Video yourself and learn

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Yesterday I was at a bluegrass jam that I attend a couple times a month and a woman approached me and handed me a CD. She had been videoing some of the singers for the last few months and had 30 minutes of video of me. It is always hard to hear yourself sing (at least it is for me) because that guy singing in the video does not sound anywhere as good as I do! HA! Anyways, what I got to see is that I really need to exaggerate/emphasize/perform more, and smile more. It may sound ok but my presentation was lacking to say the least and I have been doing this for years. I just have never seen myself doing it. So my recommendation is that if you seriously want to get better video yourself and watch it. BTW I mostly play mandolin at these jams but she had video of me with my concert sceptre too. It was great to hear the sound of that with other instruments! :) Very happy! Any similar experiences?

Very good advice. Often what one thinks one is doing and reality are on two vastly differing pages. This happened to me and it was a humbling experience. I'm not going to say that I was crestfallen, but it made me realize that there were many things, some of which had never occurred to me, to work on.

After entering my first UU contest with a video, I saw my weaknesses and am working to remedy them. The singing goes downhill when I have to concentrate on playing. I have to concentrate on playing, until I have the song memorized. I need to memorize more songs.

I video myself a bit, it is good to watch your hands, how you sound and look back and see improvement. Keep it up..

I don't sound like how I sound in my head either. In the matter of fact I generally sing in my head and not out loud!

Going beyond improving as a musician, it's a huge self confidence thing. Video shows how you really are. Get over it. I've done a bunch of video lessons and with each one it's gotten less painful to edit and watch. I still don't get why my friends like me though....!!!

Not a video, but I've been doing a ton of singing through a mic with headphones on. Just to get used to how my voice really is. Now instead of only hearing the "inside my head" voice, I can hear (or imagine) how my real "outside my head" voice sounds, even when not monitoring my singing.

I also find it better to watch the vids I have done and look for ways to improve! Great advice!

It was humbling! Ha! But you really see the room for improvement! Can't wait to do my first vid for the forum.

When I try to record myself I mess up everything, even songs I could play in my sleep. I can play fine in front of people though.
I don't really play ukulele in front of people though, I tend to perform on bass, or harmonica. : /
But yeah, I really mess up when I try, I don't even know why, hehe. :D

I watched a video of a performance i did last christmas and it really does help to analyse your performance. Improved my playing and i think everyone should try it.

I video myself a decent amount but always in the privacy of my own house where I'm not nervous. I get stage fright...very badly. I do a number of open mics to try to overcome it but I know I must look just awful on stage. I pretty much stare at the fretboard and don't make eye contact with the audience at all. Awful.

Has anyone else here ever had that horrible moment when you look at a video of yourself and you notice that during really complicated instrumental sections you have a tendency to stick your tongue out the side of your mouth? I love that. That's really the best.

Great advice. I'm a beginner and I video myself and inflict my vids on the world via youtube. That way I can't hide from the reality of them. It also gives progress milestone points to measure against. I can look back at the first vids I made and say to myself, I may not be anywhere near there yet but at least I've come some way down the track. I used to try to play mandolin but gave it up eventually. Not this time, the uke is for keeps, even if I get banished to the shed!! :) :)

What are you waiting for? we want to see you in action.. no need for perfection! :)
Actually I am waiting for my new uke. I bought a "sailor" and was going to show it. My dad had the same design (the sailor logo) tatoo'd on his forearm from WWII so I am having the uke inlayed with his name (GUS) on the 12th fret. I thought I would break in the uke with a video of his favorite song as a tribute. Should be getting it in the next week or so, Rem

Top Bottom