New yorker here!

bearsgotuke

Reaction score
Hi all;

So happy to have stumbled upon this forum.
My name is Claire, I am from Long Island, New York.

Just took the plunge and ordered a concert uke. I was never much of a musician. I played the Saxophone in middle school but somehow never learned how to really read music...lets just say I learned to play by ear and then memorized songs...

Im ready to learn the uke the right way and put the time and effort into it....lots of questions on this forum along the way no doubt!!

Anyways, enough...end rant/:cool:

Aloha Claire,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and congratulations on buying your first ukulele..Have fun and enjoy...by the time, you can google Musiceteacher2010 and Keonepax for an awesome ukulele
video tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords and instrunstions...we have several members from your area...Happy strummings..MM Stan

very happy to say I got my first uke today...UPS man dropped it off. I went with your basic beginner concert uke, a kala ka-c. On long island, I havent had much luck finding a local shop with a ukulele in it that I could hold and play and get a feel for. I must say this kala uke feels so delicate...I guess since its relatively cheap I dont worry about beating on it a little while I learn...now I must think of a name for it! Nails are trimmed, I am ready to get after it!

anyone have a name suggestion? Im sure it will just come to me one day...

Congrats on your new uke!

Kala makes pretty decent instruments, especially for their price point. As to it being "delicate", actually thinner solid woods are generally considered better than heavy laminates as far as tone quality and volume goes. My Kala uke is really no more "delicate" than my (expensive) handmade guitars.

You said your nails are trimmed... short nails on your fretting hand are pretty much mandatory since you will have problems pressing the strings down if your nails get in the way, but most people keep the nails on their picking/strumming hand a bit longer.

As far as naming your uke, some people are into that, others aren't. I always just refer to my instruments by the brand/luthier name.

Welcome Claire to UU and to the wonderful world of ukulele. Congratulations on your new/first ukulele. You have come to the right place to learn and ask questions. You will find uu a friendly and helpful community.

I think lurking around this site is what causes this "UAS" you all talk about. So far, I think ive taken to the uke pretty well. Religiously practicing technique stuff (boot camp, strumming ect) with a little bit of fun learning some song stuff, no where near good sounding, but better than I woulda thought!

Anyways heres my question. As I steadily improve, Im hoping to add a new uke to have in my room to stare at and get good enough to "play it properly" I came across a pono pto tenor for $265...is it worth it to pick up? Opinions greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom