Low G string help

MakSmooth

Reaction score
I have a Kala Concert ukulele with a High G looking to change it to a Low G string..

Is it true I can use a classical guitar D string? my local store doesn't have anymore ukulele strings and I don't feel like waiting hahaha

any suggestions/help?

What I do on my tenor (and it ought to work on
a concert scale is this.Get a new set of your usual
strings and fit them this way:
For (Low) G string use the C string and tune LOW G
For C string fit the E string and tune C
For E string fit the (Unused) HIgh G string and tune E
For A string fit the A string and tune A.
Lots of folk don't like this method and say that it does
not work.It does and I have used it for almost two years
now with no 'loose strings' or buzzing!

I have used a D'Addario classical D string ( don't remember the string # but can check when i get home) on a couple of tenors but I've never tried it on a concert, don't see why it wouldn't work though. You may end up having to widen the nut slot a bit to get it to sit properly.

Normally you can get a single low G in the same make as you are using with the high G. I would recommend you start with that. Is it strung with Aquilas?

Last edited:
If you happen to have a classical guitar D string handy, that should work. If not, you can get classical guitar single strings or concert uke strings that include a low G from on-line sources.

This is what I use on my tenor for a low G. When I was changing tenor strings last night, I considered also slipping one onto my concert K-Wave, but I didn't try it yet.

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-j4304.html

Is it true I can use a classical guitar D string? . . . any suggestions/help?

Yes. . . D'Addario Pro Arte Normal Tension (J45 series) is what D'Addario uses on their Concert Sets (repackaged for `ukulele - they use the J46 series high tensions for Tenors IIRC). You could also use Savarez Alliance Normal tensions as well.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't just swap out the whole set to D'Addarios (or Savarez) as opposed to just one string.

Note: Personally, I like the Bronze Wound D'Addario J4804 on my Tenors, but I can't find them anymore as an individual string - I think the J4604 Silver Wound is a little bright.

Aaron

Top Bottom