Funny commercial with a uke in it...

King Kululele is great! I have his cd!

Satellites?? ha ha I agree almost in the Tiny Tim Cat ah Gory....but he's a more better and a current version of him...

Last edited:
Funny commercial. Thanks for posting it.

Love the wrist "leash"!

Mixed feelings here... Disappointed that it's yet another portrayal of the ukulele as something less than a real instrument. Happy to see the ukulele being acknowledged in mainstream media at all.

Loved it. I thought it was a lovely tribute to both the Hawaiian history AND a nod to the history of the ukulele's novelty history.
Plus, he played well.

Yes, we all know it's a real instrument, but to dismiss it's history in comedy and novelty acts does it a disservice.

And who cares what anyone else thinks. WE know that it's a real instrument.

Mixed feelings here... Disappointed that it's yet another portrayal of the ukulele as something less than a real instrument. Happy to see the ukulele being acknowledged in mainstream media at all.

I agree. This is one step away from putting a film clip of Tiny Tim in an ad, although the guy in this ad is playing better than Tiny Tim did while doing his shtick.

I recognized him from "Mighty Uke", but didn't know his name. He IS a good player, and (for good or bad) upholds the long novelty tradition of the ukulele.

An odd commercial, but I can see the funny side of it! I love the uke, and I do believe its a valid instrument in its own right but I agree in thinking we need to be a little relaxed about its image of being a slightly comedic instrument too. That is a large part of its history, as has been said already. And if you want to prove its a relative instrument, get out there and get stuck in and show people how sweet it can be! Thats my attitude to it anyway, its quite enjoyable to surprise people with its versatility sometimes.
Also, if I was in that chaps position, stuck in the middle of the desert with an over-enthusiastic, irritating and repetitive uke player I would be PRAYING for a sattelite radio to drown him out......That or a Shot-gun. I'm undecided who for.
Cheers! -F

How about this one. It's an advertisement for a godawful student-level beer from the deep south of NZ. It's rugged and cold down there so they advertise on the premise of being tougher people. In their most recent series, a rugged old station worker takes a bunch of city boys through a "southern man finishing school"

Top Bottom