Aldrine's uke.

webby

Reaction score
What uke does Aldrine play?

i particularly like the sound of the one he plays on the "lets get it on" vid on youtube.

thanks

webby

it's a custom koa Kanilea tenor. Someone correct me if i am wrong but thats what it says on his youtube channel. :D

Thank you for the info , so if I get one of those, I will aurtomatically be able to play like him ? :)

Of Course! jk but the reason why he can play so well is because he practices and that is what is his gift at doing something.

Hungry is right. It IS a custom Kanile'a koa tenor.

The specs are listed in his facebook pictures:
Custom Kanile'a ukulele
Made by Master Luthier Joe Souza and Co.
http://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Specs:

"Mary Jane"
Tenor
Slotted headstock
Master grade Oahu Koa (front/back/sides)
Birds eye maple rosette with tortoise shell outline
Ebony binding
Ebony bridge, fretboard, headstock faceplate
Maple "Chibi aldy" inlay
Waverly tuners (hopefully temporary)
UV Finish (Body, headstock faceplate)
Silk finish (Neck)

It's Koa?..for some reason I thought it was walnut..guess I was wrong.

Hungry is right. It IS a custom Kanile'a koa tenor.

The specs are listed in his facebook pictures:
Custom Kanile'a ukulele
Made by Master Luthier Joe Souza and Co.
http://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Specs:

"Mary Jane"
Tenor
Slotted headstock
Master grade Oahu Koa (front/back/sides)
Birds eye maple rosette with tortoise shell outline
Ebony binding
Ebony bridge, fretboard, headstock faceplate
Maple "Chibi aldy" inlay
Waverly tuners (hopefully temporary)
UV Finish (Body, headstock faceplate)
Silk finish (Neck)

Never heard anyone say that hopefully their Waverly tuners are only temporary. Probably the best/nicest tuners on the market.

Never heard anyone say that hopefully their Waverly tuners are only temporary. Probably the best/nicest tuners on the market.

You gotta try the Gilbert tuners. Now those are some nice tuners. Waverly's are definitely nothing to complain about. Of course the Gilbert tuners cost way more.

You gotta try the Gilbert tuners. Now those are some nice tuners. Waverly's are definitely nothing to complain about. Of course the Gilbert tuners cost way more.

Have you tried Gilbert Tuners? I don't really know much about tuners..

Yeah, those are nice too. Don't know that I'd swap out Waverly's for them though :) Both are great, Gilberts are heavier, going to add weight to a headstock.

Waverly tuners are extremely heavy. The Gilberts that I have one there now are way lighter. Also those tuners lock better than waverly's and keep it better in tune.

Yeah, those are nice too. Don't know that I'd swap out Waverly's for them though :) Both are great, Gilberts are heavier, going to add weight to a headstock.
having played with both, waverly's are made of metal while Gilberts are composites. Gilbert tuners are lighter than waverly's by a huge margin

Waverly tuners are extremely heavy. The Gilberts that I have one there now are way lighter. Also those tuners lock better than waverly's and keep it better in tune.

Yep, that's my take on the Gilberts. Best tuners I've ever used by a pretty good margin. John Gilbert is crazy about tight tolerances and precision and his tuners show it. They are also extremely smooth and light.

having played with both, waverly's are made of metal while Gilberts are composites. Gilbert tuners are lighter than waverly's by a huge margin

I'm going to have to give them another shot. Last time I played them the headstock was real heavy, and the guy told me it was b/c of the Gilbert tuners. Never held them by them self. Cool to know that they are lighter :)

I'm going to have to give them another shot. Last time I played them the headstock was real heavy, and the guy told me it was b/c of the Gilbert tuners. Never held them by them self. Cool to know that they are lighter :)

Ukes with Waverly or Grover slot head tuners do not need to be heavy. I use carbon fiber reinforced Spanish cedar for all of my necks, which more than makes up for the additional weight. On the other hand, a mahogany neck with Waverly tuners will likely feel out of balance.

The Gilberts are lighter but they are ugly!!!!

To each his own sir. I don't really like flashy/shiny things on my ukulele. In fact, my ukulele really doesn't have anything fancy on it other than the wood curl. No pearls or shell inlays (with the exception of a discreet tortoise shell around the rosette) or shiny things. That's why I decided to go with the ebony binding and wood inlays.

The waverly tuners that I had on previously threw the whole thing off. It was nice and simple, then slap on some gold tuners... kinda weird.

That and plus they're extremely heavy. I like balanced instruments and the gilberts give it enough weight to even it out from top to bottom letting it have a nice sustain (I noticed a huge sustain difference from the waverly)

Finally; as a dork, to me the gilberts look like something from transformers hahaha. Winner, winner, chicken dinner for me.

Top Bottom