PDA

View Full Version : Did I just buy the wrong ukulele?

Frozen
08-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I went into the music store barely knowing anything about ukuleles. I ended up buying a baritone for $80 because the guy said baritones are the best for beginners and that I could play guitar and ukulele tuning. Then I looked up baritones and it said that tuning it like a tenor/soprano will ruin the ukulele. So how am I supposed to play ukulele songs on a baritone? Specifically The Break Up Song. Thanks a bunch.

NotoriousMOK
08-07-2008, 02:52 PM
I went into the music store barely knowing anything about ukuleles. I ended up buying a baritone for $80 because the guy said baritones are the best for beginners and that I could play guitar and ukulele tuning. Then I looked up baritones and it said that tuning it like a tenor/soprano will ruin the ukulele. So how am I supposed to play ukulele songs on a baritone? Specifically The Break Up Song. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Frozen! Welcome to the forum!

Typically, the local stores don't know much about ukes or what options are available. If they consider their own interests before YOURS, they will simply 'sell what's in stock'. That's not to say that this is what happened in your case, but I've seen it happen quite a bit.

That said, I would hang on to the receipt, do a decent amount of poking about on this and other uke sites, and then decide if you want something different (or in addition to -- more likely ;)).

Either way, have fun!

Frozen
08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
The thing is the store accepts no returns.

Guting
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
self-pwnt,

you can slap on some tenor strings then tune higher.

Frozen
08-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Phew! Almost a self-pwnt. The guy was kind enough to let me return it since it was only an hour ago that I purchased it. Anyway, now I need advice in buying a ukulele? What should I look for and stuff?

Waterguy
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
What should I look for and stuff is a very subjective thing. There is a wealth of Uke knowledge on this board but you need to be a bit more specific. Price range would be a good place to start. Previous musical backround, if any might help. Any info as to what brought you to the worlds most cuddly instrument could help those who post here in steering you in the right direction.

Frozen
08-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Sorry about that. Alright so I'm willing to spend about $80, my musical background is with drums and a trumpet. I want to play a ukulele because I want to be able to woo my girl with it. I'm interested in songs such as The Break Up Song.

h-drix
08-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I want to be able to woo my girl with it. I'm interested in songs such as The Break Up Song.

self-pwn in the making ???:eek:

Alright so I'm willing to spend about $80

look for mahalo, Lanikai, kala, basically anything you get in this price range will be about the same quality. Just buy a new set of strings you'll be set with what you want to do.

Keonikapila
08-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry about that. Alright so I'm willing to spend about $80, my musical background is with drums and a trumpet. I want to play a ukulele because I want to be able to woo my girl with it. I'm interested in songs such as The Break Up Song.

I keep hearing about this song, but I've never actually heard it so maybe I'm missing something...but did you say you want to woo your girl with the Break Up Song?

(Sorry for going off-topic)

Frozen
08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Haha, I never said I wanted to woo her with that song. I meant that song as an example on the style of music I want to use my ukulele with. Like R&B. I thought that was a good example since I hear it's a really popular ukulele song. But who knows, maybe when it's time I'll have to use that song.

hotnanas
08-07-2008, 04:52 PM
i have a kala tenor that i just got on monday. the strings have almost been settled in. $100 shipped to cali if you are interested. the 1/2 found it and said it and one other has to go...good thing she didn't find the others!

Nurdaben
08-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Frozen what part of california do you live?

DanTelles
08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
i have a kala tenor that i just got on monday. the strings have almost been settled in. $100 shipped to cali if you are interested. the 1/2 found it and said it and one other has to go...good thing she didn't find the others!

I am very interested in the Kala. could you email me pictures and info please? dantelles@live.com

Haha why wouldn't she want you to have them?

salukulady
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
You can string a baritone gcea. You just have to buy the correct set of strings. I use these
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=9&cat=8&page=1
You can also use the low G string from a regular baritone set if you want a low Gcea tuning. Great for ballads and wooing the ladies.
I have two baritones strung that way, but I don't woo the ladies....just my husband.

hotnanas
08-08-2008, 05:46 AM
ok Kala here, sorry for the thread jack, but you get first dibs: http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4795

VermontUke
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
i would look into an oscar schmidt concert, a buddy got one that is right around 80 and it has a nice sounds, i have the concert that is a step up from it and have alot of fun with it

Landon
08-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Get a Capo and place it on the 5th fret, thats just like playing a tenor. You can also buy Tenor strings and but it on.

thesoobz
08-08-2008, 09:30 PM
you should look into a lanikai lu-21 brah.

and switch out the ghs strings for some Worth strings. it will sound pretty decent.!

