Vintage ukulele help

ItsMrPitchy

Reaction score
The only ukes that i currently own are ones that i bought new. For a while now i have been intrested in buying a vintage uke to play some of ukes from history. Can anyone recommend how to seek out good vintage ukuleles that are not fake and what kind of price ranges there are. Thanks in advance. I know this may sound silly but i just want some good advice before purchasing.

Kinda depends on what you want to spend. You can get a vintage uke and spend anywhere from $50 up in the the thousands. Ya ought to look for a decent 1920's-30's era banjo uke. You can spend $100-$200 for a decent one, or up near $500 for a Gibson Banjole.

The only ukes that i currently own are ones that i bought new. For a while now i have been intrested in buying a vintage uke to play some of ukes from history. Can anyone recommend how to seek out good vintage ukuleles that are not fake and what kind of price ranges there are. Thanks in advance. I know this may sound silly but i just want some good advice before purchasing.

I've bought off of eBay and from other UU members here - I've had no problems & paid anywhere from $50 to $320 for my Martin. Ebay is as good a place as any to look at prices. Also check "Elderly Instruments" & "Flea Market Music's "Marketplace". Prices vary as you might expect & sometimes you get great deals.

NOTE: all my experience is in the USA, though.

Thanks for the advice guys. I live in the UK and Im lookin to spend for a first vintage uke purchase between £50-£200.

Thanks for the advice guys. I live in the UK and Im lookin to spend for a first vintage uke purchase between £50-£200.

There was a bloke here a week or so ago that bought a vintage uke for 11 quid, thought it was junk.....with a little fixup, will be a sweet little "vintage" uke. Start looking at them on ebay and elsewhere, search discussions on UU, see the final selling price on sites like Elderly. After a little while, you'll know it when you see it. For 200 quid you may get a decent Martin soprano or ?????????

I hear there are a few Kumalae's up there but way out of your price range...nice if you could test one out if you have the oppertunity and see how they are...Good Luck Man, MM Stan..

I don't think you run much risk of a fake vintage uke, unless you're looking at the very few which sell for big money. The majority of vintage ukes go, in the UK, for between £200 and £600, some for even less. The amount of work needed to fake one makes it uneconomic! There are occasional high-price ukes - a Martin 5k is many times more expensive, for example, but there aren't many of those around.

Most vintage ukes in the UK are sopranos - if you're looking for an old tenor you might be looking for some time.

On pricing, a shop will want more than a private seller, because it has to make its margin and cover cost of capital if the uke doesn't sell for some time.

I've concentrated on the UK market - lots of ukes for sale in the US, but Customs duty and VAT will make them less attractive than they seem.

I'd say the main possibilities are:

Mahogany (20s-60s). The Martin Styles 0 and 1 are most common, with the 0s going £300-450 and the 1s nearer the top end. I've never heard someone dislike a Martin. A "The" Gibson uke is also good - rarer than Martins, some like them more, some less. Both Martin and Gibson made top end models whose prices go into the thousands - you'd have to research these further if you wanted to spend that much. But a Martin Style 0 is unlikely to be a bad buy. Other names include Favilla - very rare in the UK, about 2/3 the price of Martin and many say as good. If you find one and don't want it let me know! Below the £200 price mark are plenty of ukes by lesser-known makers, or unidentifed - some of these are good, some not, you can only tell by playing them.

Koa, Hawaiian made. Kumalae is the most common name here, and there are plenty in the UK - they seem more plentiful than in the US. £150-£350 depending on decoration and condition. You may also see Royal Hawaiian, which is the name of a hotel in Hawaii. Most ukes with this brand were made by Kumalae, but perhaps not all. These Island ukes are completely different from a modern uke - narrower neck, frets set direct into neck, very light weight. There are quite a lot of "tourist" ukes, often with a palm tree or hula girl painted on - these are wall decoration, not for playing!

US mass-market imports. For example, the Roy Smeck Harmony ukes - mahogany body, some with plastic fretboard, some with wood. These go under £200. Decent players and a bit of history, but not fine instruments. Other brands (similarly priced) include Stella, Supertone. Regal.

Banjo ukes. Lots of these around, selling for between £100 and £200 as a rule. If you buy one with a reasonable-sized pot (say 8 inches) which uses tension hooks rather than screws to adjust the head tension, it will probably be restorable to become a reasonable player. Hundreds of brand names here, so hard to pick out two or three as the best to look for. If you want a BU, study the eBay listings for at least a month and research the names which come up. John T's banjo shop (findable via Google) will supply parts for restoration.

Finally there are all sorts of unusual/rare ukes - plastic ones (Maccaferi, Flamingo, Islander, Beatles/[insertband name]/Mickey Mouse), camp ukes (circular body), Stroviol (with a gramophone horn instead of a body, the Roy Smeck Vita, Lyon & Healey Shrine, etc. If you find one, research, research.

The most important thing with a vintage uke is its condition. Scuffs etc don't matter from a playing point of view, but cracks and splits do. Most are repairable, but at a cost. Some are not. Repaired cracks are OK, if well repaired, but if not could be unfixable (if for example someone just epoxied the crack shut). My Kumalae, which I adore, has no cracks at all and sounds completely wonderful. I might have settled for a cracked/repaired one, but would want to play it before buying.

So, the advice bit:

1. If you want a uke that's like your Kala/Ohana/whatever, but older and nicer sounding, buy a Martin/Gibson/Favilla for £300-600.

2. If you want something completely different, buy a Kumalae for £150-350.

3. If you want a playable piece of history, buy a Roy Smeck Harmony for under £150.

4. If you want to upset the neighbours, buy a banjo uke.

What you could do is sign up to Ukulele Cosmos, most of whose members are in the UK, and post a wanted message: "I have up to £X to spend on a vintage uke - what have you got?" You might get a good deal.

[Edit: you posted your price range since I started replying. For £50 you get something anonymous (if you can find anything). £100-£200 gets you a banjo uke. £150-£200 gets you a repaired Kumalae, though it might take you a year to find it. For US posters, Kumalaes are about 2/3 the price in the UK that they go for in the US!]

Last edited:
Just to add, this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-WENDELL-HALL-RED-HEAD-UKULELE-circa-1920s-/390318876688?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item5ae0d16810 is an example of what might tempt you.

Made by Regal, probably worth under £100 in good condition. The crack shown (and what I think is top or back seam separation from the seller's description), plus tuners and strings, will cost most of that to fix. If you fancy learning to use hide glue, you could fix this yourself for next to nothing in money (say, £20), but quite a lot of time in research and practice. Bear in mind, though, that it will probably play less well than a £100 Kala - its value is as a piece of history.

YIKES! BassfiddleSteve just sold a Martin Style One for a friend for I think $300 in the last few hours. Totally in your price range.
Only advice I can give is if you are going to buy, shop here and FleaMarket, and look for names you know. Sometimes the oldies can be miss-represented, sometimes they can sound like heck. Buying one from someone who plays/loves them is a good place to start, and chances are that is what you will find here.
I love my Martin, and I am not sure there are unloved ones out there...though I have heard of some of them being "dull" in sound...which would be a bummer.
Another place to try (of course US...sorry) Is Antebellum instruments. He gets some heat stuff and prices it reasonably before he passes it on (after he makes it play again).
Good luck!

Thanks so much guys I have a clear idea on what to look for. I know a local shop near me stocks some old instruments not many ukes but it is worth taking a look. I think i will bid on the uke Profchris showed and take a look on the marketplace.

I think i will bid on the uke Profchris showed

So long as you're aware that it needs work and are prepared to learn how to do that work. Plus it will sound and play OK once fixed, but probably no better than OK. Post detailed pictures in the Luthier's forum to get advice.

Having said that, it's a nice piece of history and could do with bringing back to life.

There is a nice Kamaka on eBay right now for about $300 USD. Looks to be in great shape too. Good luck.

I would be willing to put the work into fixing the uke that would be another reason to buy it. Repairing it would be a learning curve. Ive put a bid on it but ive been outbidded so i will wait and see what happens over the next few days.

Yh i think i saw the same one was it the kamaka soprano?

Top Bottom