New Gutailele from Cordoba--called Guilele

maikii

Reaction score
The Yamaha GL-1 guitalele just recently came to the US, but now already has a competitor. Well, not exactly a competitor, as it is in a different price range.

Take a look on the Cordoba guitars web site, and they have a new guitalele called "guilele". It was supposed to become available here yesterday, June 3, 2011. I do not know if they are actually available anywhere yet..

Definitely looks like some upgraded components compared to Yamaha. Solid spruce top. (Perhaps solid overall, but I do not recall.) Bone saddle, looks like better quality components overall.

Of course though, the real test would be in the listening and playing. I really like the sound of my GL-1, and like to play it. (Although the action was too high out of the box, and I had to pay a shop $40 to lower it.)

It costs twice as much as the Yamaha GL1. The latter sells for $99, and the Cordoba Guilele will sell for $199. Still much less though, than the Hawaiian guitaleles like those from Kanilea, Koaloha, Mele, etc.

Anyhow, if anyone here runs across a real live Cordoba Guilele in a store, please try it and report to us, how it plays and sounds. If there is a Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele in the same store, try one right after the other, and compare how they sound, how they play, etc.

Thank you.

IMO the Cordoba Guilele is leaps and bounds nicer than the Yamaha (at least from the prototype Cordoba). It is more money though, $199. To me it is on par with the KoAloha as far as sound goes.

We've got some on order at our store. Taking preorders now. They come with a nice gigbag. They are not expecting them until later July though.

I just bought a Cordoba Requinto 480. I have no idea how to play a 6 string instrument, so this should be an adventure. And I'm not sure what the difference is between a requinto and a guilele. I'll report back after it arrives and I've had a chance to play it.

I just bought a Cordoba Requinto 480. I have no idea how to play a 6 string instrument, so this should be an adventure. And I'm not sure what the difference is between a requinto and a guilele. I'll report back after it arrives and I've had a chance to play it.

The standard requinto tuning is exactly the same as the guitalele (guilele): AECGDA (starting from first string). Exactly the same as a guitar, except a fourth higher (as if a capo on the fifth fret). (There are players, however, like the great Jeff Linsky, who tune a requintoa full step lower than that,to terz guitar tuning, GDBbFCG.)

The difference is in size. The most common guitalele size (like the Yamaha GL1, and I think the Cordoba Guilele as well,) is the same as a tenor ukulele (same scale 17 inch), but with six strings. There are other sizes though, as the guitalele is not standardized at all. The Mahalo uke guitar has the width of a tenor uke, but is longer, and has a longer scale, a little under 19 inches. (Actually 48 cm, the same as the instrument you ordered.) I think the Kala U-Tar is about the same size and scale as a bari uke..

A standard size requinto is considerably larger than that, although smaller than a full size guitar. I have an OScar Schmidt requinto , which I think is standard size. (Good deal by the way-solid cedar top, nice tone, cost me less thah $170 total). Its scale length is 23"., about 58½ cm. In order to tune an instrument of that size up to requinto-guitalele tuning, one has to use significantly thinner strings, a requinto string set. (Whereas, a guitalele, due to the smaller size, can use a regular classical guitar string set, to tune that high.)

So the standard tuning for requinto and gu(ta)lele is the same. The dfference is in the size of the instrument, which affects the tone. A requinto sounds more guitarrish, while a guitalele sounds more uke-ish.

The instrument you are buying, the Cordoba Requinto 480, is actually much smaller than a standard requinto. The size is in between a guitalele and requinto, actually close to the former, with a scale length the same as the Mahalo uke guitar, and I think smaller than the Kala U-tar. (I would think you could use regular normal tension CG strings on it.) I would like to see and hear one of those, but I have not seen one in any store. So please do write us a thorough report. Thank you.

Thanks, maikii, for the explanation. Amazon.com ended up sending me a Cordoba Requinto 580 instead of the Requinto 480 I ordered, so I'm going to return it. Since amazon.com was the only online retailer advertising that it was selling a Requinto 480, I wrote to Cordoba to ask where I could get one. Oddly, the "buy now" link on Cordoba's Requinto 480 web page directed me to vendors selling the Requinto 580.

