First Uke is Strung Wrong - Can I reuse strings?

katezilla

Reaction score
Hi all. Bought my first ukulele, a Lanikai LU-11 But it's string wrong. The A and G are reversed!
I've never strung an instrument and I'm mighty annoyed since I just bought it. Can I restring it myself using the strings on it?

I have no prior experience so bear with me, but I should be fretting with my left hand and strumming with my right if I'm right handed, yes? It's odd to me, I feel more comfortable with the neck in my right. What is the reasoning behind this?

Hey :D

Yes, you can absolutely restring your ukulele with the strings it already has on there. I recommend searching for restringing videos on Youtube, as there are a ton of helpful tutorials that will walk you through the process.

Let me ask, is this your first stringed instrument? It might just be you're simply not use to wielding the instrument yet. That said, if the neck feels more comfortable in your right hand, then hey, perhaps you're ambidextrous and should consider learning how to play lefty.

Hi,

Are you saying that the bottom (Closet to the floor) string is tuned to g and the top string is tuned to a?

If so, you can just retune to the correct key.

Hey :D

Yes, you can absolutely restring your ukulele with the strings it already has on there. I recommend searching for restringing videos on Youtube, as there are a ton of helpful tutorials that will walk you through the process.

Let me ask, is this your first stringed instrument? It might just be you're simply not use to wielding the instrument yet. That said, if the neck feels more comfortable in your right hand, then hey, perhaps you're ambidextrous and should consider learning how to play lefty.

Thanks! Great to know. All the videos I saw had new strings so I was worried its a one time only deal. Haha!

This is my first stringed instrument. I fiddled with guitar for a bit when I was much much younger but all of that drained from my memory. Besides there was never any formal lessons! With all this string confusion I wasn't sure if I was even holding it right!

Hi,

Are you saying that the bottom (Closet to the floor) string is tuned to g and the top string is tuned to a?

If so, you can just retune to the correct key.

Yep, that is the issue. Thanks, I'll try retuning. I've been trying to tell which string is thinner and I really can't. So maybe tune is the solution!

Thanks! Great to know. All the videos I saw had new strings so I was worried its a one time only deal. Haha!

This is my first stringed instrument. I fiddled with guitar for a bit when I was much much younger but all of that drained from my memory. Besides there was never any formal lessons! With all this string confusion I wasn't sure if I was even holding it right!
Nah, as long as the strings aren't worn out, you can reuse them. I've only been playing the ukulele for about a week now, so I can definately relate to your initial confusion. I had a bit of trouble keeping the tuning order straight at first too.

Aloha Katezilla,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..and the ukulele congratulations on your first new ukulele Lanikai LU-11...You can upgrade to aquila's too..Google Musicteacher2010 and keonepax for awesome
ukulele video tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords, and instructions.. As for your strings..the A string closest to your feet should be the thinest string and your G string(the top one cloest to your
just chin) is the second thickest....third would be the C string just above the A string and the C string just above that... Yes you can change around the string if you mixed the G and A string as
they are the same length.....here is a lesson to change strings..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNDkh43oqc&feature=related I hope it helps...MM Stan if you need further explaination just ask

absolutely you can - when I get a new uke, I often switch strings around to test them - so long as they are not worn they are straightforward to re-use

Top Bottom