Sausage fingers and ukuleles?

UkeCanDoIt!

Reaction score
What's the best size ukulele for a guy with sausage fingers? Concert or Tenor? I imagine the sopranos are out of the question?

~ Matt

I'd go with tenor or baritone, but baritone typically has a DGBE tuning rather than traditional gCEA. It's your pick.

You may be ok with concert but I'd recommend the tenor size. I think the baritone model is trying too hard to be a small guitar for my liking!

You can play any size, check out an Iz video.

I agree with salukulady. I don't have small fingers, and concert and then soprano are my favorite sizes. My hands are too stubby to have much fun with most tenors.

question, what uke did iz use? i want to say a tenor, but i cant tell. (no offence may his soul rest easy)

One thing I've noticed is that there are different kinds of sausage fingers. There are the meaty fingers that get thinner toward the finger nails and then there are fingers that are thick the entire length. I guess, with enough practice, you can overcome pretty much any physical attribute.

I think Iz played a soprano Martin, tuned with a low G.

As has been hinted (ahem) I'm a big soprano fan. I have thick but stubby fingers (and almost square palms).

I think sopranos have the classic uke sound and always recommend them.

That being said... don't choose the uke because of your finger size. Choose the uke that makes the sounds you want to make. There's going to be a learning curve on any size uke. But you will be able to play it, even a soprano if that's your choice, with your "sausage" fingers.

The Hobbit's back in town. Yea! I knew you'd clear this up.

in spite of my big hands, I've decided that I'm going to get a soprano ukulele since it'll be my first. May as well go cheap and small and work my way up as my skills increase. Just out of curiosity, are the necks wider on the concert and tenor ukes compared to the sopranos?

My sopranino neck is one and 5/16 inches wide. My baritone neck is one and 1/2 inches wide. Less than 1/4 inch difference from the smallest to the largest ukulele.

I'm also new to the Uke, and have only had my Kala KA-S for about two weeks. Im not small at 310 lbs. and needless to say my hands arent small either. The biggest problem im finding is my palm touching the first string when i wrap my hand around it to reach some of the notes that involve the fourth string, and of course my fingers touching other strings. But really all this can be solved and fixed with just a little more time on the uke and practice. My friend has a tenor and I've used it sometimes, and sure theres more room and all but i dont feel like its a uke because of its size. But im thinking of asking for a Concert size uke for Christmas. That'll give me some time to learn on the the KA-S.

I'm also new to the Uke, and have only had my Kala KA-S for about two weeks. Im not small at 310 lbs. and needless to say my hands arent small either. The biggest problem im finding is my palm touching the first string when i wrap my hand around it to reach some of the notes that involve the fourth string, and of course my fingers touching other strings. But really all this can be solved and fixed with just a little more time on the uke and practice. My friend has a tenor and I've used it sometimes, and sure theres more room and all but i dont feel like its a uke because of its size. But im thinking of asking for a Concert size uke for Christmas. That'll give me some time to learn on the the KA-S.

Hey try this. Instead of approaching a chord from under the neck with your fingers try coming in from the headstock. Let me try to explain. You know the area between your thumb and first finger, I call it the crotch of your hand. Set it almost at the bottom of the headstock so your fingering the chords from an angle. That might keep your palm out of the way. You have to readjust when fingering an Em or B7 but it works for most of the chords on the upper neck.

Top Bottom