Herb Ohta Jr. wins Na Hoku Hanohano Best Instrumental Album.

Reaction score
San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`
surprised this didnt get run here, but "'Ukulele Nahenahe," by Herb Ohta Jr. won Instrumental Album of the Year. Two other primarily `Ukulele Albums were also nominated: Troy Fernandez "Hawaiian Style `Ukulele 2" and Kenneth Makuakane "`Ukulele Summit." All three albums were solid. also, "Solo 'Ukulele: The King of Pop" by Abe Lagrimas Jr. & Friends won EP of the Year.

FYI: The Na Hoku Hanohano is the Hawaiian Grammy Awards equivalent. (and probably just as controversial)

FYI 2: Daniel Ho and Tia Carrere were not on the telecast. lol.

Thanks Brah! You wen watch 'um? Now I gotta go find out da rest of da winnahs . . . Now gotta go spend some kala on some of the music . . .

For those who are interested who won . . .
2011 Na Hoku Award Winners:

Most Promising Artist: Mark Yamanaka, “Lei Pua Kenikeni” (Hulu Kupuna)
Female Vocalist of the Year: Napua Makua, “Mohalu” (Pihana)
Male Vocalist of the Year: Mark Yamanaka, “Lei Pua Kenikeni” (Hulu Kupuna)
Group of the Year: KuMZ, “On the Summit” (Kauakoko Foundation)
Christmas Album: “Willie Wonderland,” Willie K (Island Soul)
Album of the Year (to artist and producers): “Lei Pua Kenikeni,” Mark Yamanaka (Hulu Kupuna); Hulu Kupuna Productions LLC and Kale Chang, producers
Song of the Year (composer’s award): “Kaleoonalani,” Mark Yamanaka, from “Lei Pua Kenikeni,” Mark Yamanaka (Hulu Kupuna)
Single of the Year: “He Lei Kaulana,” Na Palapalai (Hulu Kupuna)
EP of the Year: “Solo Ukulele: The King of Pop,” Abe Lagrimas Jr. & Friends (Pass Out)
Anthology of the Year (producer’s award): “The Best of Na Palapalai,” Na Palapalai (Koops 2), Shawn Pimental, producer
Compilation of the Year (producer’s award): “Kona,” various artists (Ua Mau), Dave Tucciarone, producer
Contemporary Album of the Year: “Forevermore,” Ben Vegas & Maila Gibson (no label)
Hawaiian Album of the Year: “Mohalu,” Napua Makua (Pihana)
Instrumental Album of the Year: “‘Ukulele Nahenahe,” Herb Ohta Jr. (Lele)
Island Music Album of the Year: “Amy Hanaiali‘i and Slack Key Masters of Hawai‘i,” Amy Hanaiali‘i and Slack Key Masters of Hawai‘i (Peterson)
Jazz Album of the Year: “Django Would Go,” Hot Club of Hulaville (Hulaville)
R&B/Hip Hop: “Coconut Wireless” Kepa Kruse (Petroglyph)
Reggae Album: “The Green,” The Green (SheeHandsomeDevil)
Religious Album: “Somewhere Up Ahead – Gospel Hymns of Hawaii, Vol. II,” Ata Damasco (Ululoa)
Rock Album: “Stream Dreams,” Kamuela Kahoano (Green Light Go/Kahoano)
Slack Key Album: “Play With Me Papa,” John Keawe (Homestead)
Graphics: Wailani Artates, for “Mohalu,” Napua Makua (Pihana)
Liner Notes: Puakea Nogelmeier, Kalikolihau Hannahs-Paik and Kellen Paik, for “English Rose,” Kupaoa (Hulu Kupuna)
Favorite Entertainer (by public vote): Napua Makua

Last edited:
Thanks, will have to check out a few tracks

`ae. i stayed up late to watch on K5 stream. at least pau early not like the merrie monarch. can't argue with the winners, though i was hoping kainani kahaunaele would win (def my fave album this year). but napua makua and mark yamanaka albums soooo solid, such good music coming out the big i and maui.

Yea, I kept hearing da Mark Yamanaka album is real good. I guess I gotta check out da odda stuff now. Again brah, thanks fo da heads up.

that album is real good. i bought it a long time ago, but i never really listened to it, until i heard he was nominated. really really good. no surprise cause he in the Hulu Kupuna `ohana with kupaoa and na palapala`i. i can not wait for kuana's album. garans he going sweep next year's na hoku.

I know how dat goes . . . when you finally lissen, you go "How come I neva play um mo early". Get one release date on Kuana's album?

I will definitely check out Mark Yamanaka. My wife mentioned she was looking for his stuff but we did not really see much for sale when we were just there a couple of weeks ago. We ended up buying another Na Palapalai album. I love their music.

I will definitely check out Mark Yamanaka. My wife mentioned she was looking for his stuff but we did not really see much for sale when we were just there a couple of weeks ago. We ended up buying another Na Palapalai album. I love their music.
Have you checked out Mele? Auntie Maria carries a lot of stuff . . . .

Aloha Neil,
Mahalo for the heads up...missed that one even here too...awww
Aloha Pueo,
Yup really love Na Palapala'i ...saw them at the Kanikapila grille..they are awesome..wen you first listen, you just slip into the groove with them.......

Have you checked out Mele? Auntie Maria carries a lot of stuff . . . .
Yes, mahalo!
My wife Nanilei and I are frequent visitors to Hawaii, we have family there. Part of what we like to do when we are there is peruse Kmart and the swap meet or music stores and try to find some good Hawaiian music and then that becomes the soundtrack for our trip when we are driving around. Then when we are back home, every time we listen to a certain CD it reminds us of a certain visit. So it's not so much a matter of finding Hawaiian music, but searching for and finding a good CD while we are there, you know? But I will check out Mark Yamanaka and maybe order one up.

I will be playing Hawaiian music at UWC. I am going to play Pua Lilia, Nani Venuse, and maybe No Ka Pueo. I will try and get some video too!

Sorry, did not mean to stray off-topic. It's difficult for us PoHos when everyone is already traveling to Indiana!

No sweat, brah . . . you guys have a good time at UWC. Maybe one of these years, I'll make it. Pass my regards to all.

kuana's album is set for release end of june. if people never know, kuana is 1/2 of na palapala`i. and from what i've heard from it so far, the cd going be so nahenahe. na palapala`i always wops my jaws/blows my mind when they play. their music is so awesome and their personality is so engaging, can not help but fall in love.

hooo mm stan, i was lucky i caught the na hoku. my cousin called me up to remind me hahaha.

maika`i e Pueo! hope to see some video of you guys playing na mele Hawai`i!

Top Bottom