chunking

Reaction score
so im trying to learn "island in the sun" as my first song and am having trouble chunking. Do you use just your index finger or all your fingers when chunking or is it just preference?

so im trying to learn "island in the sun" as my first song and am having trouble chunking.

The answer is simple: don't chunk. It can sound brilliant when someone like Aldrine does it, but not everyone uses this technique. I never use it. As I said, sometimes, in the hands of an expert, it can sound great, but you don't have to use it. If it is done badly or if it is overused, it can sound simply ridiculous.

If it is your first song, why not try just strumming the chords? That's what people did for years and years (before chunking was invented).

If in doubt, don't chunk.

The answer is simple: don't chunk. It can sound brilliant when someone like Aldrine does it, but not everyone uses this technique. I never use it. As I said, sometimes, in the hands of an expert, it can sound great, but you don't have to use it. If it is done badly or if it is overused, it can sound simply ridiculous.

If it is your first song, why not try just strumming the chords? That's what people did for years and years (before chunking was invented).

If in doubt, don't chunk.

Listen to Ken, you will never go wrong. :)

You use the back of your palm to mute the strings and your finger tips to make the chunking sound.

It's mainly a timing issue to mute and strum the strings at the same time. It takes a lot of practice but, will then come naturally.

Some people like Chunking and some people don't. :)

Last edited:
I'm going with Ken. If Ken says "Don't" then don't

Anyway, over-chunking is boring.

I'm going with Ken. If Ken says "Don't" then don't

Anyway, over-chunking is boring.

Some wonderful players enjoy using this technique. Aldrine, for instance using chunking to add complex rhythms and a different timbre to his music, particularly when teaching or putting across a song. It should be understood though, that his solo performances use many other different and skillfully performed techniques that also add a great deal of variery to his music.

Other great players, like James Hill, generally prefer not to use chunking at all.

What I suppose I am really saying is, don't feel that you have to use chunking in every song. It is only one of many techniques. Also be aware that doing a repeated robotic rhythm with a chunk in every bar can sound really silly and certainly monotonous. Try listening to someone doing it with your eyes shut.

But the most important thing here is that new players should not be made to feel that they are not playing a song correctly if they are not chunking all the way through. A song that is well sung can sound fantastic with just the simplest of strums.

What is much more important (IMHO) is variety within a song (dynamics, tone, texture, rhthmic patterns, fills, etc.).

And yes, over-chunking is desperately boring.

I like chunking with reggae, etc., agree it's often overdone. I personally wouldn't do it with "Island in the Sun"

Like Phil said, chunking adds percussion to raggae style songs or if you want a song to sound "Jamacanish". I think it sounds cool and fun, but it's not for every song. Sometimes I use the palm of my strumming hand to strum down and quickly mute to get a similar effect.

Like Phil said, chunking adds percussion to raggae style songs or if you want a song to sound "Jamacanish". I think it sounds cool and fun, but it's not for every song. Sometimes I use the palm of my strumming hand to strum down and quickly mute to get a similar effect.

I second the palm mute alternative. It's much easier, and you can add a percussive beat if you do it in such a way that you're tapping the soundboard (I do so with my thumb while my palm mutes the strings) all in one fluid motion.

In saying that, here's a lesson video that I liked:

What I suppose I am really saying is, don't feel that you have to use chunking in every song. It is only one of many techniques. Also be aware that doing a repeated robotic rhythm with a chunk in every bar can sound really silly and certainly monotonous. Try listening to someone doing it with your eyes shut.

But the most important thing here is that new players should not be made to feel that they are not playing a song correctly if they are not chunking all the way through. A song that is well sung can sound fantastic with just the simplest of strums.

What is much more important (IMHO) is variety within a song (dynamics, tone, texture, rhthmic patterns, fills, etc.).

And yes, over-chunking is desperately boring.

No disrespect but, the question asked was simply, "I'm trying to learn "island in the sun" as my first song and am having trouble chunking. Do you use just your index finger or all your fingers when chunking or is it just preference?"

It was never asked how many people like chunking or when chunking should be used. My opinion is that you can play the ukulele anyway that makes you happy and people should help others learn a new technique rather than bash or discourage it.

Last edited:
Ha! Yea!! I read the whole thread and that is all you were asking...:agree:

Check out Chunking under the lessons tab on this website.

Maybe it is under Uke minutes where Adrine shows his technique.

good luck. I love that song too. I need a bit more practice before I try to tackle it.

Yes, I learned the chunking method via the UU video. It explains how to do it pretty well.

I tend to use my middle and ring finger, but it is possible with the index. All it takes is practice. :eek:

BTW, "Chunking" may be a modern word, but don't let anyone tell you it's a modern technique!

Here's a duo with Rajao & Braguinha (o Machete), the two Portuguese instruments that were amalgamated to form the Ukulele:

Last edited:
BTW, "Chunking" may be a modern word, but not at all a modern technique!

Here's a due with Rajao & Braguinha (o Machete), the two Portuguese instruments that were amalgamated to form the Ukulele:

Shoot! You have just reinforced my desire to get these instruments as well. My MIAS is not being helped by information like this! (and they play wonderfully!). I've had a Cavaquinho on my want list. I really shouldn't be adding a Rajao & Braguinha too. :p

I've been working with some wonderful researchers from Portugal and may have to send them out to look for luthiers for me. :)

And to get back on topic, I'm trying to chunk a little with Aldrine's method. He suggets the side of the thumb. Not fingers, not palm. I'm still trying to get the finger strumming down (I'm a long time thumb strum guitarist so I'm not getting past that very quickly).

Last edited:
As a brand new player, I have been trying out all sorts of different strumming and picking methods - including chunking.

To me, it's all about learning new things, trying new things and then going with what YOU think sounds 'good'.

For what it's worth, I have watched many Youtube clips and I think I have ended up using the fleshy part of my thumb (on the downstrum) to mute the sound - whether I'm doing it exactly 'right' is another matter - but it works for me.

I also have been working on muting the fretboard with my little finger of my left hand, which also adds to the percussive range you can add to a song.

Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing :D

Top Bottom