Replacement Bridge Advice Needed

Aggie80

Reaction score
Near the base of the thumb in the mitten state.
So, went to the traditional family Memorial Day picnic and naturally took along the ukulele. The host at one point said "Got one of those in the basement." So the other musician there said, "Get it out!" After following a couple of threads through wives and children it was a dead end. Ten minutes later another person asked if I was the one that had been playing the ukulele. "I have one in my trunk!" Turns out it was the one the host had remembered, but had been traveling around the family, no one really wanted it, but no one wanted to get rid of it, as it had belonged to their mother.

Long story short, I have a Lyon & Healy Washburn 702. A few minor scratches in the finish and a bit of wear. The biggest issue is that the bridge is missing. Someone had obtained a replacement bridge, but it isn't the original shape.

Where can I get a Washburn replacement bridge? Is it worth paying a luthier to make a new one? How much is reasonable to invest in this instrument?

Or should I just use the one I have? It is a pretty good color match for the wood, other than the insert being swapped from white to black to match the nut.

Last edited:
Great story! I'm sure you'll enjoy the uke once its back from the luthier. I had a similar dilemna - I bought a 20's Martin 0 that has a very chewed up bridge (looks like many, many steel strings were pulled through the bridge slots.) The lutheirs here on UU suggested that the BEST thing to do would be to replace it & one even offered to build me a replacement bridge from measurements (Ken Timms, no less whose replica Martins are spot-on!) So, I have a "local" luthier, though he just moved to Michigan(!), and in the meantime bought a replacement bridge from Martin stock & as soon as my luthier is settled in to the new digs & has the shop going, I'll be sending my Martin off to christen his new business location.

In my mind, getting a playable, but still 99.9% vintage uke back will be well-worth the price - whatever that may be.

(as an aside, I also sent a vintage Kamaka to the factory for repair & was just notified it was ready for shipping! It needed bridge replacement, top replacement, new tuners, and general cleaning/refinishing - for $275 + shipping)

Congratulations! That's pretty much the way I obtained my Kamaka! It was missing the nut and bridge, too. I ordered new ones from Kamaka, but they were too big. In the end, I ended up taking it to a luthier, who built new ones, and repaired other issues with the uke, all for around $100. This guy works at the Sam Ash store in Indianapolis. I know some other luthiers around town, too. You should be able to find someone who knows what they are doing if you ask around your town. Good luck!

Okay, sent it off the Dave Talsma and he sent a picture Saturday morning! Can't wait to pick it up!
P6110822.JPG

That's a beautiful uke, it has lots of mojo. Excellent...

Beautiful ukulele. Wishing you many happy moments with it............................BO.......................

Top Bottom