Ukulele Luthier top/back/sides prefered thickness before glue up

tonewood

Reaction score
I am in the beginning process of resawing a bunch of koa tops/backs/sides. After going through the drum sander I am shooting for 3/16ths for the tops/backs. For the sides I am finishing at 5/32.First question.Of all the parts I have cut thus far there are a few that start to taper down to an 1/8th of an inch.Beginning of another dull blade.So I am thinking to run these through the drum sander and thickness them down to an even 1/8th inch. Now the only reason that I am asking Is at some point these are going to be available online for builders so I would like to get it from the lions mouth.Would you buy a set that was 1/8th inch thick? Take into account that this koa is very beautiful/dense/hard/curly.If your answere is no,then these pieces well become bookmatched headstock veneer and curly binding that will go with each set.Final question/What is the prefered thickness for t/b/s.Thanks again for this forum and all the good input.Cheers

The thickest plate I'd ever use on a uke would be at 2.5mm so your good to go at 1/8" finish sanded.

Backs will be from 2.0 to 2.5mm depending size of uke, stiffness and
density. I've built them lighter but don't care for that style of building.

Sides are always 1.8mm thick, no matter what size of uke.

Tops will vary between 1.6mm to 2.0 mm depending on size of instrument, stiffness of wood, species, and density.

I've made 2...my soprano was between .055 and .065 and my tenor is between .070 and .075 not much thickness. if you make it too thick you'll kill the sound.

I've bought wood from 4 suppliers lately, so your competition out there provides wood at about .110-.140, some sanded, some not. So as Allen says - "good to go at 1/8" finish sanded". Let me know when you have some cut.

Top Bottom