Ohana verus Mainland, your impressions

roxhum

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am having fun playing Ohana and Mainland mahogany concert ukuleles in my attempt to decide which one to keep and which one to sell. I would be interested in the impressions of others who have played the Mainland and Ohana brands of matching ukes.

I purchased the Ohana new and then was offered such a good deal on the Mainland that I couldn't pass it up. I am waiting for an order of strings so I can play them with the same types of strings to determine if I like the sound better on one of them. They are so similar. So far I like the Mainland best because it is prettier and I like the Ohana best because the tuners are lighter making it slightly more comfortable. I would be interested in others assessments.

Thanks!

Both Mainland and Ohana ukes are winners. You can't go wrong with either. I really like Louis Wu of Ohana and Mike Hater of Mainland (and Mike's wife is a sweet lady). The difference is that you can buy direct from Mike at Mainland, while Ohana ukes have to be purchased via one of the retailers selling Ohana. In which case, I can recommend UkeRepublic, UkeLadyMusic, or Elderly Instruments. If MGM still has Ohana ukes in stock... he'll take good care of you.

I already have the ukuleles. I am just assessing them for myself and was curious of others hands on experience and opinions.

I already have the ukuleles. I am just assessing them for myself and was curious of others hands on experience and opinions.

I know the strings are different but which one sounds better to you?

I was given a Ohana, which I loved DEARLY, then accidentally knocked a heavy glass maple shaped bottle of maple syrup on it. Damage was done and I was sad. I bought a Mainland then upgraded to a Honu (which I have not played in forever, feel free to give me heck, lol). I liked both My Ohana and Mainland, hard to say which better.

I think the Ohana and Mainland are equal in quality. So, it just really comes down to the details. You will be happy with either one. If they are constructed with different kinds of wood, they will sound different. You might want to keep both, and see if one of them sounds good tuned to low G. Also, if you think you want two different sounding ukes, try having different strings on each uke.

Just a thought.
–Lori

Last edited:
Tough call. Beauty or comfort? Both are so nice.

Just take your time with the decision, and it will become clear which ukulele is best for you.

Aloha Roxhum,
Perhaps put the same new strings on both of them and do a side by side comparison???
then you will know...I'd go for sound first, playability and comfort second, and beauty last.. ha ha

Yes, I know that. My point is that both are made by companies with integrity and both will serve you well. The rest of what I said is for the benefit of those who read this thread.

Whichever you could replace easier is the one you get rid of. Have to make this decision all the time since I have ants in my pants. Never get rid of something that will be hard to replace.

Just curious, which models are they?

Why not keep them both?

I was given a Ohana, which I loved DEARLY, then accidentally knocked a heavy glass maple shaped bottle of maple syrup on it. Damage was done and I was sad. I bought a Mainland then upgraded to a Honu (which I have not played in forever, feel free to give me heck, lol). I liked both My Ohana and Mainland, hard to say which better.
that is one that needs some explaining! What did you do with it after the syrup was spilled?

Can we have pics of the two ukes in question?

Keep the one you like playing the most, nothing else really matters.
If you can't decide which one that is, put them both up for sale, and keep the last.

I like ohana. The reason? The many different models like the SK-38, solid spruce tops with solid flame maple bottom, etc. Ohana seems to have more variety. In my personal opinon i am not really into the rope binding in the Mainlands.

that is one that needs some explaining! What did you do with it after the syrup was spilled?
There was no spill. It was a heavy bottle that fell on it and cracked it a little. Still playable but needs to be fixed.

I would do a side-by-side sound comparison. My guess is that you won't really be able to tell much difference, and if so, keep the one you like the best on looks. Personally I like the looks of Mainlands better, and I am a big Ohana fanboy.

I sold my SK-35G for a Mainland soprano purely for cosmetic reasons - the Ohana had a sideways grain that looked a little odd to me, and also had white plastic tuners, whereas the Mainland had a straight grain on the front and a wonderful wavey one on the back and sides, as well as amber tuners.

Sound-wise though, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. What I love about Ohana is you know you're going to be getting great sound and build quality, and they seem to always strive to have a uke in almost every wood going, so there's always something to look out for.

Just curious, which models are they?

Hi PhilUSAFret, I have the Ohana CK 35S and the classic Mainland Mahogony. They are basically the same uke. I am actually having fun with them and it keeps coming out 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. I should probably just keep them both for awhile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom