string color

kevsumac

Reaction score
I've noticed strings are commonly offered in clear, black, or brown. Is the color simply for looks or does it impact anything else?

Not sure, I don't think I know what clear, black, brown, red, white, purple, etc. sounds like! LOL

I don't think the color itself can affect sound waves, however, the material that creates the color might be able to, if that makes sense.

I doubt if the string color effects the sound but I find my uke with the light colored strings is sure easier to see in dim light than the dark ones. (I know, you're not supposed to look at the strings, but I do. Makes me feel more secure than finding I'm on fret 5 rather than 3.)

Leolani Pineapple (light strings)
Kamaka Pineapple (dark strings)

I don't think color has any bearing in general -- just aesthetic preference. The one exception seems to be Worth strings, where the brown and clear strings have different properties. To me the brown seem warmer and more muted, the clear are brighter.

It's more down to the brand to be honest (which isn't to say there are not makers out there that make strings in multicolours (yuk))

Aquilas are creamy opaque white
Worths are either very dark brown or clear
Martin flouros are a pale yellowy clear

There are others

Top Bottom