Just bought an eleuke!

jhob

Reaction score
I have just bought a bugsgear eleuke concert from a friend for the rather good price of £60 and it's only a month old! I bought it so that I can practice late at night without waking others. Have to say that I rather like it, it plays very nicely and does exactly what I want it to. The action is fine but I think I will take it down a little at the nut as I do prefer it as low as I can get but I certainly wouldn't describe it as having a high action.

Anyway, it came strung with some rubbishy black strings, more than likely ghs I would imagine. I want to replace these with something that feels more pleasant under the fingers and am wondering which I should go for. Would the type of string effect the sound much on an electric uke such as this? I do have a spare set of aquilas I could put on there but I'm not sure they are the best for an electric uke as I consider them to be for an acoustic. Could anyone with an eleuke or other electric uke advise?

Used for roughly $120USD? ... very nice.

Eleukes use Hilo black strings. You can change the strings if you want. I actually like the Hilo black strings for some reason, but people don't talk about them much around here. Maybe I'm just weird.

Yup, it was an excellent price! My friend had bought it at a discount because the fretboard was a little messy at the 15th, it's hardly noticeable and doesn't effect playing in the slightest. I got it cheaper still so it is a complete bargain. I'm very happy with it and it is definitely going to fit the bill of extending my uke playing time into the night. It's a nice easy to play uke, my first concert too and I'm rather liking that scale. Not sure if soprano or concert is my favourite yet, time will tell...

I'm probably being a little harsh on the hilos, they're not total s**, just feel very different to aquilas which is probably more where my dislike stems from. I'm tempted to try some strings other than aquilas just for a bit of variety even though I have a spare set of aquilas I could put on.

Electric ukes are awesome, you can make them sound like ukes, or sound like anything you want, all while not disturbing anyone. Get a decent set of cans for optimum rocking out. :)

Electric ukes are awesome, you can make them sound like ukes, or sound like anything you want, all while not disturbing anyone. Get a decent set of cans for optimum rocking out. :)

Already got a pair of sennheiser HD-25s from my DJing days so sorted there!

In time I may get one of those little portable effects units and play around with different sounds. Might get one of those micro marshall amps too. Those are for the future though, I'm quite happy just to be able to practice late at night with headphones at the moment. Think I will need get a strap though as it's hard to support against your body as you would an acoustic uke.

Oh those are some good cans. I have Beyerdynamic dt250s on order. Headphone audio is my other hobby. :)

Right now I just use some Yuin pk1s (this audiophile engineer in China figured out how to make audiophile earbud and it works), or my Beyer dt990s, but those are 600ohm and tough to drive without an amp.

get a digitech rp90...i plug into that and then either to my amp or headphones...

I have sennheiser cx300s as my in-ear buds that I use with my ipod, they are superb in-ear headphones for the price. I should imagine that I will use them with the eleuke at times when the hd25s would be too bulky.

get a digitech rp90...i plug into that and then either to my amp or headphones...

I quite like the look of the line 6 pocket pod, nice and portable and looks to have some cool features. Maybe one for the Christmas list!

That Digitech RP90 looks pretty nifty too, if not as portable.

Both at a very reasonable prices too!

Wat is wit that dang pedal! My bro wants tht for his guitar. i had a digitech pedal for my bass and it was junk. Is it decent?

Wat is wit that dang pedal! My bro wants tht for his guitar. i had a digitech pedal for my bass and it was junk. Is it decent?

for my limited knowledge of it, it seems decent...i pretty much just go WOW WOW! I'm still working on finding the BOW CHICKA part.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing one of those from MGM. They seem really fun to play.

honestly, it's just as much fun as my hilo soprano...and every other uke. the effects are cool, and making it really loud is cool...but for most part, it stays in it's gig bag because it's usually too loud for me to just sit down and enjoy myself with (that my acoustics do perfectly).

for my limited knowledge of it, it seems decent...i pretty much just go WOW WOW! I'm still working on finding the BOW CHICKA part.[/Q

do you think the eleuke would sound decent if it was run through a bass pedal? I got a bootsy collins pedal just waiting to be used

Do you use that with your eleuke then? How does it sound with it?

I don't have a Eleuke, I've got one of these instead, but I'd think the Eleuke would do fine with the Pocketpod.

dscn0708.png

Top Bottom