Wound G string

elgooch808

Reaction score
So I've been interested in switching to a wound G and didn't know much about it. I have three Ukes (Tenor, Concert, Soprano), since I play the soprano the least I decided to use that one as my test subject.

Went and bought a set of Aquilas with a wound G (I have aquila on all my Ukes) swapped out the G string, On any chord where the G is played open its sounds a little to buzzy for my taste.

So my question is, should I try a different brand? Does it have anything to do with the uke? Should I have used on of the other ukes I have as a test subject?

Looking for some tips...

I think it MIGHT be good on a tenor but I don't think its so good on a soprano. String tension is too low.

Lack of tension may make it vibrate so much that it rattles against the frets or another part... Sometimes something as string type can cause a buzzing. Aquilas caused a bit of buzzing on my Kiwaya, which immediately disappeared when I put the Fremonts back on.

Yeah I'm thinking I might try a low G on my tenor instead. Have a feeling the Soprano as a test subject was a bad idea.

Oh, I've also heard about people using guitar strings, is that true? Which guitar string do they use for the wound G?

I only have experience with low Gs on tenors. I think the Savarez Alliance Corum is the best Low G I've run across. It's expensive at over five bucks for just that string. For a wound string it's relatively smooth and will produce less string noise when playing. It's also less overwhelming than the rest of the low Gs I've found, seems to blend in better. You might also try the Worth plain low G, EXTRA HARD tension. This string is also available as a single string. Most of the usual on-line string sources should have them.

I use classical guitar strings on my tenor, with a wound low G. I used to have trouble with my G strings breaking. (I think I was using Savarez then, but I don't remember for sure.) I switched to a Daddario G string at the luthier's suggestion, and I've never had any trouble since then. Not one has broken on me. I use Savarez Alliance for the other strings. You can get single guitar strings at Just Strings.com.

G string:
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-j4304.html
C string:
http://www.juststrings.com/sav-543r.html
E string:
http://www.juststrings.com/sav-542r.html
A string:
http://www.juststrings.com/sav-541r.html

Last edited:
I love using a low g on soprano but it takes some getting used to on any size and you probably need to adjust your playing style. Fast strumming doesn't work for me but I love it for for melodies ala Herb Ohta-San.

Is the string resonation or buzzing...is it any particular string...maybe the C string..pick each string individually and see which string the buzzing is coming from....and go from there..mm Stan

I am running Low G on my Concert and Tenor. The Koolau Alohi set has wound 3 and 4 - I LOVE this set on the Tenor (solid mahogany). I have the Concert (laminate Koa) strung with an Aquila Tenor set - I like the stronger tension. I got the idea reading about some guys putting Aquila concert strings on the Makala Soprano Dolphin ukes to give them a bit more oomph!

Sounds like you have a bad string. Or your uke's broke. But lets hope the problem is the string! You're going to have to change strings to find out.

I hate Aquila, fake gut. The wound ones have a tendency to unwind or have imperfections that cause buzzing. I kinda want to try out the real gut ones, but the nylguts are terrible. Worth aren't much of a better choice because the low g string is so damn thick it sounds kinda dull. But my advice, since you're such a fan of Aquila, would be to get another set strung up on the soprano.

I finally dumped the wound string for the very reason. I use Worth or Freemont low g strings now... all plastic... no wound... LOVE 'em!

Last edited:
I only have experience with low Gs on tenors. I think the Savarez Alliance Corum is the best Low G I've run across. It's expensive at over five bucks for just that string. For a wound string it's relatively smooth and will produce less string noise when playing. It's also less overwhelming than the rest of the low Gs I've found, seems to blend in better. You might also try the Worth plain low G, EXTRA HARD tension. This string is also available as a single string. Most of the usual on-line string sources should have them.

Hi Chuck,

Which exact Savarez string are you talking about? I would like to try one but there are many choices. Is it the 504RH?

Dirk at Southcoastukes.com can tell you all you want/need to know about wound strings and sell the best wound strings on the market, bar none!! take a look. For a long a time I was in the same camp as those not liking wounds, but have changed my mind totally after using Dirks strings. Now have them on my baritones and tenors. Take a look. Lozark

Thanks for all the replies! The string is just buzzing, my Uke is fine. I have a feeling the aquila wound string is just crappy. I'm going to head to my local Uke shop today and look for an alternative. I think I may try a low g on my tenor.

Boomy low G on tenor

I'm glad to hear that somebody else thinks that low G can sound too loud and unbalanced. I recently bought a KoAloha tenor to use for low G...and I hate it. It sounds boomy - much louder than the other strings - a real disappointment. I'm using Worth clears - have Worths on my other ukes - tenors, concerts, and sopranos and love them. Maybe a wound low G is the answer. Maybe a lighter gauge string. I know how I want this uke to sound - balanced across all 4 strings, but with a low G.

UPDATE 2014! Since this thread originated a few years ago there have been a lot of advances in ukulele string technology and as a result, more choices for low G (or linear) tuning. I take back everything I said previously :) Currently I find the SouthCoast HML-RWs to be about as balanced of a linear set you'll find. I'm a big fan. If it's just the single low G you want, try the Fremont Soloist. It's flat wound, therefore quiet.

I'm glad to hear that somebody else thinks that low G can sound too loud and unbalanced. I recently bought a KoAloha tenor to use for low G...and I hate it. It sounds boomy - much louder than the other strings - a real disappointment. I'm using Worth clears - have Worths on my other ukes - tenors, concerts, and sopranos and love them. Maybe a wound low G is the answer. Maybe a lighter gauge string. I know how I want this uke to sound - balanced across all 4 strings, but with a low G.

I hated, absolutely HATED, the Worth clear low G on my Kamaka concert for the very same reason - I didn't like the "boomy" sound and thought I just didn't like low G, period. The thing that won me over to low G on that particular uke was using a wound guitar D string (in combination with Martin fluorocarbons for the other 3 strings - I far prefer Martins to Worths), but since then, I've discovered the "squeakless" wound Fremont Soloist low G string which to me is the best of all. LaBella also makes a polished/squeakless wound low G that is nice but seems to have a bit less volume than the Fremont.

Top Bottom