Daily Ukulele for 6/1/2011

Ukulele JJ

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Happy June, everyone!

I'm grabbing reins of this ukulele horse for today. If anyone wants to jump in tomorrow or other subsequent days until JoeyBug gets back, that'd be great!

Anyhoo... I'm reaching over to my music shelf for my "The Daily Ukulele" right now. I'm just going to flip to a random page, oh... somewhere near the front.

The Erie Canal, page 77

Okay, I have never heard this song before in my life. :D Seems pretty cool though. A few observations:

1.) If that Gm7 is giving you trouble, you can substitute the same plain old Gm you've been playing in the beginning of the piece. (It's worth learning the Gm7 eventually though!)

2.) Although I know you all can play an A just fine, you can get away with substituting an A7 for all the A chords--not just the ones in the turnaround. See if that sounds better or worse to you. (Theory tip: If a chord leads to a chord that's a fifth lower, you can often get away with making it a dominant 7 chord if it's not already.)

3.) I don't know for sure, since I'm not familiar with this song, but I strongly suspect that those dotted-eighth-note/sixteenth-note pairs in the last section are really supposed to be "swing" eighth notes. Heck, the whole song's probably supposed to be played with a swing feel. Songs of that era and style often were, and I've noticed that this book is pretty inconsistent in notating that.

No "inspiration" video this time (feel free to post your own finds). But here's an old postcard for ya!

Buffalo-1908.jpg

JJ

Springsteen did a great cover of this song as part of his "seeger sessions" project a few years ago. Couldn't find any video though.
-Cheers -F

Here's a fuzzy video of Springsteen singing "The Erie Canal" live in Belfast.

Thanks, Ukulele JJ, for taking up the Daily Ukulele reins (an appropriate metaphor for a song about a mule named Sal) today!

The Erie Canal ran through Schenectady - even as late as 1910, the main street now called "Erie Boulevard" was the canal.

Here's a link to Pete Seeger singing the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxKy1_c6DeM&feature=related

This really is one of the songs I grew up singing. Even today, there are parts of the old locks and towpaths all around the area.

-Kurt

Top Bottom