To scratch or not to scratch, that is the question.

strumsilly

Reaction score
I've been dabbling in clawhammer, and have noticed the top of my favorite uke is getting scratched in the typical spot.It has a satin finish so it really might be getting polished there, but it looks like tiny scratches. Should I do something to protect it, like thin removable plastic, or just let it wear? I have no plans to ever sell it, but you kn ow how that goes.

Depends. If you're uke is a high end one, it probably has a thinner finish than a cheaper factory uke. The thinner the finish, the faster you will go through it. So if you see yourself eating through the finish after a couple years, put something on there to protect it. A thin sheet of mylar will do the trick.

LMI and StewMac have some pick guard material to put there. One of my ukes has a really cool looking pick guard that I really like.
palomino.jpg

Scratch it up Bro! Wear it with pride! Be the Willie Nelson of the Ukulele world, LOL.

I have two boys (9 and 13) who I let play our ukes whenever they want. We have a couple of nicer ukes and they have gotten a few dings and quite a few scratches even though they do their best to treat the ukes well (boys will be boys). My Dad noticed all the scratches on a nice solid Koa soprano that he had given me and I think the uke wears the scratches proudly. Except for my 100 year old Lyon and Healy I say play em, that's what they're here for.

It reminds me of an old quote:
My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You’re tearing up the grass." "We’re not raising grass," my dad would reply, "we’re raising boys."

Depends. If you're uke is a high end one, it probably has a thinner finish than a cheaper factory uke. The thinner the finish, the faster you will go through it. So if you see yourself eating through the finish after a couple years, put something on there to protect it. A thin sheet of mylar will do the trick.

I don't know if a Kiwaya KTC-1 would be considered high end. it is for me though. but it looks so nice, simple and plain, i was thinking clear film.
winnie 002.jpg

I don't know if a Kiwaya KTC-1 would be considered high end. it is for me though. but it looks so nice, simple and plain, i was thinking clear film.
View attachment 24217

My KTS-4 has tiny itsy-bitsy scratches from regular strumming... and the satin finish is getting glossy after 10 months. It's getting used! That's what it's for.

Nevermind, some people use methods to make their instruments look used...

Couple of years? I got through mine in a couple of weeks on my Vita. Wife got through her Lacewood Kala in a couple of months.
I say it was made to be played...it probably ought to look like it is played.
I got a friend who is a great Luthier (of course he does not do Ukes...lame) and his guitars are full of fingerprints and scratches...because he never puts them down.
Adds to the Mojo

Top Bottom