My new dolphin.

nelly

Reaction score
Well its here my new dolphin,cant believe how good the build is for 23.99 off ebay, iam no uke expert but its got to be a bargin!
Going to put some Aquilas on it and enjoy!!dolphin.jpg

Happy New Uke Day! I have never owned or played a Dolphin, but hear they are very good make and Aquila's make them SING! Enjoy!

God damnit.... now I want to get one. There is a good thread about the Makala Dolophin I found from a few years back and the consensus seems to be largely positive. Once you get a set of aquilas on there and maybe check the 'action' you're the laughing it seems! Honestly I don't know much about the action, I understand what it means I think but would be nervous about fixing it. Perhaps I should search a thread on that first.... The cheapest i could find was 30GBP from Duke of Uke so 23 certainly sounds like a steal.
Good luck with it -F

I purchased a little makala dolphin in candy apple red last year, my husband spent months painting it (not because it is so complicated just because...) anyhow it's on a stand and daily player at my house.
It will definitely sound better with aquilas on it.. Have fun and happy strumming!

Happy new uke day. I do hear all the time that for the money and once you get some aquila's they are really great ukes.

Congratulations on the Dolphin. I bought one for my Granddaughter. Really just so I could play with it, she is only three. It is sweet sweet sweet. Still can't justify buying one of my own since I already have too many personal ukes. You made a very good choice and for 23.99 you can hardly loose.

Congratulations! Have fun with the new uke!

Yesterday, I discovered a whole rack of Dolphins at a local music store, $35 each. Now I know where I'll be shopping for birthday presents for the next few months.

Congrats on the new uke! My very first ukulele purchase was about a year ago, and it was a white makala dolphin uke. Good choice! :)

Yeah - love the dolphins! Had the red one & gave it away via another UU'er to a kid in Florida. My daughter has two & I just bought a Yellow one that I restrung w/Worth browns. It hangs by my computer & is the "most often to be grabbed" when I run across a new video or chord post that I want to jam along w/or learn.

Be careful, savagehenry just got one, couldn't find Aquilas, put on a pair of Martin Fluorocarbons I had, and it buzzes??? Don't know if it's strings, nut, or a fret yet.

Nelly,if you want to bring out the best
in that baby (which is identical to mine!)
when you get your Aquila strings get
CONCERT length and fit them,rather than
soprano.You will,I promise be amazed at
difference and the 'fuller' sound!!!!

I bought each of my grand daughters a dolphin. One uke red and the other white. Great all around ukes for home or travel. I believe everyone should have a Dolphin in their arsenal.

Nelly,if you want to bring out the best
in that baby (which is identical to mine!)
when you get your Aquila strings get
CONCERT length and fit them,rather than
soprano.You will,I promise be amazed at
difference and the 'fuller' sound!!!!

Yep, I've got mine strung with worth clears,the thicker ones, and it sounds almost as good as ukes that I've had that cost 10x more!

Congratulations nelly! You got a good deal, I got mine for $29.00. It was my 1st soprano and I love it. I put a set of Aquila concert stings on it and it is sweet. Today I contacted a guy on the local Craigslist that has one for $15.00. If it's still available I'll pick it up tomorrow after work. FYI there is a "Dolphin owners" group here on UU. It's time to join my friend.
Let us know how you like it.
Don

Thanks eveyone for tips advice and congrats. I read that poeple recomend to put concert strings on, but the other half got me some soprano strings so they will have to do,still fingers crossed it will bring the best out of it!

Aloha Nelly,
Congratulations and whatever strings you have ...have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings...MM Stan

well the aquilas are on,givin them a good stretch, so far it sounds sweet, next time i will try the concert strings on but for now it will do me fine., i is a happy chappie

Top Bottom