Eddie Vedder's Kamaka ukulele iis on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Eddie Vedder has donated the Kamaka tenor ukulele he bought at Dusty Strings in Seattle and played on his new CD, "Ukulele Songs," to the Ferry County Rail Trail Partners, a charitable organization, and the FCRTP is auctioning the ukulele on eBay to raise money.

The auction is here.

There's more information about the auction and the FCRTP here.

Somebody must really want this, I've just bumped it up over a grand and still didn't get the highest bid.

Last time I looked it was already more than 4 grand. Sadly, (for me) it won't be gracing my wall. But that's great news for the charity being supported :)

Rails to Trails is a great org they take old rail lines and turn them into bike and running paths.

Last edited:
I learned about rails to trails in one of my classes... go figure. Too bad I don't live near anything they've redone... and also too bad I don't have 7k lying around. :p

10k for now :eek:

As much as I understand the power of provenance, I think this price is waaaaay over the top. I'm very happy that the charity got the money, but even a star as big as Vedder usually won't command that kind of premium. The fact that he recorded with it, is, of course a big driver; collectors love to put on the album and say, "see? that's this ukulele!" However, Eddie's not really famous for playing the ukulele (until now), and there's no evidence presented that this was a significant instrument to him or his music. So I'm still amazed this got bid up so high.

Just goes to show you-- no matter how much you try to predict the collectibles market, you really can't. Bet we see this on the secondary market within the year...

I suspect Vedder has a lot of friends with very deep pockets that step in an help out with stuff like this. Very cool. I am not a big fan of Pearl Jam or Vedder, but I have been pretty impressed with this latest foray of his.

The weird thing is, the one he has in the music videos has a slotted head stock and this one that was sold doesn't.

The guy with the second-highest bid made his bid with three seconds left in the auction one second after the winning bid was made. Can you imagine bidding $17,000 on that ukulele (which it looks from the bid history might have then been selling for something like $14,000+) and it isn't enough?! The guy who won it must have really, really wanted it. Heck, if one of those guys paid me $2,000, I would have been happy to buy a Kamaka tenor, record with it and sign it and then take my $1,000 profit and buy another Kamaka for me.

According to Kamaka's Facebook page, the winner receives not only the ukulele but also this handwritten letter.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom