Kamaka "special" tenor

MauiWowie

Reaction score
Hey All!

I just got off the phone with Kamaka and the person said If I ordered a Kamaka "Special" I could get Abalone Rosette with a Rope border and Abalone fingerboard dots. I was just wondering does anyone have pictures of one with these specs? And does anyone know what brand hard shell cases they sell with their ukes also and if you have pics that would be great.

Im really close to ordering one, they said it would take about 3-5 weeks to make it and just wanted to get an idea how it would look.

Mahalo!

Last edited:
Hi MauiWowie...na, I can't help you there but I can't wait to see the pics from someone who owns one. I just adore Kamaka ukes. I have a concert and a pineapple and I think the pineapple is one of the sweetest sounding sopranos I ever heard. Several times I've thought about buying a deluxe Kamaka soprano, but then just because it's been prettied up, it won't sound any better than a standard model. Good luck with your purchase. How exciting!!!

I thought they stopped taking orders for specials.

If you have the chance and the funds, I'd say order it. It sounds exactly like how they describe it. You can see the rope border on the Ohta San.

I don't know if their ukes come with cases, but I know they sell Kamaka-branded Ameritage cases from the factory too.

Good luck!

Hey All!

I just got off the phone with Kamaka and the person said If I ordered a Kamaka "Special" I could get Abalone Rosette with a Rope border and Abalone fingerboard dots. I was just wondering does anyone have pictures of one with these specs? And does anyone know what brand hard shell cases they sell with their ukes also and if you have pics that would be great.

Im really close to ordering one, they said it would take about 3-5 weeks to make it and just wanted to get an idea how it would look.

Mahalo!
Aloha Mauiwowie,
I played with 4 special order kamakas 3 months ago. 3 sopranos and a
tenor.. 4A Premimum full curl, spruce top, MOP fingerboard dots, 5,7
10,12, ebony faceplate with MOP KK logo, Key:Mini gibson shaft old/ebony buttons ,fingerboard ebony, ebony bridge.. they were
beautiful...I should have taken pictures of them but no camera at the
time...

I just received my HF-3 special and they said that they could not make rosette, rope border.
And now, you just say, they can !! I'm so disappointed !!

Here some pictures for Stan ( I am not a good photographer )
dsc00663km.jpg

dsc00665j.jpg

Last edited:
Mahao Moka,
for the pictures...yup they were something like that..thanks for sharing... yours is stunning too...
Mauiwowie got lucky, good for him...can't wait to see his pic's too...

Aloha MauiWowie...if you have the funds...go for it!! Kamaka will not disappoint you (if they said they could make that uke for you) I have a Kamaka HF-3 that came with a hard case. Not sure of the maker of it but it is pretty good...not great!

I spoke with Kamaka a couple weeks ago and I inquired about a custom uke.

They said they were able to do a: Ebony Headstock plate/bridge/fingerboard, Abolone rosette, upgraded koa, no fret markers. They also said they could do a few different rosettes and I remember the rope being an option.
But not able to do a: Slotted headstock or binding.

They said they were still working on the Jake ukes and until they finish them they were not going to be doing any binding. Perhaps early next year. She couldn't say regarding the slotted headstock.

I spoke with Kamaka a couple weeks ago and I inquired about a custom uke.

They said they were able to do a: Ebony Headstock plate/bridge/fingerboard, Abolone rosette, upgraded koa, no fret markers. They also said they could do a few different rosettes and I remember the rope being an option.
But not able to do a: Slotted headstock or binding.

They said they were still working on the Jake ukes and until they finish them they were not going to be doing any binding. Perhaps early next year. She couldn't say regarding the slotted headstock.

This is exactly what they said to me, no binding and no purfling atm on specials till next year. also no slotted headstock, I think that might be custom.

@everyone else

Mahalo's! I just went ahead and ordered it,Cant wait! Gonna post up some pictures as soon as I get it.I went ahead with a Tenor,Ebony Headstock plate/Fingerboard/Bridge with Abalone dots/Kamaka Logo,Abalone Rosette with Rope border,Fishman Matrix Infinity w/ Volume controls,Mini (Gibson Shaft) Chrome/Acrylic Button Keys(tuners) and a hard shell case.

Last edited:
Moka, that's a gorgeous ukulele you have there, even without the stuff Kamaka told you you couldn't get.

MauiWowie, congratulations on the upcoming new ukulele! Here's the best photo of the Kamaka case that came with the Kamaka tenor I bought in Kaua'i.

attachment.php

Interestingly, Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto sells Kamaka ukuleles with Ko'olau cases. I was told that they'd had some problems with the Kamaka cases and that they thought the Ko'olau cases were made better. I have one of each case (for different ukes) and have had no problems yet with either.

Last edited:
As to the Kamaka cases, I have one and I really am not a big fan of it. On the good side is it very lightweight and it has an okay sized storage compartment, but the fake leather peels and scratches really easily. I also had a bit of metal jutting out near the handle as well. I only use it because I'm too lazy to carry it in my Ameritage (which is great but really heavy) and I don't have my Kamoa fiberglass case yet. But I have to say once I get the Kamoa, I'm tossing the Kamaka case out.

Congrats on your order, it sounds wonderful and I look forward to pictures when you receive it.

Hey guys, i'm thinking about ordering a special Concert long neck, and wanted to know what the name of the black headstock is... Is that the "ebony" headstock? Idk lol

Hey guys, i'm thinking about ordering a special Concert long neck, and wanted to know what the name of the black headstock is... Is that the "ebony" headstock? Idk lol

When you do custom order to Kamaka, mention this: item code = 13E ; description: Faceplate Ebony with MOP KK Inlay. That should do it.

Top Bottom