ukulele blemish buyers

mustacheukuleles

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has had experience with buying blem ukulele's?
i've been looking for one for a while now and don't really know the best place to look. Curious if anyone has a site that has them or could send me in the right direction!
peace and love

Welcome to UU mustacheukuleles!

You can always contact the manufacturers directly. I know KoAloha sells "seconds" and Mike at Mainland will occasionally offer "seconds". Sometimes it's a blemish, and other times it's something that just didn't come out to spec (like a fret marker in the wrong place, or a logo that didn't come out right). Check out their websites http://www.koaloha.com/ and http://mainlandukes.com/ to get contact info. There are probably others that also offer seconds, so you will have to check individually with each company. Or, you can check out used ukes at Flea Market Music marketplace http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp and on the marketplace here on the UU forums.

–Lori

A good example is the Pono slothead tenor that just sold in our Marketplace for $200 below market price. I got a Pono MCD E Concert with Koolau case on ebay with a little ding for $285 with free shipping. They are everywhere.

magic Fluke also sells seconds at their store. I was lucky enough to visit the factory (actually not a factory, but a small homey multi-room workshop, full of great people and pleasant vibes), and tried several of the 2nds they had, and compared them to the first quality instruments. All favorably, I might add.

I ended up with a Fluke M20 Tenor, laminated mahogany top, rosewood fretboard, and b-band pickup system. Oh - and peghed tuners. When I added up the MSRP for the instrument, and compared that to what I paid, I saved about 48%.

They were all nice instruments, the fleas and the flukes, but I just kept going back to that fluke - it just felt and sounded better, and I am really happy with it.

If that helps.

-Kurt

magic Fluke also sells seconds at their store. I was lucky enough to visit the factory (actually not a factory, but a small homey multi-room workshop, full of great people and pleasant vibes), and tried several of the 2nds they had, and compared them to the first quality instruments. All favorably, I might add.

I ended up with a Fluke M20 Tenor, laminated mahogany top, rosewood fretboard, and b-band pickup system. Oh - and peghed tuners. When I added up the MSRP for the instrument, and compared that to what I paid, I saved about 48%.

They were all nice instruments, the fleas and the flukes, but I just kept going back to that fluke - it just felt and sounded better, and I am really happy with it.

If that helps.

-Kurt

I wouldn't be upset if someone forced me to buy a factory second tenor koa top fluke with a pickup

Thanks so much for the advice. I've really been looking into solid koa lately but have also been intrigued by all the solid woods. Its the grain! So beautiful. i will be sure to keep my eyes peeled and update if i find anything amazing! mahalo

Top Bottom