Feeling sorry for myself...

momento

Reaction score
So...my wife buys me my first Uke for Christmas and for a few months it sits in our bedroom. I don't know why I didn't pick it up initially but I think it was something to do with never having been able to get to grips with the guitar despite trying on and off for years.

March arrives and on a day off from work I pick up my Uke and beginners guide and 'have a go'. And it's great! Two months, and lots of practice, later and chords are sticking in my memory and I'm learning songs, joining uke sites and having a great time. Even considering attending my local uke group meeting.

Then two weeks ago I fall downstairs and have to have my collarbone pinned together and mash up the fingers of my left hand. Now in an immobiliser sling for 6 weeks after the op! If no complications then hopefully full recovery in three months after physio.

Just thought I'd post this as feeling down at the minute and could do with some cheering up from fellow uke fans!

(Above all typed slowly with one finger!!!).

Keep on keeping on,is the only way! I played
Guitar for 48 years,had a heart attack,and
simply couldn't be bothered to pick up any of
my instruments.After a while,I spotted a cheap
Mahalo painted uke in the local music shop,and
on impulse bought it.Have since got rid of all my
guitars,bar one,(which I never play!) and built up
a motley collection of six ukuleles,one home made
ukulele banjo,and have dipped my toe in the water
and made two 'biscuit tin' ukes,and a resonator!
If you like it/love it,you will be fine,just take your
time,spend the healing period reading up on the
ukulele,and perhaps collecting songs you like from
the net? I started slowly and have almost a
thousand songs now,and have played (but not
learned!) all of them.Have faith in whatever gets
you through the day!

Hey.. So sorry that you got injured. I can only imagine how you feel. I hurt myself and couldn't play for a week and that was like torture! H
Here's an idea, embrace this time to learn music and theory! Get on amazon and check out some ukulele and music theory books..
Music Theory for Dummies, Fretboard Roadmaps, Chord Melody for the Uke, Understanding ukulele chords.. and read, keep the excitement alive and learn, so you can hit the road running when you can play again...
In the mean time wishing you a speedy recovery!

So very sorry to hear about your accident! They say listening to music can shorten your practice time, so maybe go online and soak up some great ukulele performances. Maybe, if your right hand is free, you can practice some right hand strumming techniques. You could mute the strings on the neck, and work on triple strums, fan strums, tremolo and picking patterns. It takes a lot of repetition to get those techniques, and it would be a good use of you time while you recover.

Uke shopping always cheers me up too.

Good luck.

–Lori

;D

No worries ;D you'll be able to play again, one of the reasons i picked up the uke is becouse my pinky and ringfinger don't always bend (broke them twice) and its getting along just fine atm ^^

Wonderful encouragement and great suggestions.

I concur about mental practice, reading, and listening - oh and right-hand technique (wrap a piece of cloth around the neck and strum those strings).

Hey, you 'wrote' that the uke is the 'thinking man's' violin...

keep 'uke'in',

Glad to hear you are recovering!!! In the mean time listen here to some Island music, it will keep you in the mood!!!
Get well quick....your uke misses you!!!

If it makes you feel any better I broke my right hand last wednesday and received my first uke crushed by UPS on the same day.

Currently waiting for my replacement (uke!) so I can start at least practicing chords with my left. Life's fun ain't it?

Last edited:
You know what they say, "life is what happens to you after you've made plans to do something else." Go watch that new movie about the teenage surfing champion who lost her arm to a shark, then, when you get home, start watching YouTube video how to's and performances that you think you might like. You may even run across the young guy who plays like hell, but just doesn't know how to tune his uke!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Lots of good ideas from all of you and they're really appreciated.

Aloha Momento and Ferret,
Sorry to hear about your injuries..hope you have a good and quick recovery...in the meantime watch You tube Ukulele videos for inspiration and motivation...Happy Strummings, MM Stan

wow momento and ferret, that is rough! :( sorry to hear of your troubles

On the positive, atleast you know in time you will heal and then the ukulele goodness will be yours. Some folks aren't so lucky so while you are licking your wounds also count your blessings. I know easy to say hard to do.

In the mean time ther is plenty you cna do, like studying things baout the uke, liek sight reading memorising the fret board, listening to all sorts of music and training your ears, searching for music an songs to try when you are recovered, learning about the different makes and models etc. uke you are lucky oo in that playing an instrument is good physical therapy for when you are workign on your recovery ;)

best of luck , feel better

Thanks for the well wishes too. I'm not so bad off, not even wearing a full cast and only for a month. I've since mastered the left-handed mouse and logging time watching uke videos and downloading lesson materials.

If it makes you feel any better I broke my right hand last wednesday and received my first uke crushed by UPS on the same day.

Currently waiting for my replacement (uke!) so I can start at least practicing chords with my left. Life's fun ain't it?

OMGOodness!

*sending vibes to upgrade your life!*

Ouch! Sounds like you've been in the wars! I go through stages of not being able to play because of health issues and life getting in the way - and I know how frustrating it is, so as someone suggested, try learning some music theory, I just finished, "Music Theory For Dummies" and man, it was great, I learnt so much! There is also a group of us learning Fretboard Roadmaps, if you want to give that a go, learning a whole heap of stuff in my "downtime"

Hope you get back to being able to play soon! I'll play a song for you tonight!

Good luck with your recovery! I agree with the suggestion to use this time to look at some music theory - I never want to do it over actually playing the uke, but it will make your playing even stronger.

When you start therapy after you heal, the ukulele can be a great way to regain the dexterity in your fingers after being immobilized for a long time. Your therapist will be amazed!

Top Bottom