Practicing while on travel

jjsdad

Reaction score
I may have to travel to Bangalore for work this Fall and my hands are itching just thinking about not being able to play ukulele for 2 weeks. ;)

Any suggestions on how to practice while on travel? I don't want to bring my concert uke (and definitely not my baritone), but I really want to practice. I was thinking maybe I could buy a really cheap uke just while I'm there, but I kind of doubt that I could find one right away.

I have seen the Risa solids, such as the one pictured on Mike DeSilva's website, but then I would have to bring an amp, too. Or can I plug in earbuds directly (with a 1/4" adapter of course)? Plus, that's kind of expensive just for 2 weeks... Unless someone has a used one that they might loan me for a while.

Any other options for practicing while on travel?

Anyone on UU live in Bangalore??

Seems like you got into a fine mess that can only be relieved with the purchase of a travel uke! How about a soprano, or even that Ohana sopranino? Those things should fit into a travel bag and there is no need to put them in a hard case or whatever (at least I wouldn't).
How about a small model from one of the Chinese brands with the K, the L or the O (ah, I mentioned Ohana already...). Ah, for what it's worth, you could get one of those Honeytone amps with the Risa Ukestick and be real portable...

the risa is great for travel! i drive with mine! you can plug headphones into it directly, but isn't really needed. i play mine at my desk, it doesn't need to be amped.

it really doesnt matter where I am going, I travel everywhere with my uke...typically my concert or risa, but my next trip I am bringing the tenor...

you can borrow my tenor lanikai, i hardly play it. i know its bigger than you'd probably want to lug around, but it you don't break it, i won't be sad.

just bring me back something neat. will a sitar fit in your luggage??:D

i have been traveling a couple times a month for work too, i took my concert and it fit in the over head compartment, but i really want a soprano especially since airlines will prob ban the second bag soon.

/thread hijack - anyone heard any new information about the UUukes?

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a travel uke. I travel a lot myself so I bought a cheapie Mitchell MU-70 concert from Guitar Center (the one in my avatar) for my travel uke and a $10 gig bag. I've taken it on planes with me (the pic in my avatar was taken in Belize) and if it gets banged up - no worries. I got it with Aquilas for $85 out the door!

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a travel uke. I travel a lot myself so I bought a cheapie Mitchell MU-70 concert from Guitar Center (the one in my avatar) for my travel uke and a $10 gig bag. I've taken it on planes with me (the pic in my avatar was taken in Belize) and if it gets banged up - no worries. I got it with Aquilas for $85 out the door!

how'd you get aquilas from GC on a mitchell for $85? i got mine from them for $100 with GHS's! that's my travel beater concert too btw!

how'd you get aquilas from GC on a mitchell for $85? i got mine from them for $100 with GHS's! that's my travel beater concert too btw!

I just negotiated it down. I never, ever buy anything from GC at list price (or hang tag price). They expect you to negotiate so if you don't get it for what you want then no harm, no foul. But you will get it for less than whats on the hang tag (which is already less than list price).

A couple of months ago I bought my son the Fender Squire Affinity Strat pack. It lists for $499.00 and GC had it on special for $299.00. I was able to negotiate that down to $225.00! Just ask what their best price is -- the worst they can say is no. Just like buying a car, they expect you to negotiate.

I just negotiated it down. I never, ever buy anything from GC at list price (or hang tag price). They expect you to negotiate so if you don't get it for what you want then no harm, no foul. But you will get it for less than whats on the hang tag (which is already less than list price).

A couple of months ago I bought my son the Fender Squire Affinity Strat pack. It lists for $499.00 and GC had it on special for $299.00. I was able to negotiate that down to $225.00! Just ask what their best price is -- the worst they can say is no. Just like buying a car, they expect you to negotiate.

damn! they had it listed for $139 and so I threw out $100...i guess i should have thrown out $85. i thought i was doing good!

damn! they had it listed for $139 and so I threw out $100...i guess i should have thrown out $85. i thought i was doing good!

Don't feel bad about that -- you still got a good deal! That same uke said $99 on the hang tag at my local GC so thats why I got it for $85. If you look at the savings -- you actually got a better deal than me!

the risa is great for travel! i drive with mine! you can plug headphones into it directly, but isn't really needed. i play mine at my desk, it doesn't need to be amped.

Thanks for the info. Does the risa have nylon strings or are they metal or wound?

you can borrow my tenor lanikai, i hardly play it. i know its bigger than you'd probably want to lug around, but it you don't break it, i won't be sad.

just bring me back something neat. will a sitar fit in your luggage??:D

Thanks for the offer... But, I was looking for something smaller than my concert. But, not as small as this. :D

My travel uke isn't the cheapest uke in the world, but it has great playability, is super lightweight, has fantastic dynamics from loud to soft, and is very very resonant -- I don't feel deprived or that I'm just making do when I'm traveling with this instrument.

it's a Kiwaya KSL-2 long neck soprano made of Kiwaya's "hyperthin" koa laminate and has been upgraded with Grover open back geared tuners, and the bridge slots have been slightly widened to accommodate regular gauge strings (they come from the factory with really thing string slots in the bridge that will only accommodate the super thing gauge flourocarbon strins, like the Fremont blackline's). It's currently strung in Aquila's with a low G and sound fantastic!

Stick it one of those canvas-covered styrofoam cases, and you got a super lightweight instrument that will easily fit in an overhead compartment. Put it in a Fremont hardshell case if you want extra heavy duty protection for it!

Everyone in the family now has one for traveling (although we somehow ended up with an extra one...) - and since we go to the desert in summer as well as the mountains in the winter, we don't have to worry so much about the low humidity since it's a laminated uke. We still put a humidifier in the case though!

Definitely a supah cool traveler...

LoMa, looks interesting... but, out of my price range for a travel uke. The Mitchell MU70 that polynesianpop is more my price range. (Thanks polynesianpop!) However, I was still looking for something more portable. Perhaps an Ohana Sopranino or some other brand? I think that the Risa looks pretty cool though and is probably more durable since it's solid wood, right? Are there any other small solid wood ukes besides Risa?

LoMa, looks interesting... but, out of my price range for a travel uke. The Mitchell MU70 that polynesianpop is more my price range. (Thanks polynesianpop!) However, I was still looking for something more portable. Perhaps an Ohana Sopranino or some other brand? I think that the Risa looks pretty cool though and is probably more durable since it's solid wood, right? Are there any other small solid wood ukes besides Risa?
Love my Ohana Sopranino.....got it from Shirley at Island Bazaar for about $130. Her website is www.ukuleleparadise.com. I don't see the sopranino on her website, but she does have an Ohana Soprano SK-10 for $39.95, it's a laminate. If you want to talk with her directly, her store number is (714)843-9350

I don't know about the sopranino, but I've tried several Ohana sopranos at a local music store and I was impressed - even with the all laminate model.

An Ohana could be the way to go.
Plus they come factory supplied with Aquila strings, which is cool!

You coud ask MGM what kinda deal he could give you with a styrofoam case.

ya, i'm not directing you towards a specific uke directly...but when i travel...i bring the mitchell concert in the lanikai case and place it under the seat in front of me...the only way it will get destroyed is if someone steps on it or the plane goes down.

If you reason for not bringing you current uke is fear of something happening to a nice uke that is cool, but a concert uke is not that big. I have traveled all over the country with a Tenor, concert, or right now with a soprano. I havent had any problems from airlines or anything while flying.

This is a reason to get another uke though so....

Top Bottom