PDA

View Full Version : Martin tenor for 1/2 price

Teek
06-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Made in the '60s - 70s? by Yasuma, excellent Martin lawsuit tenor uke (http://cgi.ebay.com/Yasuma-TU-1-Tenor-Ukulele-Vintage-/140557660553?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D344626517583496427), I have one, everything but the binding (not tortoise) is copied from Martin. Mine has a lovely harmonic resonance.

If you are already bidding on this, please don't shoot me!

mm stan
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Aloha Teek,
WHAT...you're letting go your Yasuma??? what's up with that?? just wondering...MM Stan

ukulelecowboy
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I have two Baritone "Lawsuits." A Yasuma and a C.F. Mountain. Both excellent ukuleles for the money. Take advantage of this auction, if you can. These instruments are hard to come by...

provines
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Aloha Teek,
WHAT...you're letting go your Yasuma??? what's up with that?? just wondering...MM Stan

I don't think it belongs to "Poodle Schmoodler.". What a great title Teek! She has a similar one.

saltytri
06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Is it the one referred to in this thread?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?35230-Kanile-a-Uke/page5&highlight=Yasuma

If so, have the problems been sorted out?

Tudorp
06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I hear ya. Just because it's a "Lawsuit" or a "Copy" doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I have a Fernades Telecaster lawsuit (Fender Sued them over it, because it was a dead spot on, and many will say even better than Fender's Teli). Awesome guitar, and worth twice what it cost brand new to collectors. New it was a $600 guitar, and collectors often shell out $1000-$1500 for these "copies" now. If I could, I would swoop this Uke up myself.

Teek
06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I was late for work and running out the door when I posted, I thought I'd made it clear that I know it's a find because I own one... no, it wasn't mine and mine is not for sale, I would sell my Kanile'a first, and yes it is all sorted out now. I hope it found a good home, these are nice ukes. Be forewarned that if a concert shows up I will do battle for it! ;)

ukukimmy
06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
So was the $380 ending price was a good deal for the faux Martin???

ukulelecowboy
06-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I guess that's about right depending on condition. The real irony is that Yasumas are far more scarce than Martin tenors. I have a Yasuma baritone and I think it's worth around $400 or so. Nice instruments. I don't think they made a concert or soprano but I could be wrong.

Teek
06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
They did make a soprano, the concert may be wishful thinking on my part. These feel and play like Martins. From what I understand they took Martins apart and copied them precisely. That era Japanese instruments were very finely made. Remember Japan was producing Kamaka Keikis. I found a rumor on the 'net that Yamaha was behind the Yasuma name, and you know everything you read on the internet is true. ;)

ukukimmy
06-04-2011, 08:34 AM
So I did put bid on that Uke but was beat out by another and thought ce la vie...so many ukes, so little money... ;)
Well, it turns out the winner didn't come through and I got a "second chance" at it. I hope it's all the seller claimed it to be.

Kimmy

Teek
06-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I hope it turns out to be in great playing condition too! It has prettier mahogany than mine does. I would put Worth Brown strings on it. I have them on mine and it sounds awesome. Mine has a cracked and glued saddle but I haven't had time to replace it. You may have to put a screwdriver to the tuners to adjust them to just hold: the screws are often too loose or too tight on these vintage pieces. Be gentle with it. These have wonderful thin light necks like, well, Martins; but I was going to add Kamakas.