GHS strings

h-drix

Reaction score
i just bought GHS strings (black), i know there the lowest of the low when it comes to strings, but i was hoping they would be an improvement on the no name clear strings that came with my uke.

Anyways, the g E and A strings sound fine, no problem. The C string is just horrible, the string not only rattles but also makes the uke sound half dead. Has anyone else had this problem?

unfortunately i cant return the strings, but i was just wondering if this is all GHS strings or just this one pack?

i just bought GHS strings (black), i know there the lowest of the low when it comes to strings, but i was hoping they would be an improvement on the no name clear strings that came with my uke.

Anyways, the g E and A strings sound fine, no problem. The C string is just horrible, the string not only rattles but also makes the uke sound half dead. Has anyone else had this problem?

unfortunately i cant return the strings, but i was just wondering if this is all GHS strings or just this one pack?

I change all mine to aquilas or worths, but my daughters uke still has the original GHS that came with it and she hasn't noticed anything unacceptable about them.

First....is your C string wound or nylon?

Usually its not the string that rattles, but something on the uke. Are you talking about buzzing sound when you play a chord like the string is hitting a fret when you strum or pick a chord or note, or the rattle could mean that the tuner peg has gotten loose. Try and isolate where the sound is coming from and when does this sound occur when you play.

Last edited:
Its nylon

it occers either open plucked or strumed, im almost positive its where the string touches the top of the fret board (dont know what its called) then it goes to the pegs. if i do hold the first fret and pluck there is a light buzz ON the fret board, which i cant seem to isolate. also its not the peg.

If it was just that i wouldn't have a HUGE problem with it, but it just sounds dead. Like its been on the uke for decades. when i strum it stands out like a sore thumb.

its pissed me off to the point where i just took off the C string off. I am no playing gEA, i still have the string though, ill put it back on and mess with it for a while.

edit: another thing it might be is that the saddle(?) is holding the string to tight.idk though

Last edited:
The GHS string gauge is probably thinner than the original string the uke came with. That white piece at the beginning of the fret board is called the nut. What is happening is that the string is sitting lower in the groove of the nut so when you press down on the first fret, somewhere down the fret board, the string is touching one of the metal frets giving you a buzz. Try putting the original C string back on and see if that works. If there is no buzz after that, you will have to adjust the nut to use the C GHS string. To fix the nut would get too technical to explain and not that easy to do. Go find a luthier.

So i put on the old string, guess what...? this string sounded dead as well, never sounded like this before, after taking it off and putting it back on it sounds horrible.

im guessing its what you said, the whole nut thing. Again another problem, the fret board is plastic, and even if it wasnt a $60 uke is not worth the trouble to take to a luthier. Ill try to put some paper underneath the string to raise it up. Ill try paper, and if that goes well ill try some epoxy and let it dry.

Plastic! aaaaahhhhhhhh.

Oh well. Remember about the old string and new strings. They have to stretch. Yes even an string that was okay and taken off needs to stretch and settle down again.

As far as the nut thing.....try the tip of a pointed toothpick. I heard that works sometimes.

Top Bottom