First post, First Uke

mrhandy

Reaction score
Hi all, I guess I should introduce myself. I am a furniture maker and I have always been interested in making stringed instruments. I don't currently play but I have taken Piano and Guitar lessions in the past, it just never stuck.

I just finished up my first Ukulele build. Cherry and purpleheart from scratch, basically followed the Waverly Street plans. Let me know what you think.

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

let me know If you want to see some of my furnitore. I doubt it's allowed for me to spam the forum and post up my web address.

The uke is beautiful. How does it sound? Also, welcome to the forums...

I think it sounds quite nice. I don't have much experience but my sister has a $20 uke and in comparison it has a bit brighter and a much cleaner tone. The volume is also about the same, maybe a bit louder the the cheep one. And the sustain? is better as well. I guess that means it it was a success.

Aloha Mrhandy,
Welcme to the UU and our forums and thank you for sharing on your ukulele build...it is very nice...I know of another member who is also a great furniture maker too....small world eh..MM Stan

I like it a lot! Lovin' the rounded shapes and the woods contrast very nicely. I've got some purpleheart that's about to make its way into a couple of ukes, how easy or hard is it to bend?

how easy or hard is it to bend?

I'm not sure, I don't have anything to compare it to. Seemed to bend well enough, I did have one piece that started to want to split but that was my fault for leaving a spot with saw marks...

Looks great! Headstock looks a bit big compared to the body, but that doesn't make it wrong since it's a form of art, just different than most others.

Top Bottom