The "Luthier Appreciation Thread!"

UkeToaster

Reaction score
It's pretty simple: We love luthiers!!!

So:
1. Give a shout out to your favorite luthier!
2. Post a pic of their work, whether it's yours or not.
3. Post something about them and/or their website!

Also, if YOU are a luthier, give us a show and tell of your work :)

We love ukes, and without luthiers they're wouldn't be quality ones.

Last edited:
I've had the fortune of getting ukes from a few amazing luthiers...Gordon and Char Mayer of Mya Moe, Mike Pereira of MP Ukuleles, and Jerry Hoffman of Boat Paddle Ukuleles.

1. Got to give a shout out to my favorite though...Mr. Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah Ukes.

2. My Moore Bettah:
16.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

09.jpg

3. Check out his video page for some sound samples...I'm just below Matt Dahlberg aka the Jumping Flea.

Oh two come to mind .. I think the Boat Paddles are wondermous!
hardcase.jpg

and the Mya Moe Reso .. swoon!
mya-moe-1.jpg

Wow Susie! Those are beautiful!!! The guys over at Mya-moe are very good at what they do, thanks for the posts!

That thing looks incredible ^^!

Keep 'em coming people, ya know you want to :)

This'll hardly be unexpected from me after the last week :D

Luis Feu de Mesquita, for his Amigo ukes. He only makes a handful every year.

He's an absolute gentleman and will spend a lot of time talking, sharing. I had the privilege of meeting him in his workshop.

ukaferri3.jpg

ukaferri4.jpg

There's rumour that the last unsold Amigo (a cutaway version) may be purchased from him very soon by another member of UU... what have I started?! :p

I'm still completely blown away by it. I'm getting used to the larger tenor nexk (only played soprano before) and will post better videos soon.

Wow laouik! That uke really gives off a mariachi-vibe. Love it!

snip ... ?! :p

I'm still completely blown away by it. I'm getting used to the larger tenor nexk (only played soprano before) and will post better videos soon.

What a beauty! I like. I am waiting on a Sailor Uke :) It is a tenor too. I was so worried that I wouldn't like it, so I got a Lanikai S-T so I could be getting used to it. I am really enjoying a tenor. Thank goodness!

What a beauty! I like. I am waiting on a Sailor Uke :) It is a tenor too. I was so worried that I wouldn't like it, so I got a Lanikai S-T so I could be getting used to it. I am really enjoying a tenor. Thank goodness!

Thank you. It's stunning.

ukaferri2.jpg

ukaferri5.jpg

But best of all is how it plays!!

I moved up to the tenor mostly for the fretboard. Being 6'5", my pinky finger is larger than most women's index finger... so you can imagine.
:p

Of the luthiers I've actually gotten instruments from, my favorites are William King and Dave Means (Glyph). The ukes I got from these guys are far and away my favorites:

William King long-scale tenor & long-scale concert
DSC_1523.JPG

DSC_8078.jpg

DSC_1513.JPG

Glyph mezzo-soprano
DSC_2891.JPG

I will say I really like the way Char & Gordon (and now Aaron Keim) at Mya-Moe runs their operation and the huge amount of information they provide their customers. As far as that goes, they are tops.

Well I have to start with my first uke a custom Kanile'a tenor, it got everything started
Ukeanglearmsm.jpg

Then I wanted something kind of different so i ordered a Black & White Ebony lap Steel tenor from Mya-Moe, i cannot say enough good things about what a pleasure it was to work with Char and Gordon,
Mya-Moec2sm.jpg

And finally my Moore Bettah tenor an absolute dream uke made by Chuck Moore, I could not be happier, Chuck is just so wonderful to work with and the instruments he produces are a work of art.
outfrontsidesm.jpg

headinlaysm.jpg

Wow That moore bettah is a dream, thinking about how that thing plays give me chills!

My Pete Howlett. Doubt I'll ever find a nicer uke than this.
318008_10151736778270693_416053892_n.jpg

Wow. I can't wait to get my custom and join this thread. Be back in ten months?

Top Bottom