Quandry or the new ukes sound is driving me nuts.

poppy

Reaction score
OK bought my second uke An OS with KOA- OU6LCE. My old uke is an OS also an OU240SWk (mahogany) . I loved the 240 and wanted to be able to amp.Didn't want to change the 240 so I ordered a OU6. Also I bought a Roland bass cube and it is able to reproduce the sound fairly accurately on the super flat setting. Just doing ukes for a short time so I wasn't ready for the drastic difference in the two ukes! The 6 is very harsh when compared to the 240. The G string seems to sing when its open and the tone is nowhere near as mellow. How do I tame the shrew !
What a difference . both have Aquila hi g on. oh and the comparison is without the amp.

Change your strings to worth browns.

Hmm, the ou6 is laminate where as the ou240 is solid mahogany right? Maybe that accounts for the less pleasing sound?

I don't think so but ya never know actually its probably my preference for a lower pitch. I had Fremont black lines /low g on the first 240 I had and really liked it but it was very muted. so I have left the Aquila's on this time although I have a set of black lines in the case. Shoulda probably tried them but I have heard so much about the worths I went ahead and ordered a set of browns with a low g. Will see how It does . Strange the 6 is more expensive then 240 but the 240 is solid wood . guess you paying for the bling. Would be nice if We could try them all before we lay out out dollars but all we can really do is listen to clips and others opinions. Don't hate this one its just is much more different than I expected. Just hope I can get it toned down a bit.

Last edited:
The OU6LCE is laminated koa. The OU240SWk is solid mahogany. The strings, though, are the issue. I have the OU280SWK and the OU5LCE. The former has Martin fluorocarbons on it and I love the sweet, mellow tone. The latter has Aquila Nylguts on it-- which is how they ship from Oscar Schmidt. I left them on it because the laminated body does not vibrate as much as solid wood bodies and the Aquila strings help produce more sound.

OK got impatient .I ordered the worth browns but since I had a set of Fremont black in low g setting on the desk ,I decided to have it set up and the Fremont's installed. Totally different Uke ! The bark is gone the set up improved it 100 percent in playability (my 240 still has better action on the higher frets) and it now has a sweet sound. Probably won't be my favorite uke but at least now I can play it and enjoy it and if I need to amp up I can. I would have asked the tech to lower it a tad more ,but I looked at the bridge and there is not much height left and I decided not to risk it, he lowered the nut quite a bit also.

Top Bottom