New Boat Paddle uke

blender

Reaction score
I just received my Boat Paddle M uke recently purchased off Ebay. This is not a custom one with exotic woods and trim features; it's "just" the basic M model with a spruce top and mahogany body. I think I got it for a fair price, all things considered.
Front:
frontview.jpg

Back:
backview.jpg

I'm a relatively new ukster, my previous two ukes are both concert size (a Kala and a Tall Grass). I was interested in a tenor and liked the different/unique shape of the Boat Paddles. I'm a sucker for "different" (I'd also like an Ohana Vita uke.)

So far with my brief experience with this uke I'm surprisingly a bit ambivalent about it. I admit I do not have a wide range of experience with different ukes (sizes, construction, wood varieties, etc). Heck, I'm not sure what strings are on this one (besides the gig bag, nothing else was included).

I'm sure that in someone else's hands this would really sing, in my hands, not so much. So, I'm going to continue plunking (almost literally) away on this. I do have some Aquilla and D'Addario strings coming so I'll likely swap the current ones out.

We'll see how this unfolds.

Steve
Madison, WI

can't go wrong with a boat paddle. Hoping to have a 5 string with wood peg tuners made sometime soon. Not sure on the size yet. But nice purchase. I was just at his shop a few weeks ago for the Mighty MO uke fest. Jerry is a master.

Nice looking uke....how about a sound sample when you feel comfortable~

I really like the looks of the boatpaddles.

Might just be my eyes or the pic but it looks like the saddle is crooked. Could be made that way also.

Is this the one that went for $600 just the other day? Good grab. I thought about bidding on this. The crooked saddle is for compensation I believe and it looks to set up for low g. Great looking uke.

I've never seen a boat paddle uke like that before. It's very pretty, gratz bro!

Is this the one that went for $600 just the other day? Good grab. I thought about bidding on this. The crooked saddle is for compensation I believe and it looks to set up for low g. Great looking uke.

All: Thanks for all the comments. Yes, this is the one that went off EvilBay for $600 a few days ago. For an off-the-shelf uke I do think this was a Good Deal. Mine has the high G stringing (altho later I might experiment with a low G).
Rereading my initial comments I sound "underwhelmed", and thse comments are coming from a real noob. After playing this for a couple days I'm liking this uke more and more. And more...

Steve

Last edited:
After playing this for a couple days I'm liking this uke more and more. And more...

Glad to hear it! I love my Boat Paddle concert!

Congrats Steve,

I have one of Jerry's BP M-style sopranos. He probably has the highest precision builds of what I have played. You probably need to play some other tenors to see how good this uke really is. BTW I think Jerry uses Worth clears, which seem to have a good balance. You got a great deal on this one.

BTW I think Jerry uses Worth clears, which seem to have a good balance.
Thanks Doc. From the original Ebay posting all they said was "clear fluorocarbon strings". I'm liking the sound more but maybe might try different strings later (as I get more experience).
The more I play this the more this uke seems to "boom" out in sound. And the more I play it the more I like it..

Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom