best value under $500

patico

Reaction score
hi everybody.

i'm new here at UU.

i want some help, what would be a nice uku in the under $500 range??
i like the:
-Pono MTD
-Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor

any other options?

(i'm new to ukulele, about 8 months, but been playin the guitar for a while)

i like the koa pili koko tenor cutaway i just received. my wife is playing it now and its nice. prob upgrade tuners and bone nut /saddle and its a great uke for around 200 dollars. ive heard kelii are nice and around that range.

For a standard soprano, I'd have to suggest the Kiwaya KTS-4.

A Koaloha Pikake soprano is within that budget. I have one, it is one of the few soprano size ukes I have played that I enjoy playing, somehow the width of the neck, the depth, the fret height make it so pleasant, and the sound is classic uke soprano to me.

Since you listed a Mainland Tenor, I'm assuming that is the size of uke you are gong to buy.

To be honest, at $500 you are a little in no man's land. You're not quite to the K brand amount, but you are above a number of very good ukuleles such as Mainland. And I'd put Sailor on my list.

If you have the time, and the patience, to run around looking for a ukulele, I think the best value is a "Used" brand ukulele.

As an example, I saw that a MP tenor ukulele sold for $500 on Flea Market Music and that was probably a really sweet uke.

John

A Koaloha Pikake soprano is within that budget. I have one, it is one of the few soprano size ukes I have played that I enjoy playing, somehow the width of the neck, the depth, the fret height make it so pleasant, and the sound is classic uke soprano to me.

Good advice there, REALLY hard to beat a KoAloha soprano.

for all around usefulness

I have all the sizes and various qualities, among them a very nice Kanilea tenor, but for your price I'd go for a Kala archtop. I have two because I like them so much. Acoustic/electric, nice neck, decent acoustic tone and that gives you about two hundred extra to get whatever.

Aloha Patico,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...have fun and enjoy...I'd keep an eye on our UU forums ukulele marketplace...and get a second hand one..that way you can get a used premimum ukulele for
and mid level price..if you don't see what you may like, you can post a WTB of what you are in the market for...Good Luck..MM Stan

I now have several higher-end ukes (Maui Music, Ko'olau, Kanile'a, Koaloha), but I still love my Kala KA-KTG-CT Tenor. Plays great, nice big voice, wonderful uke. It's laminated back & sides, which I know is a non-starter for some, but bottom line, it sounds really good.

Last edited:
I have a Pono MTD-E for sale in the marketplace on the forum for $400.00 Mint.

I recommend looking at used ukes as well. Mainland makes a very good uke but if you got $500 you can get a handmade uke as well. Tammy recommended a Sailor Brand Uke and I do as well as well as a Mele or pono or mainland. I would stay away from the kalas. I know there are a lot of folks that are fans of kala but to me they are average. Just my opinion.

sailor, pono, mainland- www.ukerepublic.com
mele- www.meleukulele.com

I recommend looking at used ukes as well. Mainland makes a very good uke but if you got $500 you can get a handmade uke as well. Tammy recommended a Sailor Brand Uke and I do as well as well as a Mele or pono or mainland. I would stay away from the kalas. I know there are a lot of folks that are fans of kala but to me they are average. Just my opinion.

sailor, pono, mainland- www.ukerepublic.com
mele- www.meleukulele.com

have you played one of their cedartops?

UUers

it doesn't have to be U$ 500 strictly.
i can spend more money, but over U$500 i need to pay an extra fee when an article is entering this country. and that rises the price a bit.

for example.... i bought the uku i have now in ebay, costed U$ 440. after all the fees, final cost (delivered to my house in easter island) U$750

so around 500bucks would be ok to me right now (thinking the total cost almost doubles the initial cost)

i was thinking in ukulele with pickup cause i have some pedals that i want to use, like chorus n delay

is it possible to buy used stuff, like the ukus posted before???
want that Pono MTDE

thanks for all your answers guys !!

UUers

it doesn't have to be U$ 500 strictly.
i can spend more money, but over U$500 i need to pay an extra fee when an article is entering this country. and that rises the price a bit.

for example.... i bought the uku i have now in ebay, costed U$ 440. after all the fees, final cost (delivered to my house in easter island) U$750

so around 500bucks would be ok to me right now (thinking the total cost almost doubles the initial cost)

The UU Marketplace is a great place to buy high quality stuff...Based on my observation, people sell stuff because they are always upgrading or find something else and need extra cash...people don't sell junk on UU

i was thinking in ukulele with pickup cause i have some pedals that i want to use, like chorus n delay

is it possible to buy used stuff, like the ukus posted before???
want that Pono MTDE

thanks for all your answers guys !!

The UU Marketplace is a great place to buy high quality stuff...Based on my observation, people sell stuff because they are always upgrading or find something else and need extra cash...people don't sell junk on UU

I have all the sizes and various qualities, among them a very nice Kanilea tenor, but for your price I'd go for a Kala archtop. I have two because I like them so much. Acoustic/electric, nice neck, decent acoustic tone and that gives you about two hundred extra to get whatever.

where can i see your ukus?
thanx

hi
i never mentioned junk, it's just because i'm in the middle of nowhere, i was asking if Marketplace UUers are willing to do bussiness with foreing countries. thanx

Top Bottom