Reluctant Sale: Vintage Banjo Ukulele, circa 1920s 1930s, $120<SOLD>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiyah888

Reaction score
I've been working myself up to sell this for about a month!

Circa 1920s or 1930s, this bright sounding banjo uke was beautifully restored by Ukulele Underground Member twotrax and came to me via UU Member jnobianco (who knows banjo ukes and put a set of Worth clears on it!).

No resonator. Pretty detailing! Walnut colored w/ contrasting back stripe down the neck.

After playing this piece of history for 2+ months, I realize that the Formby style isn't natural for me at all. And I'm nervous about breaking it.

Plus, the funds will support the Ukulele portion of the World Music Outreach project which I'm facilitating.

I'd like it to be in a home where someone can do it justice.

There is a caveat -- the 12th fret and 17th fret are heavier gauge wire than the others; at some point, a previous owner replaced them.

If you play that high up the neck routinely, you'll want to replace at some point with matching lighter gauge fret wire.

I paid $100 plus $15 shipping for it, but will need to purchase a new box and packing material to protect it to send it to its new owner, thus the extra $5.

Thanks for reading this ad, and may everyone find the right and perfect ukes for them!

54901-BanjoUke2.jpg

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/images/market/37414-banjoUke1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a Slingerland/S.S. Stewart build, but with no markings...hmmmm. Could you measure the head for me?
Thanks-
Dave

Head Measurement

7 1/4 inches from one tightening nut edge to the other.

The wooden circle is 7 inches in diameter from the outside edge.

Here is some more information on this, from jnobianco:

I have what looks to be Tonk Brothers or Regal banjo uke. It's walnut and has just been wonderfully restored and refinished by one of our fellow members, Tim (Two Trax). I bought it from him last month along with a really spiffing Stromberg Voisinet.

This uke is oddly well decorated and just top quality for a TBC uke - with a three-piece neck, ebony headstock face and fretboard, sandwich heel cap. New tuners were installed by Tim. I just put a new bridge on it and sanded it to bring the action down. It's in great shape.

I was going to put it on eBay next week, but if you're interested in seeing it, contact me via pm. I'd rather it goes to someone who's really interested in this kind of little uke. I'd keep it, but I've got a Slingerland 20 and several others, and don't really want another open back.

Other measurements:

Headstock:

length from the nut to the point at the top = 4 inches
width at the widest part (top) = 2 1/4 inches
width just above the lower set of tuning pegs = 1 31/32 inches

Total length:
20 1/4 inches

17 frets

Thank you everyone for your interest!

This uke has been sold to a member of my local Uke Meet-up, and will transfer hands tomorrow.

May everyone find their right and perfect vintage banjolele quickly and easily!

WOW-missed it by that much! John's endorsement on a banjo uke is gold...he is the guru :) Glad it found a new home...wife is glad it ain't ours.

Haha, my Slingerland is lonely! I found a Stromberg-Voisinet that I might pick up, the resonator is a bit scratched up though.

Glad your home is harmonious in other ways right now!

WOW-missed it by that much! John's endorsement on a banjo uke is gold...he is the guru :) Glad it found a new home...wife is glad it ain't ours.

I know, I bow to the Banjo Uke Yoda!

My buddy lovvvvvvvvvvvves the lil banjo uke and we jammed for about 30 minutes when I dropped it off last night.

HIS wife actually loves the sound! Of course, it's only his second uke, and the first was his dad's old Montgomery War Airline, which he let me play.

Total retro/vintage jam!

I know, I bow to the Banjo Uke Yoda!

My buddy lovvvvvvvvvvvves the lil banjo uke and we jammed for about 30 minutes when I dropped it off last night.

HIS wife actually loves the sound! Of course, it's only his second uke, and the first was his dad's old Montgomery War Airline, which he let me play.

Total retro/vintage jam!

That's great. And thanks for the endorsement, both a youse.

Zac - did you go for that SV ebonized maple job on eBay?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...yfsmbMc%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT Other than the resonator, I think it would clean up very well.

That's the one! I thought so too. I feel like after a good cleaning and maybe a fret dress, it'll do just fine (other than the resonator, which the audience won't see anyway :p).

So you got it? That was a pretty decent final price! When you get it into shape, please post photos. I keep a record of every SV uke I've ever run across, which I should probably put online one of these days...

Yep, I got it. I made my girlfriend stay on it on my phone while we were driving to a concert xD. I'll make sure to send you some pictures when it's nice and clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom