Help with New Martin S1 or Old Martin S 0

Huna

Reaction score
I was looking at the vintage Martin S 0 ukes and got real interested in getting one. I have been watching ebay for them. But I also realize there is a new Martin S1. Its not the same as the old S 0 really right? I know its newer and maybe built heavier? Also it has a longer fretboard. I am really curious about the tone. I thought it sounded good on a youtube review I saw. If it sounds good, I would think the new S1 would be a good deal... or even the OXK might be. The S1 costs 380, the OXK 280. It looks like vintage instruments would be even more than these new ones. Are the Vintage Martins far superior in tone to the new ones?

Thanks!

I was looking at the vintage Martin S 0 ukes and got real interested in getting one. I have been watching ebay for them. But I also realize there is a new Martin S1. Its not the same as the old S 0 really right? I know its newer and maybe built heavier? Also it has a longer fretboard. I am really curious about the tone. I thought it sounded good on a youtube review I saw. If it sounds good, I would think the new S1 would be a good deal... or even the OXK might be. The S1 costs 380, the OXK 280. It looks like vintage instruments would be even more than these new ones. Are the Vintage Martins far superior in tone to the new ones?

Thanks!

Ukeeku had a nice review of the Marin S1 a while back. He seemed to like it much better than the new S-0. The OXK is a laminate, while the S1 is solid Mahogany.

I think the vintage Martins can be hit or miss. I had a 50's S-0 in great shape, but had so-so intonation, and just a bit too plinky for me. I really did not enjoy playing it, aside from the name and history of the uke. The Kiwaya I currently have is better sounding for the same $$.

Aloha Huna,
I love my two vintage soprano's... they are far better than the new one I tried my neighbor has...but yes some sound good and others not..slight inconsistancies..in any uke for that matter..MM Stan

well UKEEKU really liked the new S1 for sure and that french reviewer seemed to like both the S1 and OXK. I dont' know if the OXK laminate is the same as a regular laminate like a Kala... seems like it might be special as they say HI PRESSURE whatever that means... if its like formica or pergo or whatever.

Ukeeku had a nice review of the Marin S1 a while back. He seemed to like it much better than the new S-0. The OXK is a laminate, while the S1 is solid Mahogany.

I think the vintage Martins can be hit or miss. I had a 50's S-0 in great shape, but had so-so intonation, and just a bit too plinky for me. I really did not enjoy playing it, aside from the name and history of the uke. The Kiwaya I currently have is better sounding for the same $$.

I love my Kiwaya (KTS-4). The build is perfect, I adore the sound, it's a joy to hold and the build is perfect. I know Martin has a reputation, but man, the Kiwaya is incredible and wish more people got a chance to enjoy them.

I would hate to see you make a mistake on a purchase, so I'll point out the model numbers, which you may have confused in one area

Model S-1 is the newer economical solid mahogany uke.

Model S-0 is not what you'd call vintage, but an economical mahogany uke made pretty recently. (late 90's to early 00's ? ? ) Not currently made, not as desirable (to most) as a model O. No S-O before that.

Model OXK is not made from solid wood, but from "HPL" or high pressure laminate - not a ply but a pressurized mash of fiber and resin/glue

Model O is the vintage mahogany gem from the early part of last century to the early 70's (I think).

S-O and O are not the same.

Last edited:
HarpDog did a good job explaining that. The "X" series uke (HPL) is essentially FORMICA without that brand name. It is very rugged and even sounds pretty good. It is practically bullet-proof, and if there is ever a likely issue, it would be for the bridge to pop off the face of it. That happens frequently (or did anyway) to Martin's HPL guitars.

I own a newer Martin SO and a late 30s vintage Martin Style 1.

I have friends who own vintage Martins too, and I have played a new Style 3 and a vintage Style 1 side-by-side at a local music store.

The vintage Martins are magical little instruments. My Style 1 has a slight warp on the soundboard, and has had cracks professionally repaired. My friend has a Style 0 that has 3 large cracks on the back. Nevertheless the old vintage Martins sound amazing!

IMHO you would be far better off buying a vintage Martin than a new one, unless you are the kind of person that just can't stand any cosmetic imperfections.

The big change from the S-O to the S1 is the neck joint. the S1 has a dove tail, and that makes it stronger and adds to sound.
The OXK actually sounds vintage out of the box. I have a friend who loves vintage martins but does not like to take them out, now he takes the OXK and all is good.
I did a review of it also
http://ukeeku.com/2010/07/06/martin-oxk-full-review/
I will have the S1 at UWC if anyone is interested.

On a side Note: Thank you Doc_J for the link.

I own a newer Martin SO and a late 30s vintage Martin Style 1.

I have friends who own vintage Martins too, and I have played a new Style 3 and a vintage Style 1 side-by-side at a local music store.

The vintage Martins are magical little instruments. My Style 1 has a slight warp on the soundboard, and has had cracks professionally repaired. My friend has a Style 0 that has 3 large cracks on the back. Nevertheless the old vintage Martins sound amazing!

IMHO you would be far better off buying a vintage Martin than a new one, unless you are the kind of person that just can't stand any cosmetic imperfections.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have 3 vintage Martins, including a style O. I've played many others. They may sound a bit different from one another, depending on the period, but they all sound great. Cosmetic imperfections - well, that's part of the charm of a vintage ukulele. Besides, yo intend to play it yourself (and mark it up a little), right?

Top Bottom