Tuners advice

Regster

Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing to a better ukulele tuners for my ko'olau to waverly or gilbert? Worth it or not? what your guys opinion about waverly or gilbert?

We were just talking about it on a thread regarding Aldrine's Uke. Check it out. Waverly and Gilbert Tuners are both very good. Gilberts are better but more expensive and their looks are definitely not traditional. What's wrong with your current tuners?

We were just talking about it on a thread regarding Aldrine's Uke. Check it out. Waverly and Gilbert Tuners are both very good. Gilberts are better but more expensive and their looks are definitely not traditional. What's wrong with your current tuners?

I actually just saw the thread a couple of minutes ago. About the current tuners their's no real problem with it. Tuning wise its ok, it stays in tune but it is heavy even with the installation of the misi pick-up my uke is still heavy on its tail. I just want a far better tuner that will stay in tune more and a more balanced uke.

Aloha Regster,
Although In haven't tried the tuners you mentioned...If your tuners are working properly, it will so minute difference...I keep wondering if it's really worth it...I'd put the money in the new uke
piggy bank..just my:2cents: :):)

I really like the Wilkinsons on mine... but the only thing I experienced before were friction Gotohs.

Aloha Regster,
Although In haven't tried the tuners you mentioned...If your tuners are working properly, it will so minute difference...I keep wondering if it's really worth it...I'd put the money in the new uke
piggy bank..just my:2cents: :):)

Alot of people would do that but I can't just get a new uke like that. When I was searching for a k brand ukes. This was the only uke I came across, so it had the sentimental value. I had traveled 200 miles to get this uke(dayton to indianapolis). I don't need a lot of uke. It's hard to take care of so many ukes. I don't also think its worth its to buy a uke more than 1000 unless I make music for a living. I just need two descent uke, I already have this and the kamoa. Plus I don't trust internet, I buy a uke, I need to see it and play it face to face.

I'm still debating if I should upgrade because if its working fine why change it.

Alot of people would do that but I can't just get a new uke like that. When I was searching for a k brand ukes. This was the only uke I came across, so it had the sentimental value. I had traveled 200 miles to get this uke(dayton to indianapolis). I don't need a lot of uke. It's hard to take care of so many ukes. I don't also think its worth its to buy a uke more than 1000 unless I make music for a living. I just need two descent uke, I already have this and the kamoa. Plus I don't trust internet, I buy a uke, I need to see it and play it face to face.

I'm still debating if I should upgrade because if its working fine why change it.
If the uke is a keeper and has sentinmental value as well...it may be a thought, but otherwise I would stay with the same set up..as for try before you buy...it's the only way to go..
so when you coming to Hawaii to get your K brand uke??? MM Stan

These tuners intrique me!

Peg-Head planetary geared Tuning Machines
Peghead brand tuners are compact planetary geared tuning machines with a 4:1 turning ratio. They are lightweight, machined out of aluminum with buttons made out of a fiber plastic.

These tuners intrique me!

Peg-Head planetary geared Tuning Machines
Peghead brand tuners are compact planetary geared tuning machines with a 4:1 turning ratio. They are lightweight, machined out of aluminum with buttons made out of a fiber plastic.

I have pegheds on both my Fluke and my Firefly banjo uke. I would not hesitate to have pegheds installed on any uke I would commission, (financially not likely to happen), or any time that pegheds are an option, I would definitely go with them.

-Kurt

thinking about Pegheads for my Gibson baritone. I only have 3 original and they are worn. I keep hoping I can find one more, but haven't so far. I'm reluctant to do the reaming though. wouldn't be any going back, but from what I've heard, why would you want to.

GIBSON KE 001.jpg

I'm thinking of changing to a better ukulele tuners for my ko'olau to waverly or gilbert? Worth it or not? what your guys opinion about waverly or gilbert?

I have both types of tuners on slotted headstocks, and in my opinion the Gilbert tuners are far and away the better tuners. Waverlys look nice and are well made, but I did not find any real differences between it and the much cheaper Grover tuners in terms of its operation. The Gilberts, on the other hand, offers tangible difference in that they really feel butter smooth and seems to offer better fine-tuning (meaning it's easier to be precise with it) compared to Waverlys or any other tuners I've used before. The drawbacks for Gilberts are the high price (although not that much more than Waverlys) and its looks aren't for everyone.

I personally found that the waverly tuners felt smoother and sturdier. I simply chose gilberts based on looks but you really cant go wrong with either. Either way I am sure you will be happy. The difference is amazing once you upgrade. Then again, I made a jump from junk friction tuners to amazing geared ones.

Top Bottom