ukuleles ... aquired taste... does your uke taste change?

Huna

Reaction score
OK so I have a few ukes because none of the music stores around here ... there are not many... carry much, so I buy ukes off the internet ... and learn... ... I used to didn't fully appreciate my Hamano Soprano and now I am starting to appreciate it after listening to various vintage and other ukes on youtube. ... Likewise my Hamano Concert which does not have the full twang of the soprano I did not appreciate when I got it but now I am learning what the tone is of the various ukes and how to appreciate them.. I am curious about the learning curve on how you appreciate ukes? When you started, did they sound one way..? Later did your opinions of various ukes change?

It's more than just my taste in ukes...When I first started out, I played a lot of pop/rock songs. Now that I've been at this a couple of years, my taste in music (that I play, anyway) has kind of settled on the 1920s and 30s. I just really like the complex chord progressions of the old jazz standards. That has kind of dictated my taste in ukes as I'm looking for that vintage tone to match the style of music I'm playing. I really dig the Hamano ukes...but I'm extremely happy with the SK-38 I have now.

Aloha Huna P,
Play as much ukes as you can and learn your likes and dislikes from experience..know what you're looking for in sound most of all..everyone has their own preferences even in tunings, Style, tone etc...
I started on a soprano and worked my way to baritones...now I'm back to sopranos for their traditional sound...but generally I like to play them all....every one is different and you certainly won't get bored..MM Stan

Last edited:
Probably the reason UAS exists. they all sound different and when I play I take three or four out to make some music. I have been known to drag three to friends houses to play as well. THere are sounds I fell in love with...like how the Martin plunks each note down perfectly, or how my Spalted Maple tenor rings, or how my Bari drags each note out longer than the others, or how the banjo uke cuts them all off long before they are done and makes me work harder.
Changes by the minute, by the tune, by the weather and by the mood :)

Probably the reason UAS exists. they all sound different and when I play I take three or four out to make some music. I have been known to drag three to friends houses to play as well. THere are sounds I fell in love with...like how the Martin plunks each note down perfectly, or how my Spalted Maple tenor rings, or how my Bari drags each note out longer than the others, or how the banjo uke cuts them all off long before they are done and makes me work harder.
Changes by the minute, by the tune, by the weather and by the mood :)

Well said Dave.

I am curious about the learning curve on how you appreciate ukes? When you started, did they sound one way..? Later did your opinions of various ukes change?

When I started, they sounded one way, because you couldn't find much in New England in the 70s and 80s except Martin sopranos. When I found the Kawika tenor in the mid-90s, it put every uke I'd ever heard to shame. I got one, and have never felt a need for other ukes since except as backups or travel instruments.

Yes. I never thought I'd really care that much for koa ukes, loving mahogany like I did. But then the Kamakas... So, now I have both. And am weeding down the herd for quality, and personal playability. I like to think my tastes have matured.

I still feel like a newbie but would say my knowledge is expanding and maybe I haven't settled on my "taste" yet. The way the instruments feels and the weight and balance of the instrument is beginning to determine my preferences as well. I am enjoying the journey.

One major reason I have multiple ukes is that I love to record music and blend the tones of two or three different instruments in one tune. My favorite combination of tones is when I record the KoAloha Super-Concert, the KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, and the Oscar Schmidt OU280SWK in the same recording. The blend of those three gives me a rich, full sound that none of them individually can match. I get sweet mellow low-g sound from the Super-Concert, and a very distinct "high" from the Pineapple Sunday, then somewhere in the middle is a mid-voice from the Oscar Schmidt-- not high in volume, but very sweet. The blend is wonderful.

I play a "Classic Mahogany" Mainland Baritone in some songs with soprano or concert uke to create another rich blend. For me, it is all about getting a fat sound.

As I learn new things each day, I'm more interested in the different sounds now. I started with a Soprano then a Concert, Tenor and now I'm interested in the Electric Ukes (eleuke).

I find that the electric ukes give the same songs I've been playing, a whole new sound.

Top Bottom