First Uke

Agu

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked a million times.. and i've read those threads I swear! :cool:

I am looking to buy my husband a ukulele for his upcoming birthday/fathers day gift. He plays guitar and bass already, and has toyed around with a mandolin before as well.. I think he would enjoy a uke as a new 'toy'.

I am looking to keep it budget friendly, and was thinking of getting the kala ka-15s or the kala ka-s but I am unsure of what the differences between the two were besides the binding.

I'm not opposed to buying used either.

Any other suggestions in this price range are of course welcome, and if anyone could recommend a good dealer to buy from that would be awesome too!

Thanks!

You can't go wrong with Kala when it comes to price/performance.

But ... if my wife were to buy a ukulele for me, a good father's day gift would be a "no-frills" Kamaka HF-3. or something like that.

(i hope my wife reads this)

Welcome to UU, Agu. You've got the right idea. Either Kala model would be a great gift! Binding is the only difference; they should sound nearly alike. Maybe subtly ask your husband if he "likes the" or "wishes he had" binding on his guitar next time he's playing. Or just save yourself $20 and get the KA-15S.

Your husband is lucky!!!! The consenus is a Kala is a very good uke for the money and I gotta agree. The two you picked are the same...one has a bit of bling. You would know if your husband likes a little bit of showy or is more traditional. That should help you decide between the two.
Great gift idea!!!!! Just be ready for the UAS when it strikes, and it will strike!!!!

Aloha Agu,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..check out our UU forums marketplace for good deals on second hand ukes...you get a better level instrument for a better price..Good Luck..MM Stan

Responses on here could have really confused you if people start throwing hundreds of other options at you - the advice above is sound.

Kala make excellent beginner to intermediate instruments (and in fact many pro's stick with them). The cheaper ones may lose things like binding round the edge (cosmetic) and other touches which I 'think' is essentially the difference between the ukes you mention. Both are great and will have pretty good setup.

Thanks everyone, I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing in the differences between the two. I figure if he get's really into it then it will just give me something to shop for him for later and this one can go to our son.

either one

I have a Kala KA-S, and love it. Although some say the binding is purely cosmetic, it does offer some extra protection on the edge from accidental bumping. Either is good, but if you buy new, buy from a place that sets them up well before shipping.

I suggest checking the Luna Tattoo series.
They look really nice with a laser etched design on them and sound nice.

Top Bottom