Saving for uke...a realllll nice one. :D

KoloheBoy

UU Intern
Reaction score
So im starting to put some money aside for a really nice uke to get some time in the future. I'm debating on Kamaka, or Gstring. Both Ihear are really good. and bout the same price. I just want to hear from the kamakz and gstring guyz about what they like better or w/e. I know im not being specific but just the brands and quality and sound of the more expensive ukes is what id like to know.:) much mahaloz...

ill give a reveiw of the gstring soprano when i get my hands on it in about a month. luckily for you, you live on the islands so you have a chance to try diffrent things out.

fyi: the gstring website is a couple years old (straight from dereks email)

Dude, you live here on Oahu, so you can def try the instruments and decide for yourself. I reccomend Easy Music Center on King, because they're very chill about trying their instruments and are extremely low pressure. Plus their prices are pretty negotiable within reason. I also reccomend them because they have a wide selection of brands and I know they have G String and Kamaka (as well as KoAloha and Kanilea.) Unfortunately, some of the other stores here don't have as large of a selection. For example, Dan's Guitar is a nice place, but they carry mainly KoAloha and Kamaka, with no Kanileas in sight (don't remember seeing G Strings either, but I could be wrong.) The only other store that I have visited with as wide of a selection is Bob's Ukulele in Waikiki. But the time I was in there, the owner was rather cold, and I have heard similar stories about Bob's customer service. I wish I could comment on Ukulele Pua Pua, but I have never visited their actual store.

I say that you go into the stores and actually try the ukes and be open to Kanilea and KoAloha too. I myself was saving up and was set on Kamaka, but after trying a Kanilea, decided that I had to have it over the Kamaka. Good luck saving!

Lucky you live in Hawaii . . .

I've not played a Kamaka, but I fell in love Juha's G String when I got a chance to get my hands on it. ;)

not much help

I haven't had a chance to try out either but I've watched youtube vids of both.
You could listen and see what models you might be interested in trying.

Personally, you'd have to ask yourself, "Would a G-string look good on me?"

forn381l.jpg

So im starting to put some money aside for a really nice uke to get some time in the future. I'm debating on Kamaka, or Gstring. Both Ihear are really good. and bout the same price. I just want to hear from the kamakz and gstring guyz about what they like better or w/e. I know im not being specific but just the brands and quality and sound of the more expensive ukes is what id like to know.:) much mahaloz...

Hey I'm in the same position as you and am saving up for a nice uke. I really like the look of Koalohas, and from what I've seen and heard from various people and videos on youtube etc they seem like decent ukes. They are all hand finished in solid koa with a sapele neck and have very distinctive design elements. Their website is www.koaloha.com, when I get the money I think I'm going to get the tenor version.

If I was in your position I'd play as many as you can and get whichever sounds and feels best for you. I don't think you can go wrong with the brand names you've mentioned.

Sorry to add to an already difficult decision-making process!

John

It's a bit apples to oranges, but I do think the G String concert bested my Koaloha soprano. Not that my Koaloha sucks, I think the Koaloha sound really excels at the soprano size, but the G String did best it.

That may be, but the KoAloha concert I just got (made April 2000) absolutely astounds me. It absolutely sings and sustains and plays like butter....

Nevertheless if I may reiterate what others have previously pointed out, You are on Oahu. Turn off the damn computer and go to a music store and try them for yourself. You can.

Hell, you can go directly to any number of makers yourself and hang out and point to one coming off the line and say, "I want that one"

I play very tiny violin for your dilemma...

thanks for the help guys. :cool:

I guess ill be cruising in the guitar and ukulele shops...Illl probably get kicked out though because i could stay in there all day. :p I love being around those environments :D

Hey hey, I played a Martin uke today! Okay, well it wasn't the 5k, but a pretty old soprano. It was my friend's. I don't have many details on it, but it had to be the best sounding vintage uke that I have ever tried (not that I've tried too many.) But the projection was just insane for such a small instrument. When I played it, it felt like the sound was all coming from this one spot on the back of the uke, close to the bottom. Can't really describe it, but it was a gooood instrument. Action was a bit high, but man, it made better sound than my kamaka soprano.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
50k!! hahahaha
50k is like the world off your chest!
why wud u spend it on a uke... soprano even

Because if you can afford to be spending 50k on an instrument, you're probably not the kind of person who's going to be worried about it too much.

Top Bottom