Decal Removal?

pahu

Reaction score
I have a Mele Pineapple that I love, but the headstock decal just makes it look cheap IMO..Any suggestions on removing it without removing the finish? I can feel the edge with my fingernail-looks like a water-slide type and doesnt appear to have any finish on top of it.

Warm,damp cloth and a gentle rub.If it
starts to peel off,keep rubbing.If not
leave it alone! Never done this but if
it IS a water slide type transfer,that
should do it!

I can't claim any personal knowledge on the subject, but according to one of Mele's ebay auctions (http://cgi.ebay.com/MELE-PINEAPPLE-CONCERT-UKULELE-Beautiful-Sweet-sound-/170444315891) they use "a very thin coat of satin-finish nitrocellulose lacquer". I'd expect that the decal is under it, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully it is just a water slide transfer over the finish and if it is the technique suggested should work.

I can't claim any personal knowledge on the subject, but according to one of Mele's ebay auctions (http://cgi.ebay.com/MELE-PINEAPPLE-CONCERT-UKULELE-Beautiful-Sweet-sound-/170444315891) they use "a very thin coat of satin-finish nitrocellulose lacquer". I'd expect that the decal is under it, but I could be wrong.

I can't imagine that someone would use a water-slide decal without at least a thin coat of something over it, so I agree with J-UK. You would still see the edge. Sadly, as nice as Mele ukes are, I concur that the logo doesn't hold up to the quality of work therein. Would love to re-design their logo to match the visual delight of their ukuleles.

An inlaid "truss rod cover" sans truss rod of course might be a better solution, the 3M adhesive used to affix it probably wouldn't affect the original decal if removed carefully down the road.

Something like a simple mother of pearl inlay in ebony maybe? Maybe with a white and black fiber backing, complete with adhesive and ready to install?

lol

Last edited:
No, Mele does not laquer over their headstock "water" decals. I recently contacted them about a partially rubbed-off one on the headstock of a used soprano I just bought. They advised I apply a wet cloth for a few minutes and just gently rub it off with a finger tip. This didn't work as quickly as I wanted to I gently scraped it off with a fingernail and it came right off with no damage to the finish.

Does not the removal of original factory items devalue an instrument? I have several ukes that have no label and therefore are not as valueable as an investment than if they did have ID original markings.

Does not the removal of original factory items devalue an instrument? I have several ukes that have no label and therefore are not as valueable as an investment than if they did have ID original markings.

Pahu: When I contacted Mele, they offered to send me a new decal, and they did. I have it safely stored in the event I want to sell the uke and the new owner wants a "mele" logo on the headstock. The primary identifying label is still "inside" the uke, visible through the soundhole.

I can't imagine that someone would use a water-slide decal without at least a thin coat of something over it, so I agree with J-UK. You would still see the edge. Sadly, as nice as Mele ukes are, I concur that the logo doesn't hold up to the quality of work therein. Would love to re-design their logo to match the visual delight of their ukuleles.

i asked about this once. Cheryl told me that by using this decal it helps keep the uke cost down. Keli'i uses a decal like this as well.

I wonder if this could be done with the headstock label on Kala's new "Ukadelic" ukes. I like some of the designs (particularly the Hawaiian sunset and sunrise) but I don't care for the "Ukadelic" on the headstock.

Top Bottom