-soobz

pm me if you have any questions
(personal message)

salukulady
08-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey Guys, did you read his post? he took the baritone back and got a refund.

Frozen
08-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a Lanikai LU-21!

salukulady
08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a Lanikai LU-21!Is that a tenor? And we want pictures!

Frozen
08-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I don't have it yet, I ordered it lol. But now my friends wants to get one but not the same one. What should he get? Looking around the boards I've found that you guys reccomend the KA-15S and KA-S a lot. I was also wondering if the LU-11 or the Makala Dolphin one is any good.

hoosierhiver
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Uke Hunt has alot of reviews of ukes too.

UkeCanDoIt!
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Isn't the Lanikai LU-21 a soprano?

cMejilla
08-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Isn't the Lanikai LU-21 a soprano?

comes in concert and tenor sizes too

Guting
08-14-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah LU-21(?)

Hark
07-15-2009, 07:28 AM
I have a similar problem. Last fall I bought a baritone thinking it would be better to learn with. You know how time all of a sudden just isn't there anymore? That happened too, so now there's no possible way of returning it. Should I go and buy a new ukulele or is the baritone still good for a beginner? The baritone was pretty cheap (made by the Santa Rosa Guitar Company?) but of a decent quality and I do have in my budget enough to buy a uke under $100, so my options are fairly open.

I should mention I have no experience with music, but have a strong passion to learn. When I bought it I was thinking that I have wide stubby fingers so it might be easier to play on a larger instrument (and it was the only uke there).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Another problem I have is teh complete lack of ukulele sound it has, I think this would have been an amazing buy if I wanted to learn the guitar, ya dig?

UKISOCIETY
07-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Haha, I never said I wanted to woo her with that song. I meant that song as an example on the style of music I want to use my ukulele with. Like R&B. I thought that was a good example since I hear it's a really popular ukulele song. But who knows, maybe when it's time I'll have to use that song.

I understand there's a new song making the rounds in uke covers these days called "I'm Yours". Sounds like a woo-er song to me!

UkuEroll
07-15-2009, 09:09 AM
self-pwnt,

you can slap on some tenor strings then tune higher.

What does Pwnt mean:confused:

UKISOCIETY
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM

From Urban Dictionary:

pwnt

Origins stem from owned, ownage, ownt. The character 'o' is next to the character 'p' on the keyboard. It was formed when some anonymous original party accidentally hit the 'p' for the word "OWNED".

It has the exact same meaning as the verb to own. The two words and their derivatives can be used interchangeably.

1. When a player is severely beaten by another player or party of players, in a game.
2. An expletive about a situation where something painful, embarassing, or bad happens to someone in real life.

The main dispute with this word is its pronunciation. It is originally believed that the 'p' is an accident and therefore not pronounced. However, several pronunciations have become accepted: p'ownt, pwynt, pinnt, etc.
1. Gamer 1: I just killed your entire group and won the game.
Gamer 2: You pwnt us all...

2. Oh my God, did you see that guy get hit by that car? He was pwnt!

buddhuu
07-16-2009, 09:55 AM

Sorry to lead the thread even further off topic...

But, as someone mentioned pwnage, Leroy, check this out, mate :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rF_X-8LiI

Melissa82
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Sorry to lead the thread even further off topic...

But, as someone mentioned pwnage, Leroy, check this out, mate :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rF_X-8LiILOL!!!!! Too funny!

seeso
07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a similar problem. Last fall I bought a baritone thinking it would be better to learn with. You know how time all of a sudden just isn't there anymore? That happened too, so now there's no possible way of returning it. Should I go and buy a new ukulele or is the baritone still good for a beginner? The baritone was pretty cheap (made by the Santa Rosa Guitar Company?) but of a decent quality and I do have in my budget enough to buy a uke under $100, so my options are fairly open.

Your baritone is fine to learn on, but it won't sound like an ukulele, per se.

I'd go ahead and buy a new ukulele, since you've got the budget for one. Get a concert or soprano size for a more authentic ukulele sound.

gabzuke
07-16-2009, 04:14 PM
well having a baritone would be easy for chords but youll have to figure out the picking
oh well heres a good site chords for baritone, tenor etc hahha

http://www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele/index.html

hope it helps

Providence
07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I think pretty much anything by the Beatles would be woo-er music. :D

nukealaily
07-16-2009, 09:04 PM
i would definately keep the baritone - you can play any song on a baritone that you can on any other ukulele .
you could perhaps work your way up to soprano from baritone - you will find it easier to finger the chords after practising on the largest first.

Hark
07-24-2009, 07:36 AM
I decided to keep working on the baritone, get the basics down, and then work on expanding my instrument collection. Thanks for the advice mon frere..es?

notalent31
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
I"m new to this forum.... Just bought my very first ukulele and about to get started in learning how to play it.
Its a Lanikai 21BE which comes with the accoustic connections. The reason I bought this size uke is that I don't want the hawain sound which
sound much to high pitched and tinny to my ear. Thats why I went for the acoustic connections on this uke hoping I'd get a more JAZZ kind of sound.
I also have small hands and fingers which will figure in on my ability to reach some of those extended chords. I hope I can reach them. No, I haven't
received the baritone uke yet. I ordered it from Amazon.com and paid $179 which includes the accoustic connections. I just hoped that I picked the
correct uke.

I can read music, so that be helpful in learning to play the uke. I wonder if there' a way to learn ONLINE?...I must check that out.
I really appreciate any replies to my post. I could use all the advice I can get.
Okay, thanks.....

jrldev
01-31-2012, 07:52 AM
The Baritone Uke is the largest of the four-sized Ukuleles (Soprano-Concert-Tenor-Baritone) It is tuned like the first four strings of the guitar - E-B-G-D. Some schools of music for children now use the Baritone as a first step before learning the guitar which has the extra 5th strign "A" and 6th string Low "E". The other three Ukes have a standard tuning of G-C-E-A from the 4th to the 1st string. If you place a capo at the 5th fret of your Baritone Uke it will sound just like the other three Ukes.I play the Baritone since I also play the guitar and do not want to learn a different chord fingering for the other three Ukes. It is not a problem to play along with the other Ukes and using "their" fingering as illustrated in the music sheet. You will be playing exactly four notes Lower. A "C" chord fingering for the smaller three Ukes - 1st string 3rd fret will produce a "G" chord on your Baritone Uke and the sound will be OK. The Tenor is the one instrument that can accept a Baritone or Soprano tuning (with the appropiate strings). In this sense is the most versatile of the four instruments. When I play in our Ukulele Ensemble I pay the Baritone and the Baritone chords (like the guitar chords but with the advantage that most often you only use two or no more that three fingers because you only have four strings). Mel Bay's Baritone Uke Chords is an excellent book to learn your chords which eventually you can use in a guitar. I recommend it highly. Good Luck

DaveVisi
01-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Just to clarify, you said E-B-G-D but that's from high to low pitch. To match what you said later about G-C-E-A Uke tuning, the bari tuning (low to high) is D-G-B-E

jrldev
01-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Sorry to confuse you. My mistake. The Baritone is tuned from high to low - from 1st string to 4th string- E-B-G-D or you can also say from low to high - from 4th string to 1st string then is tuned D-G-B-E . Just like the standard guitar.
Sorry when I wrote G-C-E-A I was thinking of the smaller three Ukes (from 4th string to 1st string).

The "C" tuning for the smaller three Ukuleles are tuned from 1st to 4th string (high to low)A-E-C-G or you could say from low to high (4th string to 1st) G-C-E-A
If you have a guitar you can place a capo at the 5th fret and play/strum the first four strings and it will give you the smaller ukulele sound/tuning.