Cheap Ukes?

UkeCanDoIt!

Reaction score
What's the cheapest ukelele worth having? I'm unemployed at the moment and dying to find something cheap or free. I'm sure I'll probably have to wait until a job comes along before I can get anything, but I was too curious not to ask.

I bought my first uke after getting laid off this winter, it's a good way to pass the time between sending out CVs. I bought a Hilo, not the cheapest one, which is around $25, but the next one up which is closer to $40. I restrung it with Aquilas and I have to say, it keeps it's tone pretty well. I would not recommend Mahalos. I bought one of the ones that have the fruit decals on it, less to play, more for decoration and even with better strings it never stays in tune, always sounds like a toy.
I've since picked up a Stagg, a Fluke and a Pono, so I guess it's good I got a job, eh?

+1. my hilo i think was around the $30-$40 mark. I restrung it with some martin strings and it is so much better than before!

I have found the KALA KA-S mahogany soprano restrung with Aquilas (it came with GHS, OK but not great) to be a great sounding first uke. I have tried low G on it, sounds nice, but I'm putting high G back on it and buying a KALA KA-ST spruce top tenor with low G to play until I get back to Kaneohe in the spring to try out the Pono instruments.

I got it for $40 at Harry's in Kaimuki.

ah.clem

My first was a Johnson uk-120 39$ and with the new strings is sounds pretty good.
I have a couple of the Kala KA-S I paid 59$each for them and with stock strings they had a much better sound better than my Johnson I replaced the strings on both those and it made them sound even better.
I'll still play the Johnson every so often just because.

I'd tell anyone looking for a inexpencive starter uke to go with the Kala KA-S.

WHOOOOOO
so many people have these haha :D wait ... i think we have same anyways :d

Makala's are cheap these days, and great sound!

i second the makalas by a lot, throw some aquilas on there and theyre awesome, I like it just as much if not better than my kala ka-st which cost 3 times as much:D

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I did some checking and this is what I've found:

Johnson UK-120 - $39.95+s/h = $51.90
Lanikai LU-21 - $49.00+s/h = $54.95
Ohana SK-10 - $39.95+s/h = $44.95
Makala MK-S - $34.95+s/h = $49.95

These are in the price range I might be able to spend. Yeah, I'm so desperate to learn and fill my spare time between job searching that I'm going to cash in my spare change and see what I got. Which of these would be the best option as far as overall quality and sound and friendlier to fat fingers? I guess at this price range I can't ask for much, but something is better than nothing. Assuming all of them would sound better with new strings, which strings do you recommend? Thanks!

Last edited:
I've played both the Makala and the Johnson the Makala sounds better with the stock strings. I went Kala over Makala just for the look (Makala is the intro Kala)
I havent played the other 2.

If money is tight just leave the stock strings till you get better with the chords and strumming.

Well, based on the responses and some external research, it sounds like my best bet would be to find a good deal on a Makala or Kala soprano. I'd like to get a Flea or Fluke, but those are out of my price range at the moment.

I took my change bottle to the bank and cashed it in. I was happy to see that I had enough to FINALLY buy myself a ukulele. Today I purchased a Makala MK-S ukulele for $49.95. Not sure how long it'll take to get here from Hawaii. :)

congrats! i think you will like it...it's a uke! how can one not like it?

let anyone know if you have any questions!

Sweet! Congratulations. You're gonna love it.

It shouldn't take that long to get there from Hawaii. Of course, that's easy for me to say, since I'm not the one waiting for it. :p

I took my change bottle to the bank and cashed it in. I was happy to see that I had enough to FINALLY buy myself a ukulele. Today I purchased a Makala MK-S ukulele for $49.95. Not sure how long it'll take to get here from Hawaii. :)

Good for you man. and good luck on the job search... just think, once that is all taken care of you can upgrade that uke...maybe get a concert, or a tenor...or both......:)

Wow, talk about a bummer. I ordered my Makala MK-S ukulele last week and I was hoping to get it today or tomorrow. I received an e-mail today stating that they were out of stock and that they were going to try and get the manufacturer to direct ship one to me. I wonder how long that'll take. I was hoping to have my first ukulele by the weekend! :(

Oh that's bad luck. Ask them to give you some Aquila strings as a goodwill/compensation gesture. You never know your luck!

I started with a Makala and it's since helped a couple of people get started. Currently, the landlady of my local pub is playing it. You made a good choice!

Top Bottom