What brand has increased in quality?

Laouik

Reaction score
Hello!

It seems that people often talk about the decline of quality in products as time goes by. Things ain't what they used to be. Cost-cutting, outsourcing, less involvement from the founders, the next generation, etc.

This outlook is, in general, a vague cynicism seldom founded on fact or established by a single experience (e.g. they got the one that got passed QC's attention and has readjusted perception for the entire brand, seeing it made in a different location leads to assumptions of an ad hominem nature, &c.).

That being said, there are a lot of passionate people striving, struggling and succeeding at creating wonderful things. For ukuleles, what generally accessible maker, brand or line would you say has increased in quality over time (say over a minimum period of 10-15 years)?

I would say it is the uke community as a whole. There are so many great builders out there, and the fact that we all share our building technics much more than other luthiers have done in the past makes the quality level rise by the day. That coupled with the fact that players get a taste of the quality and then begin to demand it. I think this relationship between builders and players has become the driving force behind the ukulele explosion we are seeing now.

I think there are 2 that stick out in my mind as improved quality.
Martin; The new S1 is way better than the S-O. Sure they make high end, but the consumer side seems to be so much better
Tall Grass Ukuleles; I reviewed some recently and they have stepped up their game with the new version.

New innovation is always coming out...whether it works or not...but lately this past new wave...the builders have been upping the bar with new concepts and prototypes...we are very fortunate
to be in the right time when this all happens....The Namm show is a great place for the creative builders to showcase their stuff....

In both the guitar and ukulele world the quality of the lower end instruments has increased. This is the overall feeling that i get from the stories that more experienced players tell me.

Top Bottom