Received my Lanikai SM-CE spalted mango uke today!

byjimini

Reaction score
I've had a Lanikai uke before and wasn't too impressed (LU-21), but their Custom-series uke appealed to me over other makes with the same wood. I've always loved the look but have been put off by comments about the sound being a bit mute - however, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket after selling a few things on eBay unexpectedly, and found a seller offering the uke with a case, so I stumped up the cash.

Came through today, haven't had long with it yet, but obviously the look is absolutely astounding if you're into the look of natural woods. Abalone binding around the front (no idea if it's real) really makes it shine.

Now the sound... it has Aquilas, which I'm not sure do it justice. I'm getting the same feeling here as I did with the Bruko I once owned, which is that the strings feel too thick and powerful, so I'll order up some Worths and try those instead. It's certainly very mellow, but not mute as some people have suggested in these sorts of threads. It just doesn't seem to sing on the top end, in that the A string constantly feels like it's singing in another direction, whilst the other 3 strings sound lovely.

All that said, I'm still loving the sound. I've never had a mango uke before so it's hard to describe, but totally different from mahogany.

6ddbf2db.jpg

da39b8df.jpg

cbbd8e14.jpg

a6684288.jpg

That looks great byjimini. If there is already some mellowness I would recommend Worth Clears, strings do make a big difference.

Wow, that is friggin' gorgeous! Nicest one I have seen. Worth clears are thinner and have a much better sound than Aquila's to me on solid woods. Good luck and wow!

One of the prettiest spalted mango ukes I've seen. Listen to the difference in sound on the Lanikai Solid Monkeypod tenor on Hawaiianmusicsupply when he changes from high g to low g Koolau alohis. Increase in quality of sound amazing! good luck with your search for the "perfect strings" for this baby.

Wow...nice looking uke!! I think you found yourself a keeper!! That grain is amazing, hope the worth clears will really help make it sing!!!

Congratulations!!

That is incredibly sexy!

(but your photos are a bit on the fuzzy side..... lol)

Yeah, I think I was still shaking with excitement when I took them with my iPhone. :p

Anyways, just realised I have some Worth Clear's light-gauge in my little uke-box, installing them now.

Aloha Byjimini,
Holy Smokes...that it absoultely beautiful...Congratulations man..Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Nearly had my head taken off when the A string shot through the hole on the bridge :p

They're on, already sounding much better, a lot brighter than before.

Congrats on the really pretty mango uke. I have Worth Clears on my Mango tenor. Remember, as you experiment with strings, you can always mix strings from different companies.

–Lori

Nice looking uke, if you'd like to buy one in perfection condition, PM me.

I have their Tenor Spalted Mango. The grain's not nearly as nice as yours. It too came with Nylguts which I didn't care for. Switched to Martin Flurocarbons which I like a lot better. May try some Worths. Just put some Worth Browns on my Martin S-O and really like their sound over the Nylguts or Martin Flurocarbons I had on it at one time or another..

Byjimini...what an awesome uke!!! It is beautiful!!! After you change strings, could you post a sound sample of it???
Congrats!

That's an awesome lookin' uke. When I first saw that it was spalted mango I thought "I wonder what that looks like"? After seeing the pics I thought "Oh, it looks awesome is what it looks like."

Gratz on the new uke bro.

Top Bottom