Do You Mainly Play Instrumentals or Do You Sing?

If we're being completely honest here, I only sing if I am also ukeing (or doin' karaoke). The whole reason I decided to learn to play instruments (guitar and uke) was so that I could strum/play while singing and have more fun with it.

True Story.

Sing... I'm not good enough for instrumentals yet & already know how to sing!

Damn you forum! - I wrote 5 lines here and nothing was posted. When I calm down I will repost....

When I play out, I just play songs with vocals. When I started playing regularly at this place a couple years ago, my first show there I played my best instrumental and people talked loud all through it. Since then, I haven't played any instrumentals. When I'm at home practicing, I'll mix in some instrumentals with other songs.

My personal experience is that playing instrumentals, you're maybe putting in 1/3 the work of if you were also singing. Instead of just concentrating on your instrument, you also have to project your voice, remember the words, coordinate the singing and playing rhythms, try to get some feeling into your singing, look out at the audience, remember to sing into the microphone (not below it because you're looking at your uke fingering), etc.

I have to work at the singing. About 20 years ago, I got a voice lesson from someone I had a couple albums by. He put over 30 minutes of exercises onto a cassette for me, which I've now converted to my iPod. I do the exercises for a couple of nights before I'm going to play for people, and it really improves my tone and range. I still think my voice is best suited for instrumentals, but at least I can now sing well enough to get my songs across. My singing friends still don't come looking for me to provide them with harmonies.

If we're being completely honest here, I only sing if I am also ukeing (or doin' karaoke). The whole reason I decided to learn to play instruments (guitar and uke) was so that I could strum/play while singing and have more fun with it.

True Story.

Lol, my story of ukeing is pretty much the same as yours. I started playing because I wanted to accompany my singing, but then I realized my singing wasn't up to par with my playing and started just doing instrumentals lol :/

Seems like lots of UU prefers singing while playing haha!

I've always loved singing and playing. First with guitar for many years, now with ukulele. Just lately, I've been starting to work on instrumental solo ukulele arrangements. I'll never be Ohta San, but I'm having a lot of fun.

I used to write a ton of poetry & I sing a lot. I first got into guitar/uke because I wanted to sing with them and attempt to write songs from my poetry.
I just don't have the technical skill, understanding of chord relationships, keys and all that for lead and instrumentals.
But I am working on it. I've already got a few instrumental songs down and will continue to try and understand music. Become more balanced. Hopefully making the transition to making music easier.

It's rare for me to come by someone who is really good at both. Like Aldrine

Hate to cop out, but both.

Aloha Casey,
I have a bad voice, but I do sing when I play the uke...to keep the timing and rhythm..otherwise I listen to others..lol

Every single man, woman, and child in my entire family can sing, except for me. I stick to the instruments.

I sing better than I play. I'll sing anywhere, anytime..................................BO...........................

I play and sing, but everything I write is instrumental.

I play instrumentals because when i sing i make it rain.

I sing and play. I respect the technical aspects of it, but I'm not really a fan of plain instrumental ukulele songs.

Top Bottom