Thanks, maikii, for the explanation. Amazon.com ended up sending me a Cordoba Requinto 580 instead of the Requinto 480 I ordered, so I'm going to return it. Since amazon.com was the only online retailer advertising that it was selling a Requinto 480, I wrote to Cordoba to ask where I could get one. Oddly, the "buy now" link on Cordoba's Requinto 480 web page directed me to vendors selling the Requinto 580.

Yes, their Requinto 580 would more be the size of a normal requinto. So if it is requinto that you want, you might want to stick with it. Their 520 and 480 are smaller, getting closer to a guitalele (especially 480--certainly closer to guitalele than requinto in size).

Considering that the link on the Cordoba web site to 480 brought you to 580, makes me wonder if the 480 has been discontinued? (Especially since they have a guitalele coming out soon.) You might want to call Cordoba and ask. Of course, if discontinued by the manufacturer, there still could be vendors who have a couple in stock. You might have to check around, and before ordering online, call or e-mail them to make sure that it really is the 480. There also could be people selling theirs used--check Ebay, craigslist, etc.

If you ever get one, please write a review. Thank you.

Yes, their Requinto 580 would more be the size of a normal requinto. So if it is requinto that you want, you might want to stick with it. Their 520 and 480 are smaller, getting closer to a guitalele (especially 480--certainly closer to guitalele than requinto in size).

Considering that the link on the Cordoba web site to 480 brought you to 580, makes me wonder if the 480 has been discontinued? (Especially since they have a guitalele coming out soon.) You might want to call Cordoba and ask. Of course, if discontinued by the manufacturer, there still could be vendors who have a couple in stock. You might have to check around, and before ordering online, call or e-mail them to make sure that it really is the 480. There also could be people selling theirs used--check Ebay, craigslist, etc.

If you ever get one, please write a review. Thank you.

I spoke to a Cordoba representative a few weeks ago, to let Cordoba know that (i) it had shipped Requinto 580s to amazon.com in Requinto 480 boxes and (ii) it was having a problem directing people wanting to buy a Requinto 480 from its website to a vendor. I was told that someone would look into both problems. Cordoba still has Requinto 480s, though. Cordoba was nice enough to ship a Requinto 480 to one of its regular vendors in the Bay Area, and I'm going to pick it up later today. I'll let you know what I think of it after I'd had a chance to play it for a while.

Hi There! Don't waste your money on the Cordoba Guilele! I have just tried it yesterday myself and it sounds actually worse than the Yamaha GL-1 Guitarlele for 70$ which is made fully out of laminate. Maybe it's because they are made in China, I don't know, but I was shocked how bad it sounds! Even tuned in A there was nothing coming out! NO WAY that it ranks with the KoAloha 6 String Guitarlele. - Just thought to let you know.

Michael

Sounds sketchy, especially from someone with only one post. I rather like the Cordoba Cadete, which hopefully will begin my foray into the 6 string business.

The Aria 6 string seems really nice to me. I have played a few of them, while not on the level of my D-VI, definitely playable and nicer than the Yamaha.

Sounds sketchy, especially from someone with only one post. I rather like the Cordoba Cadete, which hopefully will begin my foray into the 6 string business.

What has the amount of posts to do with it??? I certainly don't just wanna talk that Guilele ''bad'' or anything.

I ordered it via a shop here in Hamburg, because it was surpose to sound so much better than the Yamaha GL-1. I really wanted to buy one, and I actually believe I got that prototype in the video, because it had no cutaway AND the pick up system, which will be two different Guileles when they really produce them. So that prototype would have been extra cool! I really wanted to like it, but the Yamaha GL-1 sounds better. Everything they had in this direction in the shop sounded better. And I don't like the Yamaha either, I gave it to a friend and will have to spend more money now, to get the quality I want. I might go for an Octave-Guitar. Very small, an octave higher than a regular guitar, and very nice sounding. I am a pro musician and I want a small guitar to be able to practice classical guitar when I am on tour again next year. I actually only posted it here, because I wanted to get the Guilele because of this Thread.

All the best!
Michael

Have you considered the Cordoba Requinto 480? I still haven't played mine enough to post an opinion about it, but it won an award for best new instrument a few years ago at NAMM, and I think it sounds a lot better than the Yamaha GL-1. Amazon.com sells them for $249 US.

My apologies, Michael. It was just the way you were typing and the lack of posts that made me think it sounded sketchy. Perhaps you just found a bad lemon? Every other Cordoba guitar I've tried has been pretty solid.

Have you considered the Cordoba Requinto 480? I still haven't played mine enough to post an opinion about it, but it won an award for best new instrument a few years ago at NAMM, and I think it sounds a lot better than the Yamaha GL-1. Amazon.com sells them for $249 US.

Thanks for your replies! The Cordoba Requinto 480 is certainly a different story. I am sure it sounds better than the Yamaha. It has a bigger body for sound. But it is still too long for me. The Octave Guitar from Hellweg is only a bit over 27 inches (70 cm). It looks like this:
http://www.leihinstrumente.de/Gitar...40/Bilder/oktavgitarre-hopf-hellweg-og40.html

Last edited:
My apologies, Michael. It was just the way you were typing and the lack of posts that made me think it sounded sketchy. Perhaps you just found a bad lemon? Every other Cordoba guitar I've tried has been pretty solid.

No prob. Actually I think I did get the prototype, they haven't started selling it officially yet. And maybe the prototype wasn't so good. It had no cutaway and the pickup electronics in it, which I don't need and that might have killed some sound too. But I won't even bother with that model anymore; won't be such a hugh difference between the prototype and the final series in the end. I think I'll go for the Octave Guitar from Hellweg; the sound blew me away and you can play with other guitars together, because it is only an Octave higher tuned.

All the best!

Thanks for your replies! The Cordoba Requinto 480 is certainly a different story. I am sure it sounds better than the Yamaha. It has a bigger body for sound. But it is still too long for me. The Octave Guitar from Hellweg is only a bit over 27 inches (70 cm). It looks like this:
http://www.leihinstrumente.de/Gitar...40/Bilder/oktavgitarre-hopf-hellweg-og40.html

Very expensive! Almost $700 US!

An octave guitar would be cool, but not at that price!

As far as "playing together with other guitars", the guitalele or requinto tuning (perfect fourth higher than normal guitar), plays together very well with other gutiars. You just have to know the transposition. For instance, if the other guitars are playing a song in the key of F, you have to play in the key of C, to sound like F. (Just like a trumpet player knows that when he plays a C, it really sounds like a Bb.)

I would think that a guitalele could be tuned as an octave guitar, if one got thin enough strings that they could be stretched that much to tune that high.

Actually, if I am reading correctly, it looks like that octave guitar has a scale of 40cm, which equals 15.748 inches, not that much less than the 17 inch guitalele scale. I wonder what kind of strings it uses?

Some steel string guitarists tune in what is called Nashville tuning, where strings 1 and 2 are normal, but 3 through 6 are much thinner than usual, and are tuned an octave higher. I don't know if anyone has done that with nylon strings though.

I have a Hawaiian friend bought a 6 string Kamaka. He had no idea what to do with the other two strings. I created a translator for him which shows (in a circle) how to play a chord if you have 4 or 6 strings tuned GCEA or ADGCEA. It also shows the same info for DGBE or EADGBE. A requinto is ADGCEA. I am yet to be able to get stuff onto this site. Even trying to send private messages is yet to be successful.
I have had both guitarlele and requinto. The body is a bit bigger with the requinto, but the fingerings are the same. OKAY....it exists in a Word file in pdf. How do I get it on here?

I don't know if Kamaka makes a guitalele. Are you sure it wasn't a 6 string uke, where two strings are doubled or octaved? That's how a six string is usually strung, hope he didn't destroy his Kamaka. Kamaka does make on of those.

Just throwing a note in here--if someone DID get a Yamaha guitarlele or whatever they spell it and hates it, a new set of different strings (I tried D'Addario pro arte on my Yamaha classical) can make a world of difference. I was surprised. If you do get a guitar you don't like, trying a string change before getting rid of it can be a cheap way to find out.

I don't know if Kamaka makes a guitalele. Are you sure it wasn't a 6 string uke, where two strings are doubled or octaved? That's how a six string is usually strung, hope he didn't destroy his Kamaka. Kamaka does make on of those.

The Kamaka site does list a tenor 6-string and it is not a guitalele. Here is part of the description.

The 6-string has doubled first and third strings tuned in octaves. Also known as "the Liliu," the Tenor 6-String was designed by Sam Kamaka Jr. in 1959 to commemorate Hawaii statehood and pay tribute to Hawaii's last reigning monarch, Queen Liliuokalani.

Top Bottom