Another string post...and my uke realization.

TCK

Reaction score
My name is Dave and I am a Uke-A-Holic (now you say "Hi Dave!")
OK- on to strings.
I have played for ten months and have gone through every kind of string out there. For those of you that know my tendencies, there are 9 Ukes within reach as I type (and 18 accordions...totally different thread). I play Soprano, Tenor and Baritone for those interested, and will talk about my instruments below. I am not anywhere near good at this yet, but I think for time spent I am decent. I am going to attempt to make something totally subjective make complete sense and create a review of value...when I fail at that, go easy. In any event- it was posts like these that made me try new stuff, hopefully someone else will.

We all know that Aquila's are the most recommended string out there, and not without good reason. They are fantastic on low-budget ukes and really wake anything up. I have played them on every uke I own, and will leave them on my Kala Lacewood Soprano (my wife likes the way they feel better than worths), my banjo ukes (I love the wound third...I know that is weird) and my Dolphin.
they project well, but my problem with them is the tension. They are great when they are new to me, and they were great for the last eight months when I was bashing out tunes and seeing what I could do. Best part- I can see them! They never left my fingers sore and they never let me down until they started to get old...that C-string will look in tune and howl like a wolf on ya, and then it is time to change them.
Given a few recent changes in the stable, I think my gripe with the aquilas is that I find them "slow". I drag my chord changes like old Ike did (I figure he is good enough to emulate) and I simply cannot do it with the Aquilas without some buzz. They are "noisy" on the fretboard if that makes any sense.

So I regrouped, read a lot of posts on here, and struck out to find something new. Here is what I found:

Martin: Can't stand the tensions on these on anything, even my Martin. Flame away...these strings are just not for me I don't think. I can not get the sustain or projection I want out of them, though truth be told they have great note separation.

Kala Reds: These are lasting strings. I have had them on my Makala tenor for 5 months and they are going strong. They have a wound third and fourth, which makes my finger rejoice...but they do not project anywhere near as well as the Aquilas. What they lack in projection, they make up for in sustain- but as most folks do not like wounds (the fourth is wound with nylon) I will spare you the rest. They ring though...ring for days.

Worth: I have tried both brown mediums and clear hards on two sopranos. I took the clears off the next day and tossed them for new Aquilas- they did nothing for me, and deadened the tone of my wife's Kala Lacewood solid. the Browns however are great on my Martin 3M, and they will stay there because I do nt want to mess it up with too high a tension. On that uke they have great projection, decent sustain, and good note separation.
I also had a set of Brown med's (low G) on my Kala Spalted Maple Tenor that I binned after a few minutes- they were flat and lifeless on that uke...read on to see what I did.

Fremont Blacklines: I played Aquila's on my Spalted Maple daily player for 9 months before I got disgusted with the fact that my brain was working faster than my strings could. I have it professionally set-up and was still fighting with being able to change chords as fast as I do on the Martin, so I opted with more tension. This uke is known to have a tone like no other- it rings...not sure if that makes sense, but it is like the only uke Johnny Marr would need. Maybe I should make a video of it, because the tone is really unique. If the Aquilas were just broken in, it was magic, but it lasted literally a day and then I was buzzing. Fremonts cured this immediately. They project just as well, and the note separation and sustain is better. As I progress and do more fingerstyle, I find that I want a "cleaner" sound, and these fit the bill. I cannot speak to how long they last as they have been there three days, but I play four hours a day so I am convinced.

Southcoast: These are from the gods...period. If I did not have to change my tunings all over and transpose to play with others, these would be on every uke I have. As it stands, they are on my Bari right now. I bought my Bari because I loved the way it sounded with Aquila Baritone strings...then I realized I would have to learn a new set of chords to play with my wife or anyone else...so I did. Then my brain froze up and I could not take it, so I ordered a few sets of Aquila gCea sets to try. Thin, no sustain, muddy...that is all I have. They lasted less time than it took to break them in I was so disappointed with them (anyone want a few sets to try- I will send them to you). Back I went to the standard Bari tuning and I loved it for a long time...this is my favorite uke to play, but I wanted GCea tuning.
There is only one outfit that makes Low-G bari strings for a C-tuning...but a little research will show Dirk knows a LOT about strings. I finally ordered some and restrung the Bari- hoping I was nt going to get what I got last time around.
I did not. South-coast linears are my new favorite string...the only downside being they are not all standard tuned. These things have a sustain that is AMAZING (at least on my Kala Mahog with a spruce top). They do not ring for seconds- we are talking minute here easy. They are great on the fingers, and the note separation is absolutely beautiful. My one problem is that they are clear and I can't see them, but most the time I do not need to anyway.

Right- I have tried all the others, but found they weren't worth the time it takes to break them in. Feel free to PM if you want to know more about these particular strings as I have them going in the ukes and can tell you more if needed- happy restringing! New strings are the best part of playing Ukulele I think...
Cheers
TCK

TOTALLY agree. Put the linear on my bari and the tone is heavenly. got my kala cedartop strung with their heavies and tuned down a step. I love the tons of choices their strings give you. Have got worths on my other 2, and am happy there also. different strokes for different ukes.

Last edited:
Give Guadalupe strings a try. I have a set of the Fibre core strings on my resophonic and they have terrific sustain. They are wrapped in nylon and are a tad noisy at first, but that subsides as they break in. They are really growing on me. And you can customize them if you want.

I've had Fremonts on my Kiwaya soprano for about 10 months now, and they're still going strong.

Totally want to try the Guadalupes, but get confused on which ones to buy. Looking at my Vita Uke and thinking she needs a set soon- let me know what you are running Didgeridoo.
ItsameCasey- what are the Pro Arte's made of- they are the most available strings at shops and for some reason I also pass on them...it is probably the packaging as silly as that seems but I will give them a go.
Laouik- that is great to know- I wear through strings fast as I play a lot, and at work...like them to last.
Pippin- yeah, I got bit hard :)

The pro arte's are classical guitar nylon strings. I mainly tried them because they're the strings jake S uses and I'm a sucker for whatever kind of merchandise he uses lol!

New strings are very fun. I even think reading about new strings is fun. Thanks for the post!

You've reminded me to change the strings on my little Harmony! From Aquila to Southcoast light... here I go...

I get great results with Ko'Aloa strings. I use Mahanas on my live woods like maple and Alohis on more mellow woods like mahogany.

Now I'm wondering what strings I should try on my LFdM next...

I notice some are taking off strings within a day, or even minutes, because they sound dull or bad. I'd like to point out that you shouldn't judge a string by how it sounds on the first day, or even the first 3. When you can let the tuning go for a whole day, and not have to tune up, THEN and only then, judge how it sounds. Fremont blackline, for example, sound poor the first hour or two for me, but crisp and resonant when they settle.

Uke strings, whatever material, stretch, and then they settle. While they are in the stretch phase, they may sound good or terrible. After the phase they will sound how they will sound, and sometimes that may just surprise you, terrible will turn to excellent and perhaps good will turn not to your liking. So don't be so quick to judge, because you may be missing out. I've found Fluorocarbon strings the quickest to settle and the most stable, take your pick of the bunch. Aquila are loud to begin, which turns on some, but develop nice tone as well after settling. And it can be uke-specific, but not generally. The more important factor I believe is the style you play.

I've had strings pull sharp because I play some numbers fast, thus heating up the string, you'd think it would flat, but no. This is why I like Fluorocarbon.

Top Bottom