Did I just buy the wrong ukulele?

Frozen

Reaction score
I went into the music store barely knowing anything about ukuleles. I ended up buying a baritone for $80 because the guy said baritones are the best for beginners and that I could play guitar and ukulele tuning. Then I looked up baritones and it said that tuning it like a tenor/soprano will ruin the ukulele. So how am I supposed to play ukulele songs on a baritone? Specifically The Break Up Song. Thanks a bunch.

I went into the music store barely knowing anything about ukuleles. I ended up buying a baritone for $80 because the guy said baritones are the best for beginners and that I could play guitar and ukulele tuning. Then I looked up baritones and it said that tuning it like a tenor/soprano will ruin the ukulele. So how am I supposed to play ukulele songs on a baritone? Specifically The Break Up Song. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Frozen! Welcome to the forum!

Typically, the local stores don't know much about ukes or what options are available. If they consider their own interests before YOURS, they will simply 'sell what's in stock'. That's not to say that this is what happened in your case, but I've seen it happen quite a bit.

That said, I would hang on to the receipt, do a decent amount of poking about on this and other uke sites, and then decide if you want something different (or in addition to -- more likely ;)).

Either way, have fun!

The thing is the store accepts no returns.

Phew! Almost a self-pwnt. The guy was kind enough to let me return it since it was only an hour ago that I purchased it. Anyway, now I need advice in buying a ukulele? What should I look for and stuff?

What should I look for and stuff is a very subjective thing. There is a wealth of Uke knowledge on this board but you need to be a bit more specific. Price range would be a good place to start. Previous musical backround, if any might help. Any info as to what brought you to the worlds most cuddly instrument could help those who post here in steering you in the right direction.

Sorry about that. Alright so I'm willing to spend about $80, my musical background is with drums and a trumpet. I want to play a ukulele because I want to be able to woo my girl with it. I'm interested in songs such as The Break Up Song.

I want to be able to woo my girl with it. I'm interested in songs such as The Break Up Song.

self-pwn in the making ???:eek:

Alright so I'm willing to spend about $80

look for mahalo, Lanikai, kala, basically anything you get in this price range will be about the same quality. Just buy a new set of strings you'll be set with what you want to do.

Sorry about that. Alright so I'm willing to spend about $80, my musical background is with drums and a trumpet. I want to play a ukulele because I want to be able to woo my girl with it. I'm interested in songs such as The Break Up Song.

I keep hearing about this song, but I've never actually heard it so maybe I'm missing something...but did you say you want to woo your girl with the Break Up Song?

(Sorry for going off-topic)

Haha, I never said I wanted to woo her with that song. I meant that song as an example on the style of music I want to use my ukulele with. Like R&B. I thought that was a good example since I hear it's a really popular ukulele song. But who knows, maybe when it's time I'll have to use that song.

i have a kala tenor that i just got on monday. the strings have almost been settled in. $100 shipped to cali if you are interested. the 1/2 found it and said it and one other has to go...good thing she didn't find the others!

i have a kala tenor that i just got on monday. the strings have almost been settled in. $100 shipped to cali if you are interested. the 1/2 found it and said it and one other has to go...good thing she didn't find the others!

I am very interested in the Kala. could you email me pictures and info please? dantelles@live.com

Haha why wouldn't she want you to have them?

You can string a baritone gcea. You just have to buy the correct set of strings. I use these
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=9&cat=8&page=1
You can also use the low G string from a regular baritone set if you want a low Gcea tuning. Great for ballads and wooing the ladies.
I have two baritones strung that way, but I don't woo the ladies....just my husband.

i would look into an oscar schmidt concert, a buddy got one that is right around 80 and it has a nice sounds, i have the concert that is a step up from it and have alot of fun with it

Hey Guys, did you read his post? he took the baritone back and got a refund.

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a Lanikai LU-21!

Top Bottom