09:44 AM
You can get any brand with an electric pick-up. Just decide what fits you the best in your price range. Try all of the sizes and brands and you'll find your favorite even if you are just learning.

mynameisHANNAH
05-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys for all your help!

savagehenry
05-29-2011, 09:49 AM
It's great to get feedback from everyone, but remember when it's all said and done, it's just you and your ukulele, so make sure you buy something that "you" like.

mm stan
05-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Aloha Hannah,
Welcome to the UU and our humble forums and the ukulele...If you're a beginner and not sure if you will continue it..I'd get a starter uke first...Try them to see how they sound and pick the best one
that you like the sound of... and check for size too..soprano, concert, tenor or baritone...Lanikai, dolphins, Oscar Schmidt, are great budget starters..I started with a real cheapie, and still play it
daily today...a Rogue soprano, However I won't recommend it to you and you cannot tune by ear yet..because it sounds better in dropped tuning.. main thing, get yourself a digital chromatic
clip on tuner...it will take the fustration away and make it simplier and faster..mine is a http://www.metronomes.net/CherubChromaticMateWst-550C.htm believe it is worth every penny.....
Most important get it.. As for learning, google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome video ukulele tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords and instructions..fellow uk uker...he's great..
Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Doc_J
05-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I have recently moved to america from england and as I don't know many people here yet, I would like a project to fill my free time with.
I am really attracted to the idea of buying and learning to play the ukelele, obviously. I went into my local music store and there was a wall filled with uke's one of them being a gorgeous epiphone les paul, I have heard mixed reviews on it, my big question is, is it worth buying? as a starter uke, which brands should I look for?

It's great you can go to a local music store. I you haven't yet, try to spend some quality time the ukes on your short list at the store. See what feels and sounds the best to you. Make sure the demo uke you play is set up right and in-tune. Strum some basic cords, pick up and down each string to see what all the notes sound like. It will be clear to you which one is right. There really is no wrong choice.

Post what you end up selecting.

ConspiracyUkeist
05-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Get a Cordoba 15CM and download Uncle Rod's Boot Camp to learn the chords, and your total cost will be $100 (plus whatever the sales tax is in your new state, they vary but are all much lower than the UK's VAT) and you'll take off like a rocket.

zac987
05-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Ohana, imo, is the best value you can get for your price range.

RosevilleJohn
10-31-2011, 06:40 AM
You asked about the Epiphone Les Paul. but I don't think anyone replied to that question; which did you wind up with? I ask because I am waiting for delivery of a
Epiphone Les Paul as we speak

rreffner
10-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Where in America do you live?

RosevilleJohn
10-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Where in America do you live?

Northern California. You?

ukuleleforbeginners
10-31-2011, 07:12 AM
I will actually be in Northern California visiting this coming winter. Maybe we can hook up if I have time. Don't know if it will be possible though since I will only be there for a couple of weeks. I am assuming you are in Roseville?

ukulele4kids
11-01-2011, 10:12 AM
If you haven't played before consider going towards the cheaper end. This way if you find it's not for you you haven't spent a lot of money.
Try a Makala Dolphin, view article http://wp.me/p1syfH-E
or a
A Kala KA-15s, view article http://wp.me/p1syfH-2b
consider buying an electronic tuner to go with your ukulele, view article http://wp.me/p1syfH-L

Cheers
Ukulele4kids
www.ukulele4kids.wordpress